Domain Empire

opinion I have passed $700 offer for hand reg domain, did I make a mistake?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys.
After 6 days of reg. a domain name, I have received an offer for $700, but I have passed it.
Did I make a mistake?
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would have taken it and run

•••
Not enough info to say, but probably. Good Luck

•••
At first glance I saw Turnkey Companies. That makes a lot more sense than Turkey Companies. O_o

Perhaps that's what they too thought they were looking at initially. If that's the case, I doubt they would have actually completed a deal anyways without noticing, if that's any comfort.

Either way, good luck!

Hopefully you've got a flock of turkey companies working to claw together the $1900 right now.

•••
Mistake #4 In love with the name and be greedy.

Take the money - run fast and don't look back.

•••
Send multiple emails immediately and say you made a terrible mistake....

Offer it back at $699 and pay the fees.

That was a needle in the haystack sale.

Kevin

•••
What can you do with this name ? A directory of companies in Turkey ? I don't see a lot of possible uses/buyers. If the offer is legit, I think you should take the money.

•••
Thank you guys for all posts.
My counter offer was depend on sales history for some similar domains:
turkey-evisa.com Sold for $1,230
BuyInTurke.com Sold for $1,050
InvestInTurkey.com Sold for $3,150
InvestInTurkey.com Sold for $3,150
TravelToTurkey.com Sold for $8,000
TurkeyTravelGuide.com Sold for $4,100
TurkeyBalloon.com Sold for $2,500
iPhoneTurkey.biz Sold for $3,500
TurkeyTourPackages.com Sold for $3,100
CarHireTurkey.com Sold for $2,000
BookTurkey.com Sold for $4,500
StudyInTurkey.com Sold for $3,000
TurkeyDirect.com Sold for $2,700
JustTurkey.com Sold for $11,500

Well, in my opinion, you shouldn't compare your domain with those, as you say "similar domains", because they are not similar. Just because all domains contain "Turkey" doesn't mean that they all are similar to yours. Let's be honest, all domains you show here are EMDs, that represent one product (eVisa, Travel Guide, Baloon) or service (Invest in..., Car Hire, Study, Tour Packages), or Brandables (TurkeyDirect and JustTurkey) for travel agencies. And each one is intended to be used by one end-user to offer a product or service.

Now, let's see what your domain says, "Turkey Companies". It's generic, has no marketing value, and can't be used to sell a product or service. Yes, it's cool, it could be used to create a directory, but how to earn money from it? There are hundreds of online directories, and Google is the biggest one. You don't need a site that has all Turkey companies. The best usage I find is to offer some info about how to establish a company in Turkey, some consulting... And that's all... However, the profit is minimum here for an end-user.

Just my opinion, you should have taken that offer...

•••
Hopefully you've got a flock of turkey companies working to claw together the $1900 right now.
I hope you realise it is the country Turkey..right? :roll::rolleyes: ;)Anyway, pretty solid name. I would have just taken it.

•••
•••
Sounds like they moved on to a different domain, and yours probably just isn't useful to them anymore, regardless of the cost.

But, if one Turkish buyer was interested, you may well see another.

Last edited:
•••
I would've sold it. That name could take 10 years to sell or may never sell, while $700 could've been re-invested into acquiring better names for your portfolio.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
I would have taken it....and invest in other domains or for my renewals..
Best of Luck

Last edited:
•••
Thank you guys for all posts.
My counter offer was depend on sales history for some similar domains:

the problem with looking at past sales is.....

you don't know how long the owners of those domains, held them, before they were sold

so you're comparing "a known with an unknown", and assuming your name has equitable value without considering that variable.

research ain't research, when you leave data on the table

imo...

•••
That is because most of my success sales was by receiving attractive offers here some of Them:
Tosave.com $2,400 sold
Booking.mobi $15,000 sold
Buyahome.org $1,850 sold
And many many domains below 1k
I have just asked one question, did I make a mistake by refusing offer for $700 for a hand regg. Domain.

I think the point you are missing is it is not 2007 anymore or even 2011/12. We are in 2016 when new gtld's are coming out by the day and do impact average .com domain sales and prices. The odds on you countering big for these type of names and getting them are far more unlikely than these sort of sales years ago. Even last year I was getting more big sales than I have from end users in 2016. And this is coming from one of the most pro .com domainers you will ever meet.

I am getting offers and inquiries regularly on my .coms and time and again the comfort level for end users is $100-550. Anything over this is a hard sell and risky (supply is too great now) and indeed buyers can go and in many cases have gone and just got another cheap alternative. Yes some names/buyers will pay 4/5 figures but % wise they are low, very low.

Really premium .coms are a different matter and I would say can definitely achieve great prices today but generally speaking even good names are tough to sell today for what you are looking for. To top that off you are talking about a hand reg not even a domain you spent $3-400 on and looking to just double your money.

You made a mistake based on where today's market is and where we are heading IMO even if you say you end up selling this domain some time for more I don't change my view. However, if you're happy with your decision power to you!

Last edited:
•••
What can you do with this name ? A directory of companies in Turkey ? I don't see a lot of possible uses/buyers. If the offer is legit, I think you should take the money.
I am not looking do develop it, just to resell it.
By the way, the potential buyer was from Turkey.
Thanks.

•••
Hellooooo, turkeycompanies.net should find themselves lucky to get the .com at such a reasonable price. They'd be idiots to say no.
Good luck:)

•••
I have a feeling the buyer thought the name contained the keyword "Turnkey" and not "Turkey".

•••
I have a feeling the buyer thought the name contained the keyword "Turnkey" and not "Turkey".
I don't think that, because he is from Turkey.
Thanks

•••
Domain name portfolios are like stocks and shares portfolios in as much as a large proportion of domains purchased will never sell some will return a profit some will return a very good profit and a few will return brewsters millions style profit over time but ss long as the portfolio self funds itself eventually and return a profit after costs etc - happy days

•••
Started off thinking OP was foolish not to sell....but.. At the end of this thread I think this name could sell for few times of this initial offer.but we also shouldn't leave free money on The table. Name could easily be used for a Turkey companies directory...Turkey is sizeable economy. But man....if OP doesn't take this money , he better sell a lot better than this in next 2-4 years or its a full bust and lost opportunitg

•••
Thank you for post
If you check namebio, there is a lot of domains ending with company & companies recently sold.

This is all I could find in namebio for [location]companies. Maybe I missed one or two, but nothing substantial. Company is different as one company in the area might choose to use it; though an awfully generic address.

ukcompanies.co.uk 3,432 USD 2012-07-25 Sedo
seychellescompanies.com 2,155 USD 2010-10-27 Afternic
eurocompanies.com 1,288 USD 2012-11-04 Afternic

•••
•••
I can remember when I started this treasure chase and I thought I knew it all, 1997 wow time flies....

Asking for an opinion after you turn down the offer sounds like the real mistake. You said, YOU "have many success sales in the past for high amount" then you should have been able to make the correct call on this with no help.

The lucky never realizes they are lucky until it's too late. People are never happy with what they have, they always want more. Greed won`t make you it will break you......the Rabbi

•••
How you feel about it, do you think you made a mistake? if you get an inquiry after 6 days, its a good sign, means name has some potential, interest, it could be you first but not last inquiry, it could be you first and last one, right, but that is a risk we all take. I wouldn't reply with a price, only reject an offer and wait, time will tells if you made a mistake, imo. anyway good luck

•••
ok, saw your new post after i replied. Id consider that pretty limited. The offer was probable a good one. I would re-engage them. That said, you hand reged it. Do you know of markets for this?

The good news is if they offered 700 as an initial offer you can probably get more. Suggest that after reflection you have decided that you will sell for an even $1000 (or whatever you feel is right for you) for a quick deal.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back