Domain Empire

discuss Hyphen names on the rise?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Hootsifer

Top Member
Impact
I've been noticing hyphen names selling for a bit more lately. Any thoughts?

May-Design.com [ Registered in 3 extensions ] - $16,000 dnjournal
mens-hair.com [ Registered in 9 extensions ] - $5,900 dnjournal
x-day.com [ Registered in 17 extensions ] - $5,000 dnjournal
b-and-t-world-seeds.com [ Registered in 2 extensions ] - $3,422 dnjournal

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hyphenated names, being inferior to their non-hyphenated versions, are generally unattractive from an investor's perspective (unless the keywords are very strong, as rightly mentioned above).
In my experience, they tend to under-perform.
End users who wish to use a .COM domain name for their business, sometimes opt to use the hyphenated version when the other option is taken.

It reminds me of coming across this banner by some reputable jeans brand, whose website uses a hyphenated domain "gloria-vanderbilt" (see bottom left) for their brand and they apparently don't even own the non-hyphen name - it's rare, and makes one wonder how much traffic they lose to it.
IMG_4737(1).jpg

•••
•••
Hyphenated names, being inferior to their non-hyphenated versions, are generally unattractive from an investor's perspective (unless the keywords are very strong, as rightly mentioned above).
In my experience, they tend to under-perform.
End users who wish to use a .COM domain name for their business, sometimes opt to use the hyphenated version when the other option is taken.

It reminds me of coming across this banner by some reputable jeans brand, whose website uses a hyphenated domain "gloria-vanderbilt" (see bottom left) for their brand and they apparently don't even own the non-hyphen name - it's rare, and makes one wonder how much traffic they lose to it.Show attachment 223951
your example shows, why a hyphenated name can be good / helpful:

a company name, that is so long and absolutley non generic / non-common,
can help the consumer to a) type it correctly b) remind it better.

When he types it in by himself.

Nowadays, most people actually start to google such a name, as it is much easier, and auto-correction enabled.

All in all, a non-hyphened name makes it easier for the company, not to lose any traffic to other sites, that's correct.
But I wouldn't use it in this case as main domain / would still prefer the hyphenated, due to reasons of memorisation etc.

And this is the reason why (some) germans like to use hyphenated domains.
As it makes it easier to overlook the whole brand-name.

Last edited:
•••
just a correction of my pre-post:
a) Of course I would do anything to get my hands on the non-hyphenated name, and forward it.
b) I am also stunned sometimes, why companies use that hyph. name, instead of a non-hyph.
- but this is another story / other cases.

Last edited:
•••
This is why we need hyphens/dashes...

Tennesseeestatesalesservices .com OR

Tennessee-estate-sales-service .com

I -rest- my d-a-s-h .com

•••
Can You please share how did you particularly sell them to Germans. Thanks.
I've sold a few hyphenated domains over the last few years. Almost all of them to Germans. No special trick, I just listed them and Germans contacted me :)

•••
Germans actually PREFER hyphenated. They take that as the first choice. I have sold many to Germans and yes, $1500 or so is the sweet spot for me.
The names you sold was it a drop reg
Where they taken in other TLd
Lastly what are the things you look out for,Before regin hyphen names
Thanks

•••
sold t o p - b a r . c o m today for $1,200
just as example of hyphenated domain sale

Last edited:
•••
Someone sold (the-signal.com) for 7700$ at Godaddy.
One has to note that this domain is very old from 1995 year.

•••
The names you sold was it a drop reg
Where they taken in other TLd
Lastly what are the things you look out for,Before regin hyphen names
Thanks
Always at auction. I don't need to spend too much, and I just buy and post for sale. They do very well if I pick the right keywords.

•••
Have

Manila-Hotel.com 14,800 Monthly exacts .

Phuket-Hotel.com sold for $3,600 - Only 5,400 Exacts .

Anyone interested?

PM

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Soulbound-Nfts.com and USD-C.com
wholesale price is 999. If anyone interested here.

•••
•••
What do you think Bitcoin-Miner dot com would be worth retail?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back