IT.COM

question I received a complaint about Pantera.Capital.pro at a time when my Capital.pro domain is parked on Sedo.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Friends, I need your help. I have received a letter from my registrar Encirca.com about a 3rd level domain Pantera.Capital.Pro and I have nothing to do with it, as my Capital.pro domain
is parked on Sedo.com with these servers: NS2.SEDOPARKING.COM NS1.SEDOPARKING.COM
here's the letter:
"
Hi,

Please do the needful to remove the page.

Thanks,
Grace
Encirca"

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: 11/25/2021, 9:23:41 PM

Dear Registrar,

We are contacting you on behalf of Pantera Capital. We manage Pantera Capital's Internet monitoring function and brand identity issues on the Internet. Recently, Pantera Capital became aware that a website that lists you as the sponsoring registrar is using Pantera Capital’s intellectual property in the domain name without consent.

URL: http://pantera.capital.pro/ (please do not click on it as it is a spam site)

It is not Pantera Capital's policy to promote third party relationships or accept unsolicited promotion or allow any third party to use their Trademarks without proper internal review and formal acceptance. In our experience as well as historical evidence, such typosquatted domain names can be used for malicious purposes against Pantera Capital. As there is no apparent purpose that exists for the registration of the domain name, we would like to ensure that it will not be used fraudulently.

We request that a β€œclientHold” be placed on the above domain name or draw this issue to the attention of the appropriate persons to accomplish this task, in a timely manner.

Should you have any questions feel free to contact us at the information provided below.

Sincerely,

S.R
PhishLabs Mitigation Center
O: +1. 202.386.6001
[email protected]

Phishlabs by Helpsystems | Digital Risk Protection through curated threat intelligence and complete mitigation. "

Please advise what to do, because if I remove it from the Sedo parking, will that solve the problem with Pantera.Capital.pro, to which I have no idea where it came from?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would take this up with your registrar. If you are the owner of Capital.Pro, what is the registrar doing selling 3rd level domains Pantera.Capital.Pro without your permission. I think that they would not be doing that. And the whole thing looks like some kind of spam email coming from [email protected]

•••
I would take this up with your registrar. If you are the owner of Capital.Pro, what is the registrar doing selling 3rd level domains Pantera.Capital.Pro without your permission. I think that they would not be doing that. And the whole thing looks like some kind of spam email coming from [email protected]
Thanks, Stub. Yes, I own Capital.pro and that's exactly the thought I had, that it's some kind of spam, but unfortunately Pantera.capital.pro does exist, it redirects to some sites, while my Capital.pro is on Sedo.com servers. I wonder where the 3rd level domain came from, from Sedo or Encirca. At the same time Encirca requires me to remove a "page" that I have nothing to do with and have no idea where it came from...and don't know how to remove...and if I remove from sedo parkinkg Capital.pro, will that solve the problem with Pantera.Capital.pro?

•••
You can put any keyword in front of your domain as subdomain and it redirects to a spam site. You can try it yourself.
keyword.yourdomain.com
microsoft . c a p i t a l . p r o
facebook . c a p i t a l . p r o

Remove your domain from Sedo Parking right away and point it to a sales page until you figure out how they landed on that subdomain. This could be their tactic to take the domain away from you for free.

Also this has nothing to do with your Registrar. It's Sedo's parking that is doing this.

Last edited:
•••
Yes ,

silentg

you are righ!! Very interesting.... just checked pantera.capital.pro and as i understand after my post on Namepros, that site is gone...and now points to Sedo...it looks like it was done by someone from Sedo.com

•••
So are you happy now, or still have questions? As silentg said in his first post. You could just make a subdomain pantera.capital.pro. That would trump any other links there maybe out there.

After reading your first message again. You should reply to you registrar that you don't have any subdomains in you account for capital.pro by giving them a picture of the subdomains under capital.pro domain.

•••
I removed Capital.pro from sedo parking nameservers and pantera.capital.pro gone....
which means that someone from Sedo.com has initiated this whole campaign to take the domain away from me.
I know that Sedo.com has a presence here. I would like to hear your(Sedo.com) explanation and are you going to conduct an internal investigation as to how this could have happened?

•••
Thank you very much

silentg and​

stub for support and advice!​

pantera.capital.pro now shows https://brandpa.com/names/pantera.capital.pro where it says that: " This domain name either does not exist, was sold, or has been removed."
as I changed Sedo servers to Brandpa servers and then I changed Brandpa servers to other servers as well.

•••
A registrar can prevent nameservers (of a domain registered there) from being working (or managed). They may have their own legitimate excuse, and they don't have to prove anything (except maybe in court), even if there is no complaint, in my experience (then maybe you can move the domain elsewhere, but,..).

They shouldn't be able to take the domain via udrp.
But they can do something else. I would remove such famous-trademark subdomains..
If this was always acceptable then spammers could easily take advantage of this situation,
because ordinary people may not able able to distinguish second and 3rd leven domains.

If this is only about pantera, maybe you can defend yourself, but similar problems may pop up in the future. If you want to critisize a company you can use folders or other text in urls instead of subdomains to minimize confusion.

So, I suspect, if there is no crime, then in the worst case scenario, you will keep the domain, but won't be able to use/manage it. But this might also be the best case scenario.

Last edited:
•••
It's just third-level wildcarding. These kinds of complaints are fairly common.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back