Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys
I have joined the auction for the domain name SportsEquipment.com
My highest bid was $7,100 and the domain sold for $12,000
Do you think it's worth it?
Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think its worth the 12k as SportsEquipment market is huge, many fitness orientated people moving into the more healthy lifestyle sector, estibot value was $86000 which will get readjusted I am sure ,with the right enduser this domain will do well , IMO :xf.smile:

Monthly Searches: 14,762 Exact Match
Cost Per Click: $1.36 USD
Ad Competition: medium

Last edited:
•••
Well, you already lost the auction :) Just chill out and look for smth else... That domain sure is worth more than 12k, and I think every chain selling equipment would pay way more to own it.

•••
Those would involve some nice key words too.

•••
Although I'm not a particular fan of businesses built on key words. Google, Apple, Exxon are rather obvious examples. It's like trying to buy a street called "Sports Equipment" because that's where people would expect you to be instead of building a great sports equipment store called "Bob's" and have others seek you out. Key word domains are great for small businesses though.

•••
Although I'm not a particular fan of businesses built on key words. Google, Apple, Exxon are rather obvious examples. It's like trying to buy a street called "Sports Equipment" because that's where people would expect you to be instead of building a great sports equipment store called "Bob's" and have others seek you out. Key word domains are great for small businesses though.
It's a common marketing choice, and a lot of big companies use such domains for TV and billboard ads :) One example, Fahrrad.de, sold a couple o years ago for 11k Euro, now it's used for a TV ad in Germany.

•••
Like Ted said, for a seller of sports equipment one visitor(sale) would pretty much pay for the domain with a lifetime of free business after that
Joe T

•••
This most probably is just the reseller market,
But to the right enduser it's atleast a low six figure domain.

Millions are spent on advertising, that too just for a few minutes on high end tv commercials. Domains may last for the next 10 years but for now people follow and know the .com.
From my knowledge and research (Which there is barely any source to back it up). The right domain for now can get you a much better return in the long term than spending a million or 2 on advertising for a 1 minute spot.

•••
Actually i might take a few words back, the right domain + the advertising go hand in hand.

•••
Thanks.

At $7k I think you were right to stop. This could be a $15k-$25k sale but at $14k it sucks most of the profit up.

You nailed it 100%!

There are lots of dreamers in here. This is not a 6-figure domain GTFO to anyone who thinks it is. :xf.rolleyes:

I think this is 12k wasted on something that was not renewed for a good reason. After all of this time no billion dollar sports equipment company owns it... HUGE red flag.

Have you ever tried to sell a keyword with low monthly searches to a massive chain?

Most large companies won't give a flying crap about that domain, because they already have their brand name.

Those that could benefit from owning that domain won't understand how it will help them, no matter how much you explain it, or they can't afford an inflated domain investor price.

There are a few ways you could sell this domain for a profit, but after reading some of the advice from this thread, it's likely the owner won't know how to approach a corporate entity and sell it properly.

Last edited:
•••
This most probably is just the reseller market,
But to the right enduser it's atleast a low six figure domain.

Millions are spent on advertising, that too just for a few minutes on high end tv commercials. Domains may last for the next 10 years but for now people follow and know the .com.
From my knowledge and research (Which there is barely any source to back it up). The right domain for now can get you a much better return in the long term than spending a million or 2 on advertising for a 1 minute spot.

Yea, agree 100 percent, but too bad 80 percent(my guess) of endusers aren't aware of this
Joe T

•••
At $7k I think you were right to stop. This could be a $15k-$25k sale but at $14k it sucks most of the profit up.

You nailed it 100%!

There are lots of dreamers in here. This is not a 6-figure domain GTFO to anyone who thinks it is. :xf.rolleyes:

I think this is 12k wasted on something that was not renewed for a good reason. After all of this time no billion dollar sports equipment company owns it... HUGE red flag.

Have you ever tried to sell a keyword with low monthly searches to a massive chain?

Most large companies won't give a flying crap about that domain, because they already have their brand name.

Those that could benefit from owning that domain won't understand how it will help them, no matter how much you explain it, or they can't afford an inflated domain investor price.

There are a few ways you could sell this domain for a profit, but after reading some of the advice from this thread, it's likely the owner won't know how to approach a corporate entity and sell it properly.

After rethinking properly and reading your post, i got to agree with you.
Will take my words back. (About it being a six figure domain)

Last edited:
•••
Hello guys
Thanks.
If it is an end-user who bought it, yes.

•••

You nailed it 100%!

After reading through some early responses I thought i'm going to go out and state i'm by myself thinking this isn't anything like as good a domain as others are suggesting. Seeing your post saves me the time and effort, completely agree with everything you've said. OP should be pleased he saved his money.

•••
After reading through some early responses I thought i'm going to go out and state i'm by myself thinking this isn't anything like as good a domain as others are suggesting. Seeing your post saves me the time and effort, completely agree with everything you've said. OP should be pleased he saved his money.

Imo,
He didn't save his money, he would get the money back in the resellers market.
Got to look at the big picture. Why would anyone want to name their brand Sportsequipment.com, if they are trying to go big.

Domaining is much more than these so called Estibot values and search results, it's about thinking from an end users perspective. If i were a company selling sports equipments and had huge investment capital in my hands, i would rather have a brandable, some exact matches are great if they are a brandable + an exact match domain. But in this case the domain won't go a long way.

•••
Hello guys
Thanks.

My max would have been 15k for it and I would have listed it at 45k.

Too bad I did not see it, I would have bid more. Given the size of the market it is almost a guaranteed resale.

•••
Threads Like this are very informative as it really brings out diversity and how we all see domains in our own unique way ,it also can help us when we sometimes do not look at things from maybe another view and correct our own misgivings

I seen this domain very differently from being used as a brand or brandable ,I did not look at the branding of "Sports Equipment" ,I felt any brand can use this domain ,upcoming new brand or Retailers even existing ones ,
I did a search on Google for "sports equipment" a few adds with sports equipment as keyword was seen 1 example below.
VTvH0k8.png

I just felt that any brand can work here because you could either add the brand name as a subdomain example nike.SportsEquipment.com or just use sportsequipment.com and when they on the page branding and logo can be NikeSportsEquipment or even WalmartSportsEquipment just the way I saw it not saying its a correct way or incorrect just maybe different ,if companies are paying $XXXX+- on Adwords for that specific keyword,I would be hopeful having a domain like sportsequipment.com would be an added benefit for that specific niche and branding by the subdomain was an option available to many endusers in the industry .

Last edited:
•••
I have a question for parking experts : Will this domain get type-in traffic ?

Monthly searches are 110,000 @ $1,5 CPC

•••
I have a question for parking experts : Will this domain get type-in traffic ?

Monthly searches are 110,000 @ $1,5 CPC

Here are more accurate numbers. What are you using for monthly search and CPC quote? ExpiredDomains had a monthly search of 24k - 27k (cant remember).

2y8Ge6H.jpg

Last edited:
•••
•••
The domain had a $7,350 BIN at Afternic, $5000 below what it sold for in a domainer auction. DomainTools still shows the Afternic list price:
Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 12.55.51 PM.png

•••
Hello guys
Thanks.

I was watching that auction, great name imo.
Think of it this way, you now have 7100 to spend on other domains!

•••
I think this is 12k wasted on something that was not renewed for a good reason.
I'm not able to think of a single good reason for why this was not renewed. Deciding to not spend a mere $9 on renewing a nice domain that fetched $12K in a reseller auction, and could fetch more to the right end user, seems like a terrible decision to me.

•••
there are usually other circumstances why a name with value is not renewed.

•••
ah, the domain name business!

SportsEquipment.com is a very good name that if held by the well-heeled elite of the business, $12K would be the opening offer with a reserve of $35000, at least. I think $12K for SportsEquipment.com is a bargain, IMHO.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back