IT.COM

advice I have an addiction...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sjpals

Yeah, this is meTop Member
Impact
I have an addiction to buying domain names. I have been buying them since 2010 and have about 100.
I honestly had intentions of building sites on all of them, but as I have more domains than time, I am trying my hand at selling them. I am now not allowing myself to by any more until i sell at least 1!!! and im running out of will power.

Ive put a couple on ebay, afternic and dan (about 7 on each) and they are all for sale (if reg over 60 days) at the 2 registrars I hold them with.

All of them are .coms, most are single words and range from what I think could be good for ecommerce such as (bushily.com and toothypeg.com) to the bad (anjug.com - I thought this could be "a nice" jug and sell homewares LOLOLO and meowave - cat clothing maybe?? haha).

I have been considering other TLDs, but think I better stick with what I (kinda) know.

I have put them all on at 10K, im guessing that is way too high though? Should I be aiming at under $5K? or under $3K even? I realise that like most sales I guess I have to wait for the right person to buy and this could be a long waiting game. Do you do a 'proper' valuation or just put them on for a set price and hope?

I originally also had a plan that as I'm a domain reseller that if the domains were held under my account that people might keep them there and renew with me, but I am guessing that most people just transfer the domains to their own registrar and portfolio? is this what you do?

Much as i would love to just buy and sell domains as a full time job, I realise this is not a thing, especially with less than $100 to invest!! Going forward, I think my plan is to transfer them to my own reseller account, wait the 60 days, build a site and then sell the site. I think this may work better than just selling the domains.

Any thoughts, encouragement, advice ... please save me from myself LOL, I can't buy any more till I've sold at least one!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is the most common mistake by new domainers, going on a reg-frenzy!!

Here are 4 vital tips that work for me

1) Always get a list of potential buyers before buying a name
2) Don't park a name and wait for a buyer, actively approach end-users
3) Don't buy loads of names, buy 2 or 3, sell them and then reinvest that cash, if you dont, renewals fees will eat any profit you make.
4) Don't not hand-reg crap names (no good names left) , buy good names off existing owners and resell them, quality over quantity is crucial, its better to have 2 decent names rather than 20 crap names you'll never sell.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
This is the most common mistake by new domainers, going on a reg-frenzy!!

Here are 4 vital tips that work for me

1) Always get a list of potential buyers before buying a name
2) Don't park a name and wait for a buyer, actively approach end-users
3) Don't buy loads of names, buy 2 or 3, sell them and then reinvest that cash, if you dont, renewals fees will eat any profit you make.
4) Don't not hand-reg crap names (no good names left) , buy good names off existing owners and resell them, quality over quantity is crucial, its better to have 2 decent names rather than 20 crap names you'll never sell.

Good luck
I would love to buy better quality domains. I currently see an available domain worth $6k according to godaddy, It costs $1250. I dont even have half of that in my bank account....

on the converse there is a domain valued at $800 that godaddy wants me to purchase for $6K lol . Makes no sense at all. If you want a laugh, they are a.protection and a.security

Last edited:
•••
I think it's good that you recognise that you've got a problem, that's nothing to be ashamed of. You should be honest with yourself, are the names you are buying actually worth buying?

My honest opinion of the names you have mentioned is that they are brandable, sure, but they don't have any value and it would take a very specific circumstance for someone to want to buy them. I know this because I'm writing this now having read your message and I can't remember the names or how to spell them.

You should take time to re-evaluate whether you can afford to continue investing and also be honest with yourself about what really holds value in the domain space and what does not.

It would be fine for you to continue to do what you're doing if you're enjoying it and can afford it, but if you're not then the added addition of not achieving what you really want (sales) means that it's unsustainable.

•••
Hi

what i noticed,
is probably a preconceived notion, which you may have assumed about domaining,
and that is "that it's quick and fast money".

and that's based on the names you posted and prices set for them.

sure, if you don't ask for it, you won't get it, but to expect without rationalizing, can leave one feeling hopeless in the end.

contrary to others, i park every domain i acquire.
this is so i can get to know my domains...
see if anybody else thinks like me -
and how often they do

i don't search for buyers
which keeps leverage on my side
just try to have what they looking for
at the right time, for the right price

in the meantime,
those parked names are stacking stats
and some produce revenue, too.
that income is recycled to the list
which means less names have to be sold to sustain
or
more names can be purchased or renewed, without coming out of pocket.

imo...

•••
I think it's good that you recognise that you've got a problem, that's nothing to be ashamed of. You should be honest with yourself, are the names you are buying actually worth buying?

My honest opinion of the names you have mentioned is that they are brandable, sure, but they don't have any value and it would take a very specific circumstance for someone to want to buy them. I know this because I'm writing this now having read your message and I can't remember the names or how to spell them.

You should take time to re-evaluate whether you can afford to continue investing and also be honest with yourself about what really holds value in the domain space and what does not.

It would be fine for you to continue to do what you're doing if you're enjoying it and can afford it, but if you're not then the added addition of not achieving what you really want (sales) means that it's unsustainable.
Thanks for your reply. The names were all bought for ecommerce or information sites, so yes they were bought as brandable names and not as names that had value. I am absolutely reassessing this going forward!

•••
Hi

what i noticed,
is probably a preconceived notion, which you may have assumed about domaining,
and that is "that it's quick and fast money".

and that's based on the names you posted and prices set for them.

sure, if you don't ask for it, you won't get it, but to expect without rationalizing, can leave one feeling hopeless in the end.

contrary to others, i park every domain i acquire.
this is so i can get to know my domains...
see if anybody else thinks like me -
and how often they do

i don't search for buyers
which keeps leverage on my side
just try to have what they looking for
at the right time, for the right price

in the meantime,
those parked names are stacking stats
and some produce revenue, too.
that income is recycled to the list
which means less names have to be sold to sustain
or
more names can be purchased or renewed, without coming out of pocket.

imo...
Ive never presumed its quick fast money! I didnt intend to sell the domains, I intended to sell ecommerce sites, and will still pursue that, but if I sell the domains off in the mean time, i wont be sad. I knew that my pricing was unrealistic, as I said, I wasnt sure. I have reduced them down to much more sensible pricing.

I like the idea of parking the domains, but I want to actively sell them as I need the money. I am in the process of putting them on sedo, afternic and dan. I also have them for sale at the registras and a few even on ebay.

•••
I would love to buy better quality domains. I currently see an available domain worth $6k according to godaddy, It costs $1250. I dont even have half of that in my bank account....

on the converse there is a domain valued at $800 that godaddy wants me to purchase for $6K lol . Makes no sense at all. If you want a laugh, they are a.protection and a.security

First thing you need to do is stop using Godaddy evaluations, they are worth anything.

•••
I have an addiction to buying domain names. I have been buying them since 2010 and have about 100.

I believe you are100% healthy and cant call it addiction , If since 2010 till now you have 100 domains ONLY !!

•••
Ive never presumed its quick fast money! I didnt intend to sell the domains, I intended to sell ecommerce sites, and will still pursue that, but if I sell the domains off in the mean time, i wont be sad. I knew that my pricing was unrealistic, as I said, I wasnt sure. I have reduced them down to much more sensible pricing.

I like the idea of parking the domains, but I want to actively sell them as I need the money. I am in the process of putting them on sedo, afternic and dan. I also have them for sale at the registras and a few even on ebay.
Great idea. If you're good at it you should put them to good use.

•••
I believe you are100% healthy and cant call it addiction , If since 2010 till now you have 100 domains ONLY !!

I only BOUGHT 100 domains. Doesnt mean i haven't spent an unreasonable amount of time researching and obsessing, lololo

•••
Great idea. If you're good at it you should put them to good use.
Thanks, that was why I bought them, I didnt intend to sell them as just domains, but I feel I have too many.

•••
First thing you need to do is stop using Godaddy evaluations, they are worth anything.
very true, BUT, If I sell them on afternic, the evaluation will show on goDaddy and its not great marketing to try and sell anything for higher than an evaluation (even if its totally wrong and I agree on that point). Also, how many times have you seen in this forum alone that other domainers are looking for domains and express the GD value as an aribtary way to sort the wheat from the chaff, which it kinda does because even GD said at namecon that you want to aim for domains that are valued at over 2.5K, which is actually quite rare on the GD valuation. I have priced them all at a lot lower (all under USD 3K) and have spread them across sedo, afternic, dan, ebay and brandpa, so i'll give it a week or two and see how it goes. Only the buyers will determine the true price

•••
Only the buyers will determine the true price
Hi

price, may not be equal, to what it's really worth.
so how do you determine true value?

imo...

•••
How many domains has he dropped?

I have less than 100 after 14 years. Dropped 1000 though

•••
very true, BUT, If I sell them on afternic, the evaluation will show on goDaddy and its not great marketing to try and sell anything for higher than an evaluation (even if its totally wrong and I agree on that point). Also, how many times have you seen in this forum alone that other domainers are looking for domains and express the GD value as an aribtary way to sort the wheat from the chaff, which it kinda does because even GD said at namecon that you want to aim for domains that are valued at over 2.5K, which is actually quite rare on the GD valuation. I have priced them all at a lot lower (all under USD 3K) and have spread them across sedo, afternic, dan, ebay and brandpa, so i'll give it a week or two and see how it goes. Only the buyers will determine the true price

Best thing is to delete any automated appraisal tools (GD, Estibot, Evaluate etc) from your browser and dont use them again, they just make up number. Forget about them when selling and pricing your names.

Godaddy is a registrar, of course they will inflate the numbers, they want you to buy names through them. Its just new domainers on here that based their buying on GD appraisals. Its totally up to you know though, just giving advice, good luck

Last edited:
•••
Best thing is to delete any automated appraisal tools (GD, Estibot, Evaluate etc) from your browser and dont use them again, they just make up number. Forget about them when selling and pricing your names.

Godaddy is a registrar, of course they will inflate the numbers, they want you to buy names through them. Its just new domainers on here that based their buying on GD appraisals. Its totally up to you know though, just giving advice, good luck
They may just make up a number, but so do I??!!! How is the figure I arrive at any different.

•••
They may just make up a number, but so do I??!!! How is the figure I arrive at any different.

That's why you don't use automated appraisals. That's why you have to learn what makes a name valuable yourself by reading and researching, approaching end-users, making sales, monitoring other sales (dnjournal, namebio etc)

After a while you start to learn the value of a name and then its no longer a guess and you don't have to "make up a number"

A lot of new domainers use automated appraisals to justify their registrations, especially when there are not a lot of sales being made.

The advice is there to do what you want with it. You don't have to reply, I'm done here.

Good luck in the future

•••
Hi

price, may not be equal, to what it's really worth.
so how do you determine true value?

imo...
Exactly, how do you determine that? For the end user, they will either look to see if its brandable or what the GD value is (IMO because they are inexperienced). Only other domainers and investors will dig deeper. Alot of it is subjective, and I need a quick way of doing it.

Ive priced them all pretty much around the GD pricing, with some exceptions of the ones that I feel are more valuable or that brandpa have valued higher. Ill just have to wait and see I guess.

•••
That's why you don't use automated appraisals. That's why you have to learn what makes a name valuable yourself by reading and researching, approaching end-users, making sales, monitoring other sales (dnjournal, namebio etc)

After a while you start to learn the value of a name and then its no longer a guess and you don't have to "make up a number"

A lot of new domainers use automated appraisals to justify their registrations, especially when there are not a lot of sales being made.

The advice is there to do what you want with it. You don't have to reply, I'm done here.

Good luck in the future
Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated

•••
I like nameworth and alter if you want an appraisal bot , however please do not base your decision to buy solely on that. Unless you want to try to get in front of a potential trend, learn what typically sells and look for names with those keywords that make sense. I spend several hours a day combing through the scrap heap for value Unless you can do that may be better off buying some names that others hold.

•••
Namebio.com and DNjournal are your friend.

•••
•••
Short advise:
Don't sell. Develop. Stick to your first plan with your domains.

Long explanation:
When you sell domains someone will pay you some money. Right? But for what reason? They will develop your domains in order to make profit. Eventually your domains will be developed either by you or someone else. If you are able to develop, then develop. If you aren't, then sell, let someone else develops. If someone else can make profit after acquisition cost you could make more profit than them as your acquisition cost would be the lowest. Sell only the ones which you aren't able to develop.

•••

I've bought ten in the last week, or maybe 15...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back