Dynadot

advice How you respond to inbound offers on your domains could help, or hurt you

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Like most people that have been in the domain industry for a while I’m used to getting offers on my domains. Also, like most people that have been in the industry for a while, I’m also used to the fact that most of these offers are going to be well below market or even wholesale value. Heck, I’ve known people who have seen a legitimate $500,000 and $500 offer come in on the same day (for a name they later sold for over $1M).
The truth is, people like doing business with people they like. The person making an offer on your domain might not be someone you’ll ever do business with but a friend of theirs could. You never know who is on the other side of an offer but I’ll tell you this, whether the deal works out or not, I’d much rather make a friend than an enemy...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
In my experience, it’s the would-be buyer who’s usually the person throwing around insults and threats. Of course, that’s counterproductive if they want to purchase someone else’s property and get a good deal, but since when do people behave calmly and rationally?

Konstantinos Zournas just wrote about a case where the domain owner – instead of ignoring a low offer – responded, explained that they were too far apart on price to reach a deal, and advised the buyer to choose another domain for $10. I’ve read the transcript, and the domain owner was quite polite.

Then the frustrated buyer – a lawyer, apparently – replied with sarcasm about the $2000 price range and more than a hint of malice, saying, “I hope you starve”.

That’s a regular occurrence. So I believe it’s important to be firm with buyers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back