IT.COM

I don't like GoDaddy

NameSilo
Watch

gatekeeper72

Established Member
Impact
Just used this as well to transfer several of my domains over to GD. Wow, $.99 is crazy cheap

Funny though, how you have to pay GoDaddy to give them your business. Not saying you will, but the likely hood of a person who transfers their domains to a register such as Godaddy will more likely do more business with them in the future since their domains are there. Such as getting email, hosting, GDD, Etc..Also I think (not sure) if you drop any, or any of them expire, they have more rights to them if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong on that part though...Just a thought..I think it's ridiculous to have to pay for a transfer though, unless paying to transfer out, not to.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I didn't make that headline. I was in another thread, and someone moved my comment to this thread. But I never said I didn't like Godaddy. Why would I? All I said was I thought it was ridiculous to have a domain transferred into a company to get their business... That could be any registrar, not just Godaddy. I didn't make this thread, my post was moved here from another. Also whoever moved it here, thanks for putting words in my mouth!

At every registrar you have to pay to transfer your domain in. I'm not sure I get your point?

•••
At every registrar you have to pay to transfer your domain in. I'm not sure I get your point?
I do get the point. I just think if you are most likely going to be giving your business to someone, it should be free to move over to them. That's JMO..What I don't get is why this was moved to "I don't like Godaddy" when I NEVER said that, and why it couldn't just be deleted. That would have been better, or maybe a title with something I did say. I also don't get why we're still on this topic. I really have nothing more to say about it. It was just a comment I made, that someone went and made a big deal out of, and now still on the topic. I wish I had just never said anything at this point. JEESH!

•••
You don't pay for the transfer per se. But you get one additional year of registration time.
I am not totally sure, but I think the only transfers that are free (but without any extension) are bulk transfers, that happen when a registrar goes out of business and Icann designates another registrar to receive the whole portfolio of domain names.

•••
I do get the point. I just think if you are most likely going to be giving your business to someone, it should be free to move over to them. That's JMO..What I don't get is why this was moved to "I don't like Godaddy" when I NEVER said that, and why it couldn't just be deleted. That would have been better, or maybe a title with something I did say. I also don't get why we're still on this topic. I really have nothing more to say about it. It was just a comment I made, that someone went and made a big deal out of, and now still on the topic. I wish I had just never said anything at this point. JEESH!
If transfers were free then that means you could transfer your name to a different registrar every year and never pay a dollar. Nobody would make any money and they would not be in business. That logic absolutely doesn't make any sense.

I 100% agree with you that nobody should be able to create or change the headline for you without your permission. Whoever did it obviously doesn't like Godaddy and is using you instead of just saying it themselves.

•••
I have a few things I hate about godaddy, but as long as I have 20 plus accounts that all use discount codes in family member names and a few other friends then Ill stick with them.

•••
If transfers were free then that means you could transfer your name to a different registrar every year and never pay a dollar. Nobody would make any money and they would not be in business. That logic absolutely doesn't make any sense.

I 100% agree with you that nobody should be able to create or change the headline for you without your permission. Whoever did it obviously doesn't like Godaddy and is using you instead of just saying it themselves.

I agree. 100%

•••
I have a few things I hate about godaddy, but as long as I have 20 plus accounts that all use discount codes in family member names and a few other friends then Ill stick with them.
Oooooooooook. I take it you know the term "oversharing".

•••
Oooooooooook. I take it you know the term "oversharing".

over sharing would of been telling the names of the accounts, emails, customer ids, etc.

•••
Godaddy is very easy to deal with and they always pay out on the 10th day like clockwork. I will sometimes list a name on Godaddy auctions that someone wants to buy and have the buyer buy it through them and pay the 10% just because the process is so simple and so secure. I am willing to give up the 10% for peace of mind for myself and the buyer.

I love Godaddy!!
Interesting, so far this phenomenon of 10 days holds true. Odd in a way because in this case it was 10 calendar days that included a weekend AND a holiday. Further, the payments were secured on different days. Keeping an eye on this.

I do like GoDaddy but we have an open relationship and sometimes see other people.

Last edited:
•••
The 60 day lock on a domain happens if you change any info other than the administrative email. So if you're transferring out and need the proper email for auth codes just update admin. Contrary to popular belie godaddy sends codes to the admin email, not the registrant.

•••
The 60 day lock on a domain happens if you change any info other than the administrative email. So if you're transferring out and need the proper email for auth codes just update admin. Contrary to popular belie godaddy sends codes to the admin email, not the registrant.

Most of what you say here is not accurate. It's only if you change the Registrant Name, that invokes the 60 day lock. Unless this is something new in the last day or two. The second thing about the email is true, I believe.

•••
I worked for godaddy did 6 years. I know what I'm talking about.

•••
I have many times over the years changed the Registrant Name and the domain would be locked. Similarly I have changed anything else except the Registrant Name and the domain would not be locked. My GoDaddy Account Manager also agrees with me. So it seems you didn't learn a lot in those 6 years. As I said in my original post, unless this is some recent development.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back