Dynadot

discuss I have lost interest in domaining. What about you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Reallybigidea.com

THIS DOMAIN SOLD. Username is not valid.Top Member
Impact
Hi,

I am not feeling ok without sales, my average sales in April total around mid xxx, meantime I spent much more on domain registrations because the domain addiction.

Currently listed around 100 dotcoms with bin $10 but they are are not selling.. . Is it only for me or not?

Please respond only real domainers with portfolios, do not respond affiliated registrar users and marketplace promoters (i do not belive in your reported cctld, new gtld sales for $xx,xxx...). I know what is marketing and understand your sales tactics.

#domainaddiction #domainbusiness

#domaininvesting is not really #investing because you can't liquidate your domains for reg-fee.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'll always be interested in domaining - I'm a logophile at heart :)

As the funny money fiat currencies crash - best to be holding some ultra premium .coms than some of the imaginary numbers called dollars that get printed ad infinitum IMHO

Last edited:
•••
My friend, I suffer from the same thing right now. I have about 260 domains that I registered in about 2 or 3 months.
But I am determined to make this work a primary source of income for me.
Since joining this forum, I have reduced my purchases and started to learn more, although I have not improved yet, but I feel that I am on the right path now.
I wish you good luck and everyone who reads my response

•••
This thread have a large number of sensible and clearly expressed comments. One of the best threads on NamePros.

I won't repeat (too much :xf.wink:) what others have said, but would add the following.
  • There is nothing wrong with taking a break. In many circumstances, it is the right thing to do. Why not take a break from acquisitions, make sure that your names are listed effectively and priced, and just not think about domaining for awhile. For a few reasons I have taken short breaks, and it is almost always good.
  • When your break is over, consider if you want to do domaining or not. Only stay in if you are passionate for it. It is hard and slow work, and not worth it if you are not enthusiastic anymore.
  • Make sure you are realistic in your expectations. I see that you are selling at wholesale prices, but if retail you would expect one sale for every 100 names you hold per year. A few months is not enough to decide.
  • Wholesale sales is not a bad way to start. I would set a limit though, no new acquisitions until I sell some amount, then when you do carefully invest that and so forth.
  • I quickly looked through your list. While a few seem reasonable, it seems to me that there are way too many that are things like spelled wrong terms. Occasionally these are brandable, but really need a strong single 'change' in the word and in a term that evokes generally positive meaning in a sector where it is likely there is induced demand.
  • I personally would try to isolate your best 5 names, and concentrate only on those, trying to list some for retail prices. Be realistic it probably won't happen overnight.
  • Read and without buying consider good names, keep watching sales, look at what brandable marketplaces accept, etc.
  • Best wishes whatever you decide.
Bob

•••
I always try and emphasize that the domain industry has many streams of revenue .. most have to find which niche or niches within the industry they are able to have success in .. if you have lost interest ... you either need to stop for now and resume domaining at a later time ... or walk away and be done with domaining .... in my opinion.

•••
You have a domain on your list that I’m interested in. I’ll DM you.

•••
A couple of your domains are ok. The rest I am not too sure about. Given that you have put in a lot of effort to get this far why not just get rid of most of your domains and concentrate on quality.....maybe do some research and educate yourself more. Even the high quality domains take a while to sell, domaining is a slow business I am afraid and with bad domains you don't have much of chance. Have a 5 year or 10 year plan and don't rush to buy or register moving forward.

•••
I think you should slow down. You have some decent names. I looked at your page and I sense desperation in your pricing.

I'm sending you a pm. I want to buy one of your domains right now. :)

•••
I also have to say that "never give up" is often the worst advice IMO.

Sometimes something just isn't working. There is no shame in giving up and coming up with the better plan.

Everyone is not going to succeed at everything. Failure is part of life and the ability to learn and move past it is a good trait to have.

Brad
I had a good think on this last night......

The painful truth is some people take failure personally, can't come up with new plans or ideas, fail to learn from their mistakes and can't see they are in a vicious circle - it can be hard to objectively look at yourself and your circumstances

Even if you do there is no bloody guarantee you will succeed......but if you don't give up, are willing to learn, don't let failure weigh you down then you have a chance and that's all you can ask for as some people don't even get that......then it's down to the induvial to grasp those opportunities

Never giving up is a positive trait but it needs to be combined with others when trying to achieve your goals

•••
To me it's very telling when someone 'loses interest' in something when barely even started, barely even scratched the surface to this wonderful industry we call domain investing.

Easy come, easy go. We see it time and time again, are you going to be one of those? While I'm not going to tell you what your interests should be or why you should be doing something.. that's been laid out like a red carpet for you here; I will say this:

Don't be fooled by the ease of gear-switching in that device you hold now in your hand. Develop some tenacity and grit and stick with it. Tenacity means seeing something through to the end, even if the results aren't what you were expecting.

Expect that you're going to stumble and fall along the way. Pick up, brush off, be humble and re-energize.

Know that the simple act of owning domains does not equate liquidation.

•••
i have too much time invested into this one day this will be my only source of income everyday i learn something new .
you really should wait a while right now the market is somewhat dead even on namepros LLLL.com auctions are taking hours to get few bids that should give you an idea

•••
2 questions to ask yourself before registering / acquiring domains: Does this domain have a purpose for > audience, consumers ... and can I really afford it to refuse to sell?

Regards

•••
I'm also without sales in April...
Were only 2 US inquiries (NYC and California, mid $xxx budget each) and that's all.

•••
90%+ drop it within 1 or 2 years.
And only very minority becomes a PRO.

•••
I am getting paid now for work I did years ago.

I think the current get rich quick mindset and social media has kind of created a toxic mix when it comes to expectations.

The average person, works an average job, for decades and never gets rich. Money is not normally that easy.

You have to be extremely fortunate and/or take extreme risk to get rich quick. Otherwise it takes a grind.

Brad

Each sentence here is gold. Hear, hear.

Well said, Brad. If only everyone else would see it.

•••
Who said that domaining is easy?

•••
I tried to sell it for mid-high $xxx. Lowered prices because I need urgently cash and was surprised that it's not selling for reg-fee. That's why I was panicked.

When you price good domains extremely low for end-users, they might think the domain does not have a lot of value. It's psychology. You have to find the perfect price that's not too low, and not too high, but somewhere in between. I also think you have to decide whether you want to sell mostly to end-users or mostly to fellow domainers on namePros.

•••
Please tell me whould u paid for urStore.com $40k or grab urBuys.com for reg-fee? Does seller name matter? Mike with powerful domainmarket.com brand name vs unknown domainer on blogspot platform with ReallyBigIdea.com brand name?

urStore.com vs urBuys.com

urBuys.com - crap or not? to renew or to drop? If its crap does it mean that urStore.com crap as well or it is a valuable name?

Thank you
Irrespective of how much urstore sold for, I am not a fan of the name. I feel the proper spelling is the way to go.

Having said that, urstore is definitely better than urbuys

•••
That is the problem I have no wife neither gf :(
Get one. They are on sale at several registrars at $7.95 each for life. You don’t need to renew and they don’t accept return.

•••
Some domains like as ApartForSale.com has no aftermarket value but this name brings me around 40k visitors for the last 5-6 months

If a domain name is attracting 40k visitors in 6 months it has a value. You need money which makes you impatient. I'd suggest apartforsale.com is being seen as "apartment for sale" which is a good domain for a huge market in many countries. You have two options with this domain: develop it and attract adverts from those estate agents (realtors), for which you could charge a fee and get a regular income, or be patient, make a nice landing page for it on Sedo, Afternic, Epik, DAN or any of the many others, and await a buyer. Be patient. It may take a very long time. But getting a good price later is a lot better than losing a good domain for ten bucks now.

@Bob Hawkes has offered superb advice up to his usual standard. I'd alter one part only of what he has said, and that only because of your circumstances:

Don't take a break, get a job. If you need money so badly as you said in an earlier post domaining is not reliable for you as a source of income. You should only risk what you can afford to lose. That is the same for all so-called "investments". In truth they are really speculations and no return at all is guaranteed. Ever.

That does not mean you need to stop domaining. By all means take a break from it for a while. Then reconsider. Whether you then choose to continue or to break away altogether has nothing to do with courage, stamina or any other such nonsense. It is a matter for personality (what is right for you) and, we all have to face the fact, financial circumstance. Take the course that is right for you. Ignore the opinions of ignoramuses on chatter boards including this one.

Many people trade all kinds of financial instruments, including domain names, on a part time (side-hustle) basis. That will give you the chance (and the time) to sell those of your domains of any worth, follow a number of the domaining newsletters to learn more, engage in discussions on this board and elsewhere, and slowly, slowly, accumulate any income from the domains you already have without spending it, then only buy new domains when you have learnt what a good domain looks like from that money. Don't go risking earnings from your new employment which you need to live on.

One idea which may help you is to have a "dummy account", by which I mean a pretend domaining account on your own computer or on paper. Without spending any money, you set up a recording system on paper, on a spreadsheet or on a database. Follow the various methods of buying domains so you select a name, for instance one which will drop within the next few days, record how much it goes for in the drop auction. Do that with lots of different names to get a very good idea of what a good, profitable name will cost you. If possible, track its life all the way to when it is resold. Record how much it was sold for, how much profit was made, where it was bought and sold, and so forth.

Good hunting. And thanks, @Bob Hawkes, for a great post.

•••
I'm not so sure I'm a "real domainer":xf.rolleyes: However I've been doing domains my way for the last three years, and it's been more fun than anything I've ever done professionally. I only say "professionally" because I've started, operated and named more than a dozen businesses since 1970. The one thing I can share, if you've lost your fervor than you should look elsewhere.

As an example of the kind of fun I'm talking about, yesterday after seeing Medina Spirit win the Kentucky Derby i registered the domain MedinaSpirit.online because 1. it was available and 2. it was just a buck.
As intellectual property I consider it a piece of art regardless whether I sell it or not.

I've probably registered a few hundred domains like this the last few years, and I just registered CatchandRelease.online because 1. it was available and 2. it was just a buck. The term "Catch and Release" is a term sport fishermen use when they catch a fish, any fish, whether it's a Big Marlin or a 1lb Catfish.

My attitude is more that of a hobbyist, but this is the first hobby I've had that actually pays:xf.smile:

Anyway....good luck to you(y)

We keep only hearing from you always that I REGISTERED and I JUST REGISTERED ..Thats it !!
Please .. Please ..We want to hear the phrase I SOLD and I JUST SOLD ..( Thats the most important ) !!

Last edited:
•••
Design is not critical.
Even Bodis is enough if domain is good.

•••
Lots of wise words and advices. I learned something new. Thx NPs

•••
By the way, I noticed your 100% positive trade history...

1 month 6
6 months 22
1 year 22
2 years 22
Total 22

If you sold 22 domains in the last 6 months, that's not bad at all.

•••
before the reg or catch I make a deep research: similar domain sales on Namebio GoValue, how many taken in other gtlds, how many potential end users, CPC monthly searches...Sometimes I grab the name because it's really cool and such names are sells better..

I think this is exactly where most people go wrong. Probably because it is advice repeated again and again here on NP. It is utterly pointless other than, if it is your preferred way, as part of your valuation process.

The first thing, and this cannot be over-emphasised, is spotting a good domain. That can only be done by coming up with a name to register or seeing a name on a list which screams out loud at you "there is an obvious good business case for this domain name!".

So ask yourself before buying "What kind of business could I, or any entrepreneur or business owner, build on this domain name?" These are the only ones worth going to the bother of valuing in the first place.

Going through your list, you have one or two worth keeping. You won't make a lot on any of them but you may at least cover your costs to date.

Do not renew the remainder. If you can't sell them just let them drop or you will lose more money on them. Misspellings are worthless for starters, unless they lend themselves to branding. Yours, I'm sorry to say, don't. Get them onto NameLiquidate.com and repeat that with 30 day gaps until they simply drop if they don't sell.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back