status-cantfix-or-wontfix I recommend VIP status to appraise domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
After seeing some ridiculous appraisals, I noticed that the vast majority are from new users. To accurately gauge the value of a domain one must have enough experience to distinguish the difference between garbage and premium. Unfortunately, most of the new accounts have no idea what constitutes a a 5 or 6-figure domain, yet they consistently appraise at this price point. This is actually puts the OP at a disadvantage because he or she may now assume there is more value than there actually is, which could impede a potential sale. Appraisals should be open for regular users to post but only for VIPs to respond.

This actually excludes my own account so don't get too riled up over my recommendation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes that's true, but actually all you have to do is make a bunch of posts in a few of the more popular threads and the likes can be gotten fairly easy.

I suppose this is true.

•••
I suppose this is true.
Yes, unfortunately it is. I have been here a year and have been very active to get the numbers I have. I have seen people who have been here a couple of months only and have double or triple what I have.

I also don't make one word replies like many other do. According to forum rules those are considered spam. I have seen many, many people make posts like "LOL", "True", "I Agree" or something similar.

It's easy to get thousands and thousands of posts like that. Then all you need to do is get the likes.

•••
Yes, unfortunately it is. I have been here a year and have been very active to get the numbers I have. I have seen people who have been here a couple of months only and have double or triple what I have.

I also don't make one word replies like many other do. According to forum rules those are considered spam. I have seen many, many people make posts like "LOL", "True", "I Agree" or something similar.

It's easy to get thousands and thousands of posts like that. Then all you need to do is get the likes.

I do see your point. Hmmmm. I still think there is a better solution. I guess my original idea was flawed though.

•••
I do see your point. Hmmmm. I still think there is a better solution. I guess my original idea was flawed though.

Yeah, I agree that there must be something better. It might be hard to get everyone to agree on something though. Maybe if we had some kind of bulk Skype session or mass chat session where everyone can voice their opinions something could be worked out.

Maybe they can do some sort of voting on what things they would like to see implemented.

•••
These two statements together don't make it obvious?

That's because I did not add 'to end-user' after 'sale price' as I assumed it is understood.

•••
That's because I did not add 'to end-user' after 'sale price' as I assumed it is understood.

So the best appraisal is the sold price when it is sold to a specific person or business?
That's hardly the same as: "But there is no better appraisal than the sale price, period."
It also assumes that you know the budgets and universe of end users.

You also need to consider the inverse thought of your statement.
"But there is no better appraisal than the price you can not sell if for. Period."
Especially in the case where you were a buyer.

All a sale price does is say how much your transaction was worth - absolutely NOTHING about the actual value unless you're the domainer with mind reading capabilities (and these psychics are busy registering names that people checked in GoDaddy).

It's also why the people that make the most money are the ones operating as "brokers" ;)

And no, I won't explain that further.

•••
I think we can all agree that $20 to my PayPal account to appraise domains will show that they're serious about their appraising. I'm glad we can come together and solve this issue.

•••
@defaultuser

Yes, the best appraisal is the sale price to an end-user. I heard that a lot too and I agree with it, you don't. I do not know 'the budgets and universe of end-users' but it is not rocket science to research your potential buyers and see what they are up to.

I have NEVER bought a domain as an end-user and I agree that the people who make the most money in the world are intermediaries, there are solid reasons behind that. Some make money, some hate those who do.

You don't need to explain anything further, just stop biting your thumb.

•••
In my opinion, it's best to appraise on the lower end of the spectrum. Some people set themselves up for incredible over-estimations, which only leads to disappointment and failure on auction sites, etc. I mean, it's important to be reasonable when choosing your asking price.

•••
In my opinion, it's best to appraise on the lower end of the spectrum. Some people set themselves up for incredible over-estimations, which only leads to disappointment and failure on auction sites, etc. I mean, it's important to be reasonable when choosing your asking price.
Nicely put, you are right there. I see some appraisals being given to people saying their random 5 or 6 letter domains are worth mid to high $xx,xxx or something like that and that's just being unreasonable.

Go and look in the top domains marketplace here. There are people with domains listed that would be lucky to get $xxx that are asking $xx,xxx when there is no way they are gonna get that price. Someone had given them an appraisal that was very unreasonable and they took it that their domain was worth that much.

•••
The: the best appraisal is the sale price to an end-user

Is something that sounds awesome to say. But not very helpful in practice. Like being the guy that says "You should have shut the barn door" after the horse got out.

A domainer needs to come up with their own number before the sale. And unless the domain was sold to a true enduser and then dropped etc, there no enduser sale history(the vast majority of cases).

Some people ask for help in the appraisal section because they need help coming up with a number or want to see their number confirmed.

•••
•••
The: the best appraisal is the sale price to an end-user

Is something that sounds awesome to say. But not very helpful in practice. Like being the guy that says "You should have shut the barn door" after the horse got out.

A domainer needs to come up with their own number before the sale. And unless the domain was sold to a true enduser and then dropped etc, there no enduser sale history(the vast majority of cases).

Some people ask for help in the appraisal section because they need help coming up with a number or want to see their number confirmed.

It is only the domain owner's decision if he wishes to take into consideration a 5-figure appraisal by a new member over the 3-figure appraisal by someone with more experience. Anyhow, the appraisal is only to confirm or infirm your original thoughts about the domain so it is very subjective by all means.

But there is no better appraisal than the sale price (EDIT: to end-user), period.

Your ending and my beginning are pretty much the same.

No real reason to continue this argument, I might have added more in the first place just to avoid all of this but it's not really a bad thing for the other members.

It would be awesome to have a clear way to valuate a domain, more like in real estate. We don't, everything is subjective. Similar end-user sales have always been a point of reference in appraising a domain name especially if they are not EMD.

•••
You don't need to explain anything further, just stop biting your thumb.

I'm not, and I apologize if you think I am.
I just think the whole "appraisal is the sale price" is meaningless and thrown around a lot.
I guess it's the domaining Godwin's Law - basically, a semi-humorous attempt to put an exclamation point on what is a futile thread.

But apologies none the less. Didn't intend it to be personal at all.

•••
@defaultuser Thanks, we just need to keep this constructive, I apologize too.

Last edited:
•••
In my opinion if only VIPs are allowed to appraise then this service would be equivalent to paid appraisal and it should be charged and that is what private appraisal forum is for.
Also even if newbies are appraising you should give more weightage to the appraisal by experienced members this way you will not get frustrated due to the garbage appraisals.
Last but not the least, Namepros is a great domaining community and many newbies learn here so I don't think it should be restricted to VIPs because newbies make mistakes but following the same post(via email for every new reply) they also learn what experienced members are telling about the same domain. This way eventually they learn and grow and that's what a good community is all about.
Hope you will look into these aspects as well.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back