IT.COM

GoDaddy does not want my business

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
It's year end time and I called godaddy to move over 300 domains to them. They offered me 500 bucks for a 5 year term to get into their discount club. I just laughed and told them I spend thousands at their auctions inly to have the domains not show up in my account. Then I call to move my domains and I have to pay $500 just to get the same price as I already pay with my registrar.

I plan to register at least another 500 domains this year plus acquire a number at auction and expiry auction.

The cost to simply move my domains in is immense, I cannot believe I have to pay to do business with them. With the thousands of dollars I have given them you would figure they would get me an account rep and help me transfer the domains over. Imagine how much they could make off me if I used them exclusively instead of all the other services I use.

Hosting, email, privacy, auction, it goes on and on.

I asked them to get this domain club for free (same as some of my friends already have) and instead they wished me well.

Too bad for Godaddy.... their loss

Imagine $500 bucks to pay the same price with less services than I already have.

I would have moved for convenience but this is poor management on their behalf. Also short sightedness for not seeing profit potential.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depending on how many auctions you win at GoDaddy per year, you may be spending more than you need to if you don't have GoDaddy DDC. IDK if you use coupons when you buy without DDC, but if you're paying auction price + $15 .com renewal, than at 20 auction wins per year, you'd be paying about $140 over the cost you would pay if you had DDC. Thus, If you can get DDC at $70 per year, and you decide not to purchase DDC you'd be forgoing on +/- $70 year.

A very important question to consider when deciding your default registrar. All I'm saying regarding GD DDC is it makes financial sense to buy it on a promo code when you're a bulk auction buyer. [unless somebody can show a better way?]

I agree totally @Grilled. If you are buying more than about 18 domains a year on their auctions, you are cutting your nuts off to spite your face. I almost paid for the deal you posted myself. But I decided not too because $359 is still a lot of money, even over 5 years, when I don't have any intention to buy domains at their auctions. I virtually never look at their auctions any more. The speed is atrociously abhorrent. It takes forever to search their auctions. The search often just times-out. I often just give up. Maybe when I upgrade to fiber, which is imminent, it might be better.

Last edited:
•••
They were quoting me in Canadian funds so a bit different calculations... you have to add about 30% for the USD

I decided to stay with my current registrar, the 500 bucks will be reinvested on more domains. I already have the club price with my registrar, just a pain to move every purchase from auction out of godaddy. Nonetheless $500 bucks will buy a lot of inconvenience.

I think you are crazy not to lock in the $8.47 price for 5 years. You will save so much money, with the low B/E Point. Based upon what you have told us to date. Oh, and @Grilled posted a deal at $359 for 5 years. Not $500.

Last edited:
•••
Picture0001.png

This is the best I can get for 5 years

Option two for me is to just stop buying at auction, which is also something I am considering.

If I buy carefully and the right domains the $500 can be applied in other ways in a profitable way as well.

It's not this $500 alone it's that I still have to pay for extra's like privacy and things that other registrars throw in. Hell I just found one that even throws in an ssl certificate with a wild card.

One has to carefully factor in all aspects when making a yearly budget, it is not cut and dry.

•••
@MapleDots - How much is that approx in USD? Personally. I have decided to not participate in their auctions. So I can understand that. But unless you have already decided to buy less than 20 domains a year, then I think you are crazy. This is such a low B/E Point, it's nuts. And I know how addictive it can be to buy their domains at auction. 20 domains a year is only just over 1.5 domains a month. IMHO. It's almost impossible to not buy that many domains :) If you are participating in their auctions.

Last edited:
•••
@MapleDots - How much is that approx in USD? Personally. I have decided to not participate in their auctions. So I can understand that. But unless you have already decided to buy less than 20 domains a year, then I think you are crazy. This is such a low B/E Point, it's nuts. And I know how addictive it can be to buy their domains at auction. 20 domains a year is only just over 1.5 domains a month. IMHO. It's almost impossible to not buy that many domains :) If you are participating in their auctions.

Stub, I have that price from my Registrar, I can continue to buy as many as I want without GoDaddy. It's only the auctions (and I have decided to stop buying there for now) that made the godaddy program even worth while for me to look at. So if I want to register a domain or buy one from a namepros member godaddy does not even come into play. (if I get a transfer code) No auction, no godaddy, simple as that and $500 saved.

I have enough contacts and buy a number of domains via pm on namepros, the godaddy issue was only if I continued with auction and for 2018 I am putting that on hold to see how I do.

I will probably buy better domains away from auction anyways, there are a number of members with clear out domains that are just as good if not better than godaddy.

•••
OK. If you have definitely decided to stop using GoDaddy Auctions. It's a good choice. It's what I decided to do also. Again, if it's a high priced domain, the extra $7 is insignificant. It only becomes significant with the low-hanging fruit. I wish you well in your domaining endeavors in 2018.

•••
@MapleDots - Who is your main Registrar? Any why?

•••
I currently use Canspace.ca for my .ca's (I have a ton of those) and the charge is $10.95 CDN compared to $19.95 CDN at GoDaddy or $11.99 with the discount club.

I use a number of registrars for the .coms all the way down to 2.99 when they are on sale.

So even with the discount club where I give GoDaddy $500 bucks I would still be paying $1 more per my .ca domains. I only dabble in .com's , the bulk of my business is in .ca's

•••
PS: I selected Dynadot out of about 50 registrars. 2nd and 3rd places went to Name.com and NameSilo.com respectively.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll let your account manager know you appreciate her. :)

Isaiah Bradley

Last edited:
•••
Godaddy is still operating at a loss so I think the times for heavily Discounted Soups and Free meals are over . OP if you are happy where you are stay where you are. In addition Godaddy are quite good at applying discounts even without DCC if you add multiple years and do bulk renewals they always get you a great deal over the Phone so don't take it personal we all would love to join a club for free but if they did kinda hard to justify charging the next person.

Anyway

Good Luck

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back