IT.COM

I have 2 questions about GoDaddy?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
1) Is it possible to receive a push of a domain from another GoDaddy member without adding a 60 Day hold. I remember doing this in the past, but don't recall how I did this. Is this still possible? How to do this? @Joe Styler

2) Does GoDaddy have any sales of NGTLD's (expiring or members sales)? I've tried many times to use their search form (the one with all the tick boxes), but I always fail to find any NGTLD's for sale. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Understand the first part. Just to be clear. This is only changing the registrant email. Not any other of the Registrant info or any other of the contacts? Correct?

Do the emails requesting confirmation of the ownership change, indicate which one gives the option to opt out? Or do you have to click on each email and go to GoDaddy, so you can see the opt out option before selecting it and save?

You have to click on each one to check. I'm sure there's some logic in what email contains the right link but I never bothered to check :)

Before they changed the push process it worked out of the box, pretty straightforward.

•••
@NameDeck - Just to be clear. Earlier, when you were explaining about changing the Registrant Details, but I'd just like to be clear that you didn't mean ALL the registrant details, but only change the Registrant eMail ONLY, not ALL the Registrant Details. Correct? Y/N? What exactly is triggering the change of details if it's not the Registrant eMail? And does it also apply to all the other Contacts too?

What do the contacts look like (re Old/New Info) when the domain is in your account without another 60 days added

Last edited:
•••
@NameDeck - Just to be clear. Earlier, when you were explaining about changing the Registrant Details, but I'd just like to be clear that you didn't mean ALL the registrant details, but only change the Registrant eMail ONLY, not ALL the Registrant Details. Correct? Y/N? What exactly is triggering the change of details if it's not the Registrant eMail? And does it also apply to all the other Contacts too?

What do the contacts look like (re Old/New Info) when the domain is in your account without another 60 days added

If you follow the outlined steps you can change all owner details, opt out and your domain will not be locked. So company, name, address, email etc on all contacts (owner, admin, tech).

The contacts should reflect whatever you filled them out to be after a change.

Except for new regs, the lock added after a whois change is not mandatory as per ICANN. They leave it up to the registrar. That's why you don't face these issues on Namesilo, Namecheap, DD etc. They don't lock by default after a whois change.

Changing the email address on the Admin-c (administrative) record will not trigger a whois (thus owner) change. As the AUTH code should (again, I'm not 100% sure but this is my understanding and worked for me access different registrars) always be mailed to this address. So if you need to gain access to the auth code without changing whois, this should be a workaround.

I'm not sure about the other info on the Admin-c and tech-c. Changes on the Owner contact however always trigger a whois update and need to be opted out. Either your registrar does this by default or in the case of GD give you the opt-out option. Some may just always add a lock (yes you Netsol!).

Last edited:
•••
If I understand you correctly. You can change everything once the domain is in your account, provided GoDaddy will send you an email asking to confirm the opt out. Is that correct? @Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
It is an ICANN lock now. We give you the choice at the time of setting up the account change, by whoever is initiating the domain from their account, to choose either to send it with or without the lock. It is important to note that the lock and therefore lock option on the change only apply when there is a change of registrant on the domain at the time of the account change. If there is no WHOIS update there is no lock. The lock revolves around changes to the ICANN change of registrant mandated process which was put in place I think two years back. (off the top of my head so take it with a grain of salt).

Are you SURE this is a mandatory change by ICANN, or is it just optional, and GoDaddy have decided to implement it. Unlike most registrars?

•••
While the current scheme appears to be usable (today), the question is: how stable is it, and what changes may occur tomorrow? I mean GoDaddy local changes, not ICANN... @Joe Styler

Last edited:
•••
If I understand you correctly. You can change everything once the domain is in your account, provided GoDaddy will send you an email asking to confirm the opt out. Is that correct? @Joe Styler

Yes. That's correct.

•••
While the current scheme appears to be usable (today), the question is: how stable is it, and what changes may occur tomorrow? I mean GoDaddy local changes, not ICANN... @Joe Styler

That's exactly my issue with GoDaddy pushes. You can never be 100% sure.

They should make the gaining owner the one that opts out. Problem solved.

•••
Alright... here goes nothing... pushing Godaddy domains like a pro :)

1. This is the domain whois info prior to the push:

gd1.png

2. The sending account will be presented with this screen. Make them opt for the yes button

gd2.png

3. The gaining account will get this email.

gd3.png

4. follow the link and you will be presented this form. Make sure to pick the skip review option
gd4.png

5. Once completed you will find the domain to be locked for 10 days from transfer by GD. This is a security measure. Check in your panel

gd5.png

6. Lets go and update the registrant info to your own. I blocked out specifics but left the company field open for clarity. Check the warning they give. Don't worry. You'll be fine.

gd6.png

7. You will get one or multiple emails looking like this:

gd7.png

8. Make sure to follow the link and only approve if you are presented a form with the opt out option. it looks like this:

gd8.png

9. Check in your panel. There has been no lock applied exept for the 10 day security measure

gd9.png

10. Verify company update by whois.

gd10.png

•••
That's exactly my issue with GoDaddy pushes. You can never be 100% sure.

They should make the gaining owner the one that opts out. Problem solved.
We cant do that the losing registrant has to pick it's part of a change ICANN made to help reduce domain theft I believe.

•••
We cant do that the losing registrant has to pick it's part of a change ICANN made to help reduce domain theft I believe.

Yes Joe, only the dinosaur registrars this rational...

it’s why i despise Network Solutions, eNom, LCN etc...

5-7 day transfers for “safety” now expedited 21st century

youre using “ICANN safety” as loophole for push bugs!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Yes it is correct, you as the changer of the info pick if you want the update to lock the domain or not and you accept the change.

•••
Who knows what tomorrow holds? That is what keeps it exciting. If anything though I know the team is very focused on making the change process easier over time not more complex and they made a lot of incremental changes last year in response to customers to try and help improve it after the initial change. A lot of what was brought up here was relayed directly back to the team working on it in order to improve the experience.

•••
Yes Joe, only the dinosaur registrars this rational...

it’s why i despise Network Solutions, eNom, etc..

5-7 day transfers for “safety” now expedited 21st century

you’re using ICANN “safety” as loophole for push bugs!
No everyone does it because it is mandated by ICANN. I did a competitive analysis last year to help with the team who implemented this and I've got screenshots of most of the other registrars processes showing the change process and this step in particular. Some do handle it differently by defaulting the change to no lock and making you choose to lock the domain, (we leave it blank and let the person pick). But by and large its the same process any time you are changing the Registrant contact regardless of if the domain is leaving the account or not there is a question about the lock that must be responded to and also an email notification that has to go to the old and new registrant.

•••
No everyone does it because it is mandated by ICANN. I did a competitive analysis last year to help with the team who implemented this and I've got screenshots of most of the other registrars processes showing the change process and this step in particular. Some do handle it differently by defaulting the change to no lock and making you choose to lock the domain, (we leave it blank and let the person pick). But by and large its the same process any time you are changing the Registrant contact regardless of if the domain is leaving the account or not there is a question about the lock that must be responded to and also an email notification that has to go to the old and new registrant.

thanks for your classy response, as always, Joe.
thanks for showing what goes these decisions / analysis.

hopefully one day, streamline the process, even further.!
(60 day lock-out, is a start, but still not mandatory.!

thankfully Gd adapted new 60 day transfer opt out rules, give you credit for, fingers crossed; fix 60 day GD Push!

Samer

Last edited:
•••

Thanks for the input.... I do spot an 'I believe' so you're not 100% sure :).

Seriously though, GoDaddy having a lot of aftermarket business would gain more permanent clients if the push process was as easy as some as the registrars mentioned before.

A couple of years ago it was a plus if you were selling a domain at GD. That isn't the case anymore in my experience.

So work your magic and get the word out to the techs at GD ;)

•••
Yes it is correct, you as the changer of the info pick if you want the update to lock the domain or not and you accept the change.

So we do have the option to NOT lock the domain when changing the whois data? What is this guessing game with you sending the confirmation question multiple times, with only 1 of those emails, going to a link which allows us to NOT lock the domain. As described by @NameDeck. For example. If you send 4 emails and only one of these emails has the ability to not lock the domain, we might just give up, if it's always the last email. Is there any way from telling these emails apart, so we only need to click once, and not multiple times? Or send the ability to NOT accept a lock always in the first email? Or even better. Always send an email with the ability to NOT accept a lock. There is no rhyme or reason, why it should only be in one of your emails, and not all.

Last edited:
•••
So we do have the option to NOT lock the domain when changing the whois data? What is this guessing game with you sending the confirmation question multiple times, with only 1 of those emails, going to a link which allows us to NOT lock the domain. As described by @NameDeck. For example. If you send 4 emails and only one of these emails has the ability to not lock the domain, we might just give up, if it's always the last email. Is there any way from telling these emails apart, so we only need to click once, and not multiple times? Or send the ability to NOT accept a lock always in the first email? Or even better. Always send an email with the ability to NOT accept a lock. There is no rhyme or reason, why it should only be in one of your emails, and not all.

Yeah it strange. When I put those images together I only got one email though.

I checked my trash, previous time it was 3, 2 in English and one in my native language.

Maybe they made some changes again.

•••
Thanks for the info.
I forget sometimes a lot also.

•••
I guess you have never dealt with the government before :) I am not going to go look this up because I dont have the time, you can if you want or someone here more familiar with the ICANN rules off the top of their head can chime in. It's been about a year since I looked at the policy side of this in depth. You can look for ICANN change of Registrant policy or something similar in Google.

I remember there are specific emails we must email and I believe some we either can include or must include. Anyway there are at least two that I know off the top of my head must be sent and it may be up to four. We need to send to the gaining and losing registrant on the WHOIS change, i.e. the new and the old WHOIS owner. If I remember the rules right only the old or losing Registrant can choose the lock status - lock or unlock after change, and only the new Registrant can accept it with the lock or reject it.

This is where it gets a bit fuzzier, we either can or must send the emails to the Account holder as well. If all of these people are you then you are going to get three of four emails. I think we can alert the account holder as well and not must but we chose to because it helps make it an easier process for customers, especially those that do not have access to an old email address or something.

It is ICANN mandated and the process is more or less mandated as well in that you are definitely going to get multiple emails. Personally I think the process is a bit cumbersome, especially for a casual user who doesn't know what a registrant is or something. Having said that, I do appreciate the underlying reason for it as an effort to protect the registrant from having their domains stolen. I also appreciate that we are dealing with a lot of stakeholders and various countries and cultures around the World when ICANN is making decisions for the entire Internet like this and that coming to a conclusion that works for everyone isn't always very easy.

We have changed our process multiple times over the past year as well in response to customer feedback and are trying to get to a place where it is easy for anyone to change their account or registrant and still be in compliance with ICANN.

•••
I guess you have never dealt with the government before :) I am not going to go look this up because I dont have the time, you can if you want or someone here more familiar with the ICANN rules off the top of their head can chime in. It's been about a year since I looked at the policy side of this in depth. You can look for ICANN change of Registrant policy or something similar in Google.

I remember there are specific emails we must email and I believe some we either can include or must include. Anyway there are at least two that I know off the top of my head must be sent and it may be up to four. We need to send to the gaining and losing registrant on the WHOIS change, i.e. the new and the old WHOIS owner. If I remember the rules right only the old or losing Registrant can choose the lock status - lock or unlock after change, and only the new Registrant can accept it with the lock or reject it.

This is where it gets a bit fuzzier, we either can or must send the emails to the Account holder as well. If all of these people are you then you are going to get three of four emails. I think we can alert the account holder as well and not must but we chose to because it helps make it an easier process for customers, especially those that do not have access to an old email address or something.

It is ICANN mandated and the process is more or less mandated as well in that you are definitely going to get multiple emails. Personally I think the process is a bit cumbersome, especially for a casual user who doesn't know what a registrant is or something. Having said that, I do appreciate the underlying reason for it as an effort to protect the registrant from having their domains stolen. I also appreciate that we are dealing with a lot of stakeholders and various countries and cultures around the World when ICANN is making decisions for the entire Internet like this and that coming to a conclusion that works for everyone isn't always very easy.

We have changed our process multiple times over the past year as well in response to customer feedback and are trying to get to a place where it is easy for anyone to change their account or registrant and still be in compliance with ICANN.

Hi Joe,

I certainly wasn't intending you to need to lookup the rules up on ICANN again. I take your word for it that GoDaddy would not be asking for stuff if it is not compulsory by ICANN. But my point about the emails sent to the Registrant email address. Why do some emails to the registrant have the option to opt out of lock, and on other emails for the same transaction, do not include this option (ref: @NameDeck above). IMHO, ALL emails to the registrant for the same transaction should include both options. Or the email with the option to opt out of the lock should be easily identifiable as such.

Last edited:
•••
I remember there are specific emails we must email
This opens an interesting question. For many years (before the current ICANN policy), GoDaddy copied whois details from an old registrar for domains transferred-in. This included domainsale transactions, where the buyer elected to receive the domain by starting a registrar transfer to GoDaddy. Even though the buyers were supposed to update whois to theirs, many never bothered to. I recently received a renewal reminder (!) from GoDaddy for domain I sold years ago, the domain is currently with GD and is privacy protected. So it must still have my whois, even though I do not really own it neither technically nor legally. So, what will happen should the buyer finally decide to update whois someday? The system will send me an email to confirm. After many years, I do not remember who purchased it, it may also be that he subsequently resold it etc, so I simply cannot act on such a such a (potential) request today. How is such a situation supposed to be handled? I mean on GD level. A possible solution for the real owner might be another registrar transfer, which would work if he manages to download csv with authcode (not requesting it by email, since in this case I will receive the code - and, similarly, I would be unable to do anything with it). Any other solutions?
@Joe Styler - what do you think?

•••
Hi Joe,

I certainly wasn't intending you to need to lookup the rules up on ICANN again. I take your word for it that GoDaddy would not be asking for stuff if it is not compulsory by ICANN. But my point about the emails sent to the Registrant email address. Why do some emails to the registrant have the option to opt out of lock, and on other emails for the same transaction, do not include this option (ref: @NameDeck above). IMHO, ALL emails to the registrant for the same transaction should include both options. Or the email with the option to opt out of the lock should be easily identifiable as such.
My guess off the top of my head would be that one email is meant for the registrant and the other is meant for the account contact - your default account info at the account and not domain level. If they are both the same email address that would explain it.

•••
This opens an interesting question. For many years (before the current ICANN policy), GoDaddy copied whois details from an old registrar for domains transferred-in. This included domainsale transactions, where the buyer elected to receive the domain by starting a registrar transfer to GoDaddy. Even though the buyers were supposed to update whois to theirs, many never bothered to. I recently received a renewal reminder (!) from GoDaddy for domain I sold years ago, the domain is currently with GD and is privacy protected. So it must still have my whois, even though I do not really own it neither technically nor legally. So, what will happen should the buyer finally decide to update whois someday? The system will send me an email to confirm. After many years, I do not remember who purchased it, it may also be that he subsequently resold it etc, so I simply cannot act on such a such a (potential) request today. How is such a situation supposed to be handled? I mean on GD level. A possible solution for the real owner might be another registrar transfer, which would work if he manages to download csv with authcode (not requesting it by email, since in this case I will receive the code - and, similarly, I would be unable to do anything with it). Any other solutions?
That is where the multiple contacts come in to play that we are either allowed to or must email. So in this case we would email you and them and their account email and only two of them would have to approve the change. The way it works though would protect him if - and I know you would not do this, I am only making a hypothetical example here, you are the registrant still and you emailed in and said look I am the registrant that is my domain please give it to me. There would be a change at that point, the losing party would be notified because of this ICANN rule and he can say, wait a minute, no I don't accept this WHOIS change. Then he could go dispute this and presumably keep his domain. There are more steps and caveats but big picture, quickly here this would prevent a domain theft which is what they put the policy in place for.

•••

If the domain is in your account, you are the one who will receive the owner change approval email.

They send the email to both the current account holder and the domain registrant email address.

If you accept the change yourself (as they send it to the current account owner email) right away, the email sent to the registrant owner email will be accessible but when they try to confirm it shows as invalid.

So the first one to make it to the confirmation page basically is in charge (you can opt out there).

After this is confirmed they will send another confirmation to the new registrant email address to accept as well. This would be your email.

Still following?

On top of that: I've recommended before in this thread that you can freely change your Administrative email, which should be the one auth codes go to. It does not impose a 60 day lock.

However, it looks like they send the auth code to both the registrant email AND the administrative email when they're not the same so be careful if you use this as a last resort. The old owner will receive the code as well.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back