IT.COM

poll I am at 27,000 now, how many domains in your "keeper" portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

How many domains in your "keeper" portfolio (exclude "one-year-stand" promo regs)?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0-100

• 101-500

• 501-1000

• 1001-2500

• 2501-5000

• 5001-7500

• 7501-10000

• 10001-15000

• 15001-25000

• 25001-50000

• 50001-100000

• 100000+

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Recons.Com

Top Member
Impact
I crossed 27000 domain milestone today. I meant to start the sequel of my "5000" thread when I was at 20k, then at 25k, but never got around.

I am curious how things have changed for all of us since mid 2020 when I had the first poll.

My portfolio is 5.4 times larger than 2.8 years ago, so growing probably around 80% a year. Not quite doubling, but still a decent rate.

Almost all my names are with Godaddy save for hundred or so with Dyna. This helps with reducing admin load.

27000.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Is recons.com a new site? It's all dummy filler and no actual text yet.

Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo etc.

As far as # of domains, if you keep track of all inflows/outflows and you are hitting an all time high of net revenue at least every few months, then you are on track. If not, it may be time to consider pruning.

Last edited:
•••
Is recons.com a new site? It's all dummy filler and no actual text yet
looks like recons.com is experimenting with different types of landers. This domain is in his for sale listings so I doubt that it's a development project. Rightbrand is the portfolio listing site. It's a great name to be using when you consider all the names appear to be of the 'Brandable' type

I have spent a little while looking at his sales pages and I must admit that simple idea of adding a motif/logo (potential branding mark) does add appeal to the name and page in general. It also creates a nice space around each domain.

Funny enough if you take away the logo. and just see the domain alone (in your minds eye) many lose that certain something. I imagine there is good and thought-through method in his use of basic visuals.

It's good of Recons to share his whole approach to domaining. My concern was around the number of domains that need to be sold each month/year (at average pricing - which seems to be around the $3k mark) taking into account his disclosed annual renewal costs. I'm going to put it at around 90 to 100 plus each year.

I also like the fact that he doesn't hand-reg but goes on the bargain hunt for domains. what with his main employment and 27,000 domains he must be getting by on less than 6 hours sleep

my post is in addition to those under the previous user name of Revisiting

Last edited:
•••
•••
That's crazy... the renewal costs would give me anxiety :nailbiting:

•••
Thanks for sharing your success with us and congrats!
Since it became AMA session, here are questions from me :xf.smile:

1. Since you are focused on brandables, how many of your names are listed at brandable marketplaces (like BB, SH)? Could you share your experience with them?
  2. What is your current median cost of 1 domain acquisition?
  3. How many names you handregged recently (including post-drop reg)?
  4. What is your criteria for an investment-grade brandable name? May you share some metrics you use?
Thanks

•••
"Not sure I want to even keep installment option, as haven't seen any particular boost with it"

The big benefit of installments are not the sales made by installments but the fact that the presence of installments is increasing the number of potential buyers.
Without installments, a buyer knows that there are not many people who can put down a large amount at once, so he could act from a position of power, while the presence of installments allows many to purchase the same domain.
IMO the presence of the installments can make a potential buyer decide to act faster and pay more.

What is the point of "increasing the pool" if it doesn't help the bottom-line? Honestly, I don't think most of your typical buyers have clue about how low STRs are in the industry and how installment plan option can move the needle.

I have tested DAN up to 24 month LTO + BIN landers for few months and have probably lost tens of thousands in sales due to low conversion even with that option. In addition, the few LTO deals I got have quite considerable % of non-completion. So, to sum up, no or very little incremental sales, delayed income, incomplete deals.

•••
That's crazy... the renewal costs would give me anxiety :nailbiting:

I think that is what stops most. My solution was starting small, making sure it is profitable, learning, improving then doubling, then repeating the loop. I don't think I ever had a month where renewals exceeded revenue.

•••
Thanks for sharing your success with us and congrats!
Since it became AMA session, here are questions from me :xf.smile:

1. Since you are focused on brandables, how many of your names are listed at brandable marketplaces (like BB, SH)? Could you share your experience with them?
  2. What is your current median cost of 1 domain acquisition?
  3. How many names you handregged recently (including post-drop reg)?
  4. What is your criteria for an investment-grade brandable name? May you share some metrics you use?
Thanks

Thank you!

Since you are focused on brandables, how many of your names are listed at brandable marketplaces (like BB, SH)? Could you share your experience with them?

None currently. I have had near 800 at one point with BrandBucket, Brandpa and SquadHelp. They all start great and then degrade into mediocre results. Given their high commission, they need to deliver 2%+ STR consistently, which they don't for absolute majority of sellers. I also disliked that they position themselves as branding authority deciding if a name is good or bad with no real science behind. And they have added a lot of confusion into minds of investors thinking that if the name is approved it is good one and if not, then they should drop or not register it. Plus, listing with them is time consuming and requires lots of efforts, while there are no approvals, descriptions, fees etc. to list with Afternic, Sedo, Dan.

And, in the case of SH, I believe they stepped over the line with demands to increase my pricing at Afternic for listed names and start penalizing my listings if I didn't. Basically, all that screams "unreliable" to me. If I am investing 6-7 figures into this business, I can't rely on capriciousness of a third party, their antics and dwindling performance.

What is your current median cost of 1 domain acquisition?

I think I already mentioned this. Basically, currently I invest into a) liquid names that I buy at auctions, forums, groups with a median cost of low-mid $xxx or b) illiquid names that I buy at closeouts for low $xx.

Ideally, I'd like to balance 50%/50% in money terms between them, but currently I'd say 85%+ goes towards b). As my acquisition budget goes up, eventually I will take back to 50%/50%. This will make the portfolio more robust, as the renewals then won't be as high as 40%-50% of post-commission revenue.

In general, category b) is currently more profitable, but also more risky due to high % revenue going towards renewals. It also requires way higher skills, as identifying good ones is not as straightforward as with a) category. You can't easily rely on extensions regged or gauge by the interest from other bidders in the auctions.

How many names you handregged recently (including post-drop reg)?

Not more than a dozen in the past year I think. Overall, I'd say only around 0.1% of all my names are hand registered.

What is your criteria for an investment-grade brandable name? May you share some metrics you use?

This is, no doubt, the one million dollar question. I define investment-grade name as the one where if you could categorize and collect 1000 similar names you'd be selling enough in a year to cover your renewal costs and provide sufficient return on your investment (above the opportunity cost for the given level of risk).

As you can see with this definition, it is already not easy. One would need to have large enough portfolio, have ability to slice and dice according to various parameters for the types of names even within the brandable niche (albeit I disagree with this definition of brandable. Imo, even dictionary word names are brandables if they can be used as a brand) and then carry out proper data analysis to understand, learn and then apply to buying criteria.

Interestingly, you can see "investment-grade" being used a lot lately with no clear understanding what it entails. Most use it as another word for a "liquid" name.

•••
What is the point of "increasing the pool" if it doesn't help the bottom-line? Honestly, I don't think most of your typical buyers have clue about how low STRs are in the industry and how installment plan option can move the needle.

I have tested DAN up to 24 month LTO + BIN landers for few months and have probably lost tens of thousands in sales due to low conversion even with that option. In addition, the few LTO deals I got have quite considerable % of non-completion. So, to sum up, no or very little incremental sales, delayed income, incomplete deals.

Hi @Recons.Com What do you think is the best lander setup at the moment?

•••
300 for me. I am amazed at those with over 10,000 domains. No way could I keep track of that many, and I certainly don't have the funds rn to afford 10,000 high quality domains. (Having to decide whether to drop or re-register would be a nightmare).

•••
Got about 360 names now, and ill be happy when ill get to 500.

Goal for me is to keep the same quality while scaling.

•••
No way could I keep track of that many. (Having to decide whether to drop or re-register would be a nightmare).
You'd be fine...you would have no choice :)

•••
Definitely the right idea. There is no value in quantity if no one finds value in your names.

•••
•••
Got about 360 names now, and ill be happy when ill get to 500.

Definitely the right idea. There is no value in quantity if no one finds value in your names.

Goal for me is to increase quality while scaling.

Interesting discussion around quality. Of course, we dig deeper, how the quality is defined will differ across the board.

I assume, @Elad n means auction/private acquisition level of quality with mid $xxx to $xxxx purchase price tags.

If that is the case, then question is why to limit to that?

For me, the definition of quality is a name that it a) has potential to work as positive catalyst for a company/product/service/cause etc; b) can provide adequate level of return for my investment.

Based on my definition, I don't have to neither limit my portfolio to auction/private source names (of which I probably have around 600 names), nor tighten my requirements while scaling to improve overall quality.

Also, the advantage of large portfolio is having large set of own sales data. And one thing you notice that what you sold in the year would NOT rank among the best in your portfolio in the same price range. But they probably were the best for the specific niche/entrepreneur.

I mean if his company is already something like WeirdName (or wittyname or myownrarename or ... you get it) Holdings Inc. and they operate off the weirdnameholding dot com, of course, the highest quality name for them is weirdname dot com and if you happen to offer it for reasonable price range, they'll go for that, not some other name that is overall more versatile and might have more potential demand for it.

Last edited:
•••
Yea, not limited to but focusing on that and it takes a lot of my time.

Sure, working on creating a circle of "inventory" names but the way I do it, I'm talking about a growth of 100 150 names in a year.

•••
I have 350 names, but I will have 300 by the end of the year. Quality over quantity. I'm not interested in a 'multiple lotto number combination' portfolio. The problem I'm facing now is the lack of decent names to buy at reasonable prices. I haven't bought a single name over the last two months and I must replace some good ones I have sold. I will probably try hand reg a couple, as I have done it successfully(xxxx) in the past.

Last edited:
•••
For those who have few domains, do you make money with domaining ?
You need to have chance and be very patient !

•••
great:xf.grin:

just .com ?

can u tell us if there are also new TLDs in your Portfolio ?

•••
•••
now that is a lot of domains, I only have about ~750 now, what main registrar do you use? Do you get discounts, because you have a huge number of domains?

•••
Oh wow 27k domains, it's a big portfolio specially if you have excluding hand register domains.. congrats..!
I have only 100 and all picked from auctions, private deals no hand register.

•••
"Not sure I want to even keep installment option, as haven't seen any particular boost with it"

The big benefit of installments are not the sales made by installments but the fact that the presence of installments is increasing the number of potential buyers.
Without installments, a buyer knows that there are not many people who can put down a large amount at once, so he could act from a position of power, while the presence of installments allows many to purchase the same domain.
IMO the presence of the installments can make a potential buyer decide to act faster and pay more.

Thank You - Great Point re Installment...

Cheers !

•••
looks like recons.com is experimenting with different types of landers. This domain is in his for sale listings so I doubt that it's a development project. Rightbrand is the portfolio listing site. It's a great name to be using when you consider all the names appear to be of the 'Brandable' type

I have spent a little while looking at his sales pages and I must admit that simple idea of adding a motif/logo (potential branding mark) does add appeal to the name and page in general. It also creates a nice space around each domain.

Funny enough if you take away the logo. and just see the domain alone (in your minds eye) many lose that certain something. I imagine there is good and thought-through method in his use of basic visuals.

It's good of Recons to share his whole approach to domaining. My concern was around the number of domains that need to be sold each month/year (at average pricing - which seems to be around the $3k mark) taking into account his disclosed annual renewal costs. I'm going to put it at around 90 to 100 plus each year.

I also like the fact that he doesn't hand-reg but goes on the bargain hunt for domains. what with his main employment and 27,000 domains he must be getting by on less than 6 hours sleep

my post is in addition to those under the previous user name of Revisiting

Thank You - Great Post re LOGOs...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back