IT.COM

I bought a domain name from GoDaddy but they DID NOT DELIVER IT. What should I do ?

NameSilo
Watch

blue crystal

Established Member
Impact
I bought a domain name from Godaddy about 5 hours ago and I downloaded and kept its legal receipt in my PC.
Two hours later I went to their site to verify if it was listed with my other domains.
It was not !!!
I found it very strange.
One hour ago, I received an email saying:
"Could not register xxxxxx.xxx.
This is an error message we received from the registry: Domain failed availability check: Domain cannot be registered because another domain was found in a restricted status.
Let's check out why this happened and try to fix the problem. But if we can not register the domain yet, we'll make a refund (please wait one business day)."

Then I investigated about it in the whois.icann.org site.
It gives this info:

Important Dates
Updated Date: 2019-06-01
Created Date: 2014-04-02
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-04-02

If it was expired two months ago, wouldn't it be available for selling ?
Isn't Godady's responsibility to check out every domain name request before selling it ?
What should I do to defend my rights ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is normal.

If they are unable to register the domain, you would get a refund.

I get refunded within 4-5 working days.

•••
I am assuming you purchased the domain name in the aftermarket and it's not a handreg.

1. Aftermarket sale: When we purchase a domain name through Godaddy aftermarket/expired domains... There is usually a 10 day wait period before you get the name in your account. I think they have to allow the original owner to have a chance to still renew the name at a higher fee. If the owner last minute decides to renew the name, then you will not receive the name. As you can see, the creation date was in 2014, so the name didn't fully past it's expiration grace and redemption period. I always pray a buyer doesn't renew the name when i make a purchase of an expiring domain.
  2. If it's a handreg, it simply means Godaddy's system mistakingly showed a name as available when it was not. In rare moments this allows you to checkout fully. Sometimes their system will correct this before the sale goes through. Either way you'll receive a refund.

•••
If it's a handreg, it simply means Godaddy's system mistakingly showed a name as available when it was not. In rare moments this allows you to checkout fully. Sometimes their system will correct this before the sale goes through. Either way you'll receive a refund.
It was this case.
Once they failed to deliver my purchase, I think it should be their responsibility to contact the other registrar and ask them to transfer this domain to my name as soon it is released.
I refused the refunding and I demanded them to transfer the domain to my name as soon it is released.

•••
This is normal.

If they are unable to register the domain, you would get a refund.

Refunding the money does not pay the huge effort of many days searching for a suitable domain name.
Since this domain name was expired two months ago, Godaddy should wait until the other registrar releases it and then transfer to my name instead.

Last edited:
•••
It was this case.
Once they failed to deliver my purchase, I think it should be their responsibility to contact the other registrar and ask them to transfer this domain to my name as soon it is released.
I refused the refunding and I demanded them to transfer the domain to my name as soon it is released.

That is not how it works. The domain might have shown as available, but you can see via the WHOIS information it actually wasn't.

It happens sometimes. You will get a refund.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Refunding the money does not pay the huge effort of many days searching for a suitable domain name.
Since this domain name was expired two months ago, Godaddy should wait until the other registrar releases it and then transfer to my name instead.

Again, that is not how it works.

So the domain is not even registered @ GoDaddy.

If the domain is good it is going to have competition either via expired or pending delete auctions.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Is the domain even registered @ GoDaddy? If the domain is good it is going to have competition either via expired or pending delete auctions.

Here is the registrar:
Registrar: Ascio Technologies, Inc. Danmark - Filial af Ascio technologies, Inc. USA

•••
Here is the registrar:
Registrar: Ascio Technologies, Inc. Danmark - Filial af Ascio technologies, Inc. USA

They have no connection to GoDaddy. I am sure they have their own expiration process; if not it will go to pending deletes then any registrar is able to catch it. If it is a good domain there will be competition.

It is not like GD can just grab it and give it to you. It doesn't work like that.

Brad

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back