IT.COM

discuss Exploring the Potential of .ml Domains: A Thread on Machine Learning Extensions.

NameSilo
Watch

Pusang Gala

NoyPi DomainerTop Member
Impact
Hi folks!

Share your thoughts on the potential of .ml extensions in the tech space. Despite being one of the most abused TLDs, some are investing in it. Is it due to the association with machine learning, mirroring the rise of .ai for artificial intelligence?

Will .ml become synonymous with machine learning websites? Predictions, opinions, and speculations are welcome 😃.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can also showcase your .ml domains if you have.

•••
Someone sold green.ml

Screenshot_20231126_011306.jpg

•••
Synapse.ml owned by Microsoft

•••
•••
Avoid .ml. it's considered to be a scam/spam extension.
I understand that the .ml domain extension has been associated with spam in the past. However, I believe that this perception will change.

This extension will poised for increased adoption and traction in the future, driven by the rapid advancements in AI and machine learning. While its current usage may not yet reflect its full potential, the growing relevance of machine learning and AI across various industries suggests that the .ml domain extension is well-positioned to gain prominence in the years to come.

Similar to the .xyz domain extension, which was once considered to be a spam extension and is now selling for five and even six figures. I believe that the same will happen to the .ml domain extension. As AI and machine learning continue to evolve, the .ml domain extension will become more relevant and sought after.

Last edited:
•••
I understand that the .ml domain extension has been associated with spam in the past. However, I believe that this perception will change.

This extension will poised for increased adoption and traction in the future, driven by the rapid advancements in AI and machine learning. While its current usage may not yet reflect its full potential, the growing relevance of machine learning and AI across various industries suggests that the .ml domain extension is well-positioned to gain prominence in the years to come.

Similar to the .xyz domain extension, which was once considered to be a spam extension and is now selling for five and even six figures. I believe that the same will happen to the .ml domain extension. As AI and machine learning continue to evolve, the .ml domain extension will become more relevant and sought after.
Probably not, you’re trying to convince yourself. 2 reported sales from over 6 years ago, $200 and $180, history of spam and abuse. AI is evolving and .ai getting sales but .ml is not while AI is hot. Not a good sign.

Last edited:
•••
Probably not, you’re trying to convince yourself. 2 reported sales from over 6 years ago, $200 and $180, history of spam and abuse. AI is evolving and .ai getting sales but .ml is not while AI is hot. Not a good sign.
While I understand your concerns regarding the limited sales of .ml domains, I believe that the current underutilization of the extension does not fully reflect its potential for growth. The AI and machine learning industry is still in its early stages of development, and the .ml domain extension is well-positioned to gain traction as these technologies continue to mature.
The two reported sales you mentioned occurred over six years ago when AI and machine learning were not as widely recognized or adopted as they are today. The current enthusiasm and investment in AI and machine learning are likely to drive increased demand for the .ml domain extension, making it a more valuable asset for businesses and organizations operating in the AI and machine learning space.
While the .ai domain extension may have experienced more sales recently, it's important to consider that the .ml extension has not had the same level of exposure and marketing as the .ai extension. As the .ml domain extension gains more recognition and awareness, its adoption is likely to increase.

•••

I sincerely doubt it.

Look into how (and why) .ml was abused. Who was pushing it, stuff like that. Good luck.

•••
Time will tell I guess. Despite being the subset of AI this is the projection of ML vs AI for the next years in terms of market size ( could vary depending on the research firm )

Market size ML : 2022 -> 38 billion USD - expected 771 billion USD by 2032
Market size AI: 2022 -> 454 billion USD - expected 2575 billion USD by 2032

Therefore this has to be taken also into account that AI will be always bigger and more sought after if we speak in general about AI, but I also second that .ml will have its place.

•••
I sincerely doubt it.

Look into how (and why) .ml was abused. Who was pushing it, stuff like that. Good luck.
Remember when .xyz faced skepticism due to its past association with spam? Despite its questionable start, it transformed into a sought-after extension, fetching significant figures. Trends change, and with the right positioning and evolving industry needs, extensions like .ml could follow a similar trajectory. The key lies in recognizing the evolving landscape and potential shifts in perception. It might be an uphill battle, but it's not unprecedented in the domain world.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Remember when .xyz faced skepticism due to its past association with spam? Despite its questionable start, it transformed into a sought-after extension, fetching significant figures. Trends change, and with the right positioning and evolving industry needs, extensions like .ml could follow a similar trajectory. The key lies in recognizing the evolving landscape and potential shifts in perception. It might be an uphill battle, but it's not unprecedented in the domain world.

Yes but you could say the same about any other obscure extension. There are more preferable ones which don't take off despite their potential.

As for ml. Three things come to mind... Freenom, .mil and .nl. The abbreviation isn't bad per se, but ml is only recognised to mean machine learning for a small number of people (niche).

Ai however has broader meaning and is commonly recognised and used. I can see the appeal in using .ai.

Last edited:
•••
Lets.ml
Ping.ml
Portal.ml
For sale

•••
I had algorithm.ml from freenom don't know what happen to it

•••
I had algorithm.ml from freenom don't know what happen to it
Was it free? I thought Freenom has stopped offering new free domain registrations.

•••
Yes it was free but regardless .ml is dookey and I don’t see it picking up steam.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back