Dynadot

I don't like GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gatekeeper72

Established Member
Impact
Just used this as well to transfer several of my domains over to GD. Wow, $.99 is crazy cheap

Funny though, how you have to pay GoDaddy to give them your business. Not saying you will, but the likely hood of a person who transfers their domains to a register such as Godaddy will more likely do more business with them in the future since their domains are there. Such as getting email, hosting, GDD, Etc..Also I think (not sure) if you drop any, or any of them expire, they have more rights to them if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong on that part though...Just a thought..I think it's ridiculous to have to pay for a transfer though, unless paying to transfer out, not to.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Funny though, how you have to pay GoDaddy to give them your business. Not saying you will, but the likely hood of a person who transfers their domains to a register such as Godaddy will more likely do more business with them in the future since their domains are there. Such as getting email, hosting, GDD, Etc..Also I think (not sure) if you drop any, or any of them expire, they have more rights to them if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong on that part though...Just a thought..I think it's ridiculous to have to pay for a transfer though, unless paying to transfer out, not to.

Godaddy doesn't have any more rights to a dropped/expired domain name than other registrars. Actually Godaddy lets you unlock the domain name and request the authorization code even a month after the domain name has expired, this is something that 99% of registrars do not do.

As far as paying for transfers..why do you find it ridiculous? When you transfer a domain name you are adding a year of registration, you're paying for the renewal year, not the transfer itself.

•••
Godaddy doesn't have any more rights to a dropped/expired domain name than other registrars. Actually Godaddy lets you unlock the domain name and request the authorization code even a month after the domain name has expired, this is something that 99% of registrars do not do.

As far as paying for transfers..why do you find it ridiculous? When you transfer a domain name you are adding a year of registration, you're paying for the renewal year, not the transfer itself.

Actually Godaddy holds your domain for 90 days, and won't let you unlock to transfer out. I said I thought it was ridiculous for paying to transfer the person you're transferring to to give them your business. Explained why I felt that way above..I just think it should be the other way around, but that's JMO...

•••
Actually Godaddy holds your domain for 90 days, and won't let you unlock to transfer out. I said I thought it was ridiculous for paying to transfer the person you're transferring to to give them your business. Explained why I felt that way above..I just think it should be the other way around, but that's JMO...

90 days? I guess I've never come across a 90 day hold and I have thousands of domains at Godaddy.

•••
Yes, that's what I was told by GoDaddy for security purposes they put a lock on your domains for 90 days when you initially obtain them. You can push them to other people within the site, just not transfer out. Just going by what they told me. If you have questions about it, you should probably talk to them about it. I don't work there.

•••
Yes, that's what I was told by GoDaddy for security purposes they put a lock on your domains for 90 days when you initially obtain them. You can push them to other people within the site, just not transfer out. Just going by what they told me. If you have questions about it, you should probably talk to them about it. I don't work there.

You're referring to the 60 lock. The 60 lock when registering a domain name is an ICANN rule, not Godaddy. Godaddy also has the 60 day lock when transferring from one account to another or when updating the contact information, which I don't agree with, but there are ways around it.

•••

What you failed to add is that that 99% of registrars you mention, they are all in violation of ICANN's policy which states, I paraphrase, expiry should not be an impediment to a transfer away. GoDaddy, which breaks ICANN rules almost on a whim, are in compliance on this one (well for all but 3 days at the end, which we can forgive them).

•••
You're referring to the 60 lock. The 60 lock when registering a domain name is an ICANN rule, not Godaddy. Godaddy also has the 60 day lock when transferring from one account to another or when updating the contact information, which I don't agree with, but there are ways around it.

How do you change the contact info and not invoke the 60 day hold?

•••
They are not a domainer friendly registrar. But end-users love them. So what are we to do?

•••
They are not a domainer friendly registrar. But end-users love them. So what are we to do?

Main reason 99.9% of my portfolio is there as it speeds up end user sales as most already have an account there. Personal account rep and entire account lockdown/phone verification on transfers helps me sleep as well. As long as DDC stays reasonable with coupon codes I'll stay.

•••
You cannot find everything in one place, there are pros and cons of godaddy. So far love them, besides poor support and 60 days lock condition on contact change or account change.

•••
End users need as much assurance as possible and using Godaddy gives them that assurance. The Godaddy marketing machine is everywhere and it makes end users very comfortable with the whole sales process. This is why the majority of my names are at Godaddy.

Tell an end user that the name is at Afternic, Sedo, Dynadot etc….and they will tell you what the hell is that. Godaddy is very easy to deal with and they always pay out on the 10th day like clockwork. I will sometimes list a name on Godaddy auctions that someone wants to buy and have the buyer buy it through them and pay the 10% just because the process is so simple and so secure. I am willing to give up the 10% for peace of mind for myself and the buyer.

Account security/phone verification for transfers etc…give me total peace of mind. Being able to transfer names out on day 42 is an added plus.

I love Godaddy!!

•••
End users love them... not so sure. It's because they don't know any better and haven't tried other registrars.

End users need as much assurance as possible and using Godaddy gives them that assurance. The Godaddy marketing machine is everywhere and it makes end users very comfortable with the whole sales process. ....
This may be true with American buyers.
But many foreigners have never heard about gd. A French buyer will often mention OVH or Gandi, or an Australian will mention Melbourne IT.

I am always accommodating with buyers, if they tell me they want the domain to be transferred to their usual registrar, I will get the job done.

•••
What you failed to add is that that 99% of registrars you mention, they are all in violation of ICANN's policy which states, I paraphrase, expiry should not be an impediment to a transfer away. GoDaddy, which breaks ICANN rules almost on a whim, are in compliance on this one (well for all but 3 days at the end, which we can forgive them).

Completely agree. One registrar that I have about 1,000 domains at won't let you unlock or request the authorization code even a day or the same day of expiration. The status states "please renew the domain name".

•••

I believe the only way that the 60 day hold will become active is if you update the "Organization" info of the domain name. You're also able to send an email to [email protected] to have the lock reviewed and possibly removed, they have done it a few times in the past for me. The only reason I use Godaddy is because I now mainly sell to end users and nearly 90% of them use Godaddy. I used to use Dynadot which would actually hamper sales. I can also get the promo codes for transfer to Godaddy and also buy thousands of domains from the expired auctions so Godaddy is now just the natural choice, especially with the $8.37 renewals with DDC.

•••
$8.49 including ICANN fees :) This [email protected] only really works if you are maybe correcting a mistake with the previous Registrant Name. If you push a sale and don't change the registrant, the buyer cannot then change the registrant to themselves. [email protected] won't accept it. Also they make you jump thru too many hoops. It's many times, easier just to wait the 60 days out.

The main reason I left GoDaddy was because of their whois lookups. With the number of domains you have, you presumably manage them with a third party product (ie DomainPunch). With GoDaddy only allowing approx 120 lookups/day before they ban your IP address, it is extremely tiresome when on the odd occasion you'd like to refresh your entire portfolio (for whatever reason), and you are left with a whole lot of incomplete records and a banned IP address. Nowadays GoDaddy have also had a tendancy, to require you to second click on the whois, which puts you into a screen requiring a Turing Code as well, in order to get the complete whois info. Of course these domain portfolio managers cannot handle this scenario.

The secondary reason I left GoDaddy (which I liked a lot) was their policy of shooting first and asking questions later, and making it tiresome to reply. This never actually happened to me but I read enough stories to take note. The worst scenario being they might lock my account. I have much less worries about this at Dynadot.

So now I have to deal with buyers wanting their domains at GoDaddy. It's a bit more trouble. But I deal with it.

This 60 day lock only takes effect if you change the Registrant Name, afaik. I've never heard about this lock being invoked with changing the Registrant Organization. Can you please confirm that your domains are locked if you change the Registrant Organization only, and not the Registrant Name?

•••
Just for the record...I never said I didn't like Godaddy. The conversation I was having about thinking it was ridiculous to have you pay to transfer into them was moved here.

•••
Just for the record...I never said I didn't like Godaddy. The conversation I was having about thinking it was ridiculous to have you pay to transfer into them was moved here.

??? - Your headline is: I do not like Godaddy

•••
??? - Your headline is: I do not like Godaddy

I didn't make that headline. I was in another thread, and someone moved my comment to this thread. But I never said I didn't like Godaddy. Why would I? All I said was I thought it was ridiculous to have a domain transferred into a company to get their business... That could be any registrar, not just Godaddy. I didn't make this thread, my post was moved here from another. Also whoever moved it here, thanks for putting words in my mouth!

•••
Ok, sorry - I didn`t know it was not your headline, just thought it was contradictory

•••
I was wondering if something like that had happened. That's unfair, not so nice and shouldn't have been done.

•••
•••
I was wondering if something like that had happened. That's unfair, not so nice and shouldn't have been done.

I completely agree...But what can I do?

•••
I completely agree...But what can I do?

You could contact the moderators - through the Contact a Moderator section or by reporting this thread - and nicely ask that someone change the title...

I was not the one who moved this and don't know where it was first posted, BUT we frequently move off-topic posts to a more appropriate place. Certain threads in particular, such as the Godaddy Coupons thread, need to be kept very strictly on topic so people can find what they're looking for. We get complaints about off-topic posts from other members on a daily basis.

To put THIS back on topic, I don't like Godaddy, but that's me :).

Last edited:
•••
You could contact the moderators - one way would be by reporting this thread - and NICELY ask that someone change the title...

I was not the one who moved this and don't know where it was first posted, BUT we frequently move off-topic posts to a more appropriate place. Certain threads in particular, such as the Godaddy Coupons thread, need to be kept very strictly on topic so people can find what they're looking for. We get complaints about off-topic posts from other members on a daily basis.

To put THIS back on topic, I don't like Godaddy, but that's me :).

Yes I understand that but when a thread is about GD it is about GD! Take the GD coupons and renewal codes f.e. Personally I disagree with deleting all those posts that don't have a coupon in it. If someone is unhappy with something GD is doing I think it should be allowed. Not long ago someone posted there about the ridiculous increase in the DDC membership price, people commented on it included me. I just said something like. " we will have to transfer out to cheaper registrars like N***S*** for example ". My comment was deleted because I was advertising....??????????

I don't love Godaddy; I am quite happy with them and using them is more than necessary when you trade domains. There is no other option atm

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back