NameSilo

opinion I have passed $700 offer for hand reg domain, did I make a mistake?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys.
After 6 days of reg. a domain name, I have received an offer for $700, but I have passed it.
Did I make a mistake?
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you guys for all posts.
My counter offer was depend on sales history for some similar domains:
turkey-evisa.com Sold for $1,230
BuyInTurke.com Sold for $1,050
InvestInTurkey.com Sold for $3,150
TravelToTurkey.com Sold for $8,000
TurkeyTravelGuide.com Sold for $4,100
TurkeyBalloon.com Sold for $2,500
iPhoneTurkey.biz Sold for $3,500
TurkeyTourPackages.com Sold for $3,100
CarHireTurkey.com Sold for $2,000
BookTurkey.com Sold for $4,500
StudyInTurkey.com Sold for $3,000
TurkeyDirect.com Sold for $2,700
JustTurkey.com Sold for $11,500

•••

Well, in my opinion, you shouldn't compare your domain with those, as you say "similar domains", because they are not similar. Just because all domains contain "Turkey" doesn't mean that they all are similar to yours. Let's be honest, all domains you show here are EMDs, that represent one product (eVisa, Travel Guide, Baloon) or service (Invest in..., Car Hire, Study, Tour Packages), or Brandables (TurkeyDirect and JustTurkey) for travel agencies. And each one is intended to be used by one end-user to offer a product or service.

Now, let's see what your domain says, "Turkey Companies". It's generic, has no marketing value, and can't be used to sell a product or service. Yes, it's cool, it could be used to create a directory, but how to earn money from it? There are hundreds of online directories, and Google is the biggest one. You don't need a site that has all Turkey companies. The best usage I find is to offer some info about how to establish a company in Turkey, some consulting... And that's all... However, the profit is minimum here for an end-user.

Just my opinion, you should have taken that offer...

•••
Hellooooo, turkeycompanies.net should find themselves lucky to get the .com at such a reasonable price. They'd be idiots to say no.
Good luck:)

•••
The domain is:
TurkeyCompanies.com

No you made the right decision not to sell its worth much much more especially this time of year - sit on that domain for a few years the right buyer will pay big bucks for it and its a .com - the best

•••

Yours is worth more than those

patience and time are the best investment tools

you don't start earning money until you start saying no because no that's not enough attracts higher counter offers that you would not get if you say yes to first offer straight away

•••
I would've sold it. That name could take 10 years to sell or may never sell, while $700 could've been re-invested into acquiring better names for your portfolio.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
I have a feeling the buyer thought the name contained the keyword "Turnkey" and not "Turkey".

•••
I have a feeling the buyer thought the name contained the keyword "Turnkey" and not "Turkey".
I don't think that, because he is from Turkey.
Thanks

•••
I would have taken it....and invest in other domains or for my renewals..
Best of Luck

Last edited:
•••
Worth more that the comps?? Serious?

I agree with earlier sentiment. Generic [location]companies.com domains have very little end user appeal.

•••
Domain turkeycompanies.tr is available

•••

the problem with looking at past sales is.....

you don't know how long the owners of those domains, held them, before they were sold

so you're comparing "a known with an unknown", and assuming your name has equitable value without considering that variable.

research ain't research, when you leave data on the table

imo...

•••
the problem with looking at past sales is.....

you don't know how long the owners of those domains, held them, before they were sold

so you're comparing "a known with an unknown", and assuming your name has equitable value without considering that variable.

research ain't research, when you leave data on the table

imo...
I think one of the important factors when you purchase or sell a domain name, is looking at the past sales, I have many success sales in the past depended on that factor.
- When you purchase a domain name, you will check the sales history for similar domain so you can evaluate it.
- Also when you sell a domain name, you will post to the potential buyers some of sales prices for similar domain too.
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Domain name portfolios are like stocks and shares portfolios in as much as a large proportion of domains purchased will never sell some will return a profit some will return a very good profit and a few will return brewsters millions style profit over time but ss long as the portfolio self funds itself eventually and return a profit after costs etc - happy days

•••
I think one of the important factors when you purchase or sell a domain name, is looking at the past sales, I have many success sales in the past depended on that factor.
- When you purchase a domain name, you will check the sales history for similar domain so you can evaluate it.
- Also when you sell a domain name, you will post to the potential buyers some of sales prices for similar domain too.
Thanks

you may take such steps as a procedure... but i don't do any of those things, prior to or at the point of.

we're not trying to fit within the envelope.

imo....

•••
don't take less than a 1000 you got it, its worth it, wait. :)

•••
Started off thinking OP was foolish not to sell....but.. At the end of this thread I think this name could sell for few times of this initial offer.but we also shouldn't leave free money on The table. Name could easily be used for a Turkey companies directory...Turkey is sizeable economy. But man....if OP doesn't take this money , he better sell a lot better than this in next 2-4 years or its a full bust and lost opportunitg

•••
In our permanent developing economy and society, $1500 in 4 years could value less that $700 today, especially thinking about the lost investment opportunities... I've seen $XX,XXX sales after years of waiting, but to wait 4-5 years for a 2 times bigger offer? I think it's too funny...

•••
Just curious. When was the last time anyone in this thread used a directory website [country]companies.com?

•••
Just curious. When was the last time anyone in this thread used a directory website [country]companies.com?
Thank you for post
If you check namebio, there is a lot of domains ending with company & companies recently sold.

•••
Are you in the name holding or name selling business?

•••
Thank you for post
If you check namebio, there is a lot of domains ending with company & companies recently sold.

This is all I could find in namebio for [location]companies. Maybe I missed one or two, but nothing substantial. Company is different as one company in the area might choose to use it; though an awfully generic address.

ukcompanies.co.uk 3,432 USD 2012-07-25 Sedo
seychellescompanies.com 2,155 USD 2010-10-27 Afternic
eurocompanies.com 1,288 USD 2012-11-04 Afternic

•••
Is it worth holding a domain two years hoping for $300 more?

•••
•••
Be careful, because sometimes I receive offers like this but almost of them are scams (99,9999%)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back