Domain Empire

How Would You Respond To This?

Spaceship
Watch
I sent out an email to an end user and I got this. How would you respond and is there a way to make a sale? :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin: Funny people abound.

Hello and thanks for your Email.
Indeed, as the owner of the legally formed company (company name), it would have been nice to have the same domain name. Unfortunately, while creating the digital tools, I realized that someone had already gotten the domain name CompanyName.com.
This is very unfortunate, specially because people like you basically can take advantage of the loopholes of the internet system per se.

It would be nice to have such domain name, but to be honest …….. I don’t need it. I solved my problem otherwise and I have a useful and active domain name. As such, keep it …… and enjoy it.
I only wonder to whom you are going to sell such name. It will be interesting to find out.

He uses the hypenated version Company-Name.com. it is a geo domain name with a service angle and sort of brandable as well.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I sent out an email to an end user and I got this. How would you respond and is there a way to make a sale? :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin: Funny people abound.

Hello and thanks for your Email.
Indeed, as the owner of the legally formed company (company name), it would have been nice to have the same domain name. Unfortunately, while creating the digital tools, I realized that someone had already gotten the domain name CompanyName.com.
This is very unfortunate, specially because people like you basically can take advantage of the loopholes of the internet system per se.

It would be nice to have such domain name, but to be honest …….. I don’t need it. I solved my problem otherwise and I have a useful and active domain name. As such, keep it …… and enjoy it.
I only wonder to whom you are going to sell such name. It will be interesting to find out.

He uses the hypenated version Company-Name.com. it is a geo domain name with a service angle and sort of brandable as well.

A frustrated individual like this one deserves apologies due to actual context, especially when he/she did recognize that time has been spent on searches. How do you translate this: I want to have it, but it's yours and therefore I have to lie to you saying I don't need it anymore? Spending time writing that email signifies that some arguments have to be served, correspondingly. So, negotiation started already.

•••
I think they want the name but they won't admit it. ;)

You should hold it for a few years and see what happens.

-Omar

•••
I shouldn't help here as you always tend to crap on my post. But......let me be the better man here and say.

Do it Rick Schwartz style. offer it to him at the lowest price you can care to sell for. THEN the TWIST ask for Equity. The Big Boys of domaining. this is how they do it.

pitch them on "let's be Partners to make your business the BEST it CAN BE. A nominal fee of $XXXX will seal this PARTNERSHIP. and you can just pay me my 10-20% cut over time."

or you can Lease to them with an option to buy. (Like a test drive). I'm once they start using your domain to their customers and on the net they will realize it's REAL POTENTIAL.

if the deal goes south. then just point it to their competitors. or before you reply back. Point it first to their competitors.

and say "Have you seen where CompanyName.com points to right now?"

I know this is Grimey but it kinda looks bad for you as this might be your only buyer from the looks of it. gotta play hardball.

Or tell them how Snapchat.com rebranded under Snap.com

and how he can buy it now for a Cheap $xxxx or buy it down the road for a TIME Inflated Price and also based on the success of his business.

Snap.com sold to SnapChat.com for $x,xxx,xxx because the buyer was SnapChat. Bigger pockets = bigger price for domain.

Pitch him like this.

"Do you plan to succeed or fail?"
"Succeed yes?"
"why even start something if you don't plan to succeed yes?"
" As your business grows. YOU WILL WANT TO REBRAND to something that looks less AWKWARD to your customers."

But WHEN you become BIG. The price of this domain will go HIGH.

Right now there is no reason for this domain to go higher than $xxxx. and YOU have LEVERAGE. but when you become BIG? Then I as the SELLER has LEVERAGE.

Just look at all domains sold to big companies ever sold. NONE HAVE HYPHENS.

So listen to thee ACTIONS of Multi billion dollar CEO's. None ever choose to buy hyphenated domains as the main domain for their business.

maybe for SEO purposes. Sure hyphenateds have value but for Branding? NO!

hyphens are AWKWARD.
Hyphens. are not legit business domains.

Who would like the SnapChat app if their domain was Snap-Chat.com?
or who would visit Walmart if their domain was Wal-Mart.com?

Face-Book.com?
Ama-zon.com?
Twit-ter.com

Even Big Companies would choose "misspelled" typo words like Tumblr or Flickr to brand their companies under. just to avoid hyphens.

etc etc.

Big business uses NO HYPHENS.

Are you Big Business? or plan to be? do you want to hang with the BIG BOYS or kindergarten.

NOW IS THE BEST TIME TO BUY THIS DOMAIN BEFORE YOU BECOME BIG.
NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY CHEAP.

10 years from now this will be EXPENSIVE.

Buy this domain now and I will give you a BONUS PRESS RELEASE for it's SALE.

This PR will boost this domains value 10 times overnight. it will increase your backlinks and go Viral.

But the purchase price needs to be SIGNIFICANT! like $xx,xxx.

In this scenario. you are NOT PAYING $xx,xxx for a domain. you are PAYING $xx,xxx for FREE VIRAL ADVERTISING via news outlets and social media. Effectively making this domain FREE.

ok that's it. I'm out. Peace!

•••
I'd offer a leasing option as suggested above by Avtar629 at say $5/mo. $60/annually before reg fee is still a great % return and you retain control. We used to call this the "puppy dog close" like letting someone take a dog home for the weekend with high likelihood the children fall in love and no way it would get returned. If you can get him hooked on the real name - who cares if he ever buys it. If he is successful and someday tries to sell - you will have another shot at selling it - this time for bigger money associated with him cashing out.

Last edited:
•••
I shouldn't help here as you always tend to crap on my post. But......let me be the better man here and say.

Do it Rick Schwartz style. offer it to him at the lowest price you can care to sell for. THEN the TWIST ask for Equity. The Big Boys of domaining. this is how they do it.

pitch them on "let's be Partners to make your business the BEST it CAN BE. A nominal fee of $XXXX will seal this PARTNERSHIP. and you can just pay me my 10-20% cut over time."

or you can Lease to them with an option to buy. (Like a test drive). I'm once they start using your domain to their customers and on the net they will realize it's REAL POTENTIAL.

if the deal goes south. then just point it to their competitors. or before you reply back. Point it first to their competitors.

and say "Have you seen where CompanyName.com points to right now?"

I know this is Grimey but it kinda looks bad for you as this might be your only buyer from the looks of it. gotta play hardball.

Or tell them how Snapchat.com rebranded under Snap.com

and how he can buy it now for a Cheap $xxxx or buy it down the road for a TIME Inflated Price and also based on the success of his business.

Snap.com sold to SnapChat.com for $x,xxx,xxx because the buyer was SnapChat. Bigger pockets = bigger price for domain.

Pitch him like this.

"Do you plan to succeed or fail?"
"Succeed yes?"
"why even start something if you don't plan to succeed yes?"
" As your business grows. YOU WILL WANT TO REBRAND to something that looks less AWKWARD to your customers."

But WHEN you become BIG. The price of this domain will go HIGH.

Right now there is no reason for this domain to go higher than $xxxx. and YOU have LEVERAGE. but when you become BIG? Then I as the SELLER has LEVERAGE.

Just look at all domains sold to big companies ever sold. NONE HAVE HYPHENS.

So listen to thee ACTIONS of Multi billion dollar CEO's. None ever choose to buy hyphenated domains as the main domain for their business.

maybe for SEO purposes. Sure hyphenateds have value but for Branding? NO!

hyphens are AWKWARD.
Hyphens. are not legit business domains.

Who would like the SnapChat app if their domain was Snap-Chat.com?
or who would visit Walmart if their domain was Wal-Mart.com?

Face-Book.com?
Ama-zon.com?
Twit-ter.com

Even Big Companies would choose "misspelled" typo words like Tumblr or Flickr to brand their companies under. just to avoid hyphens.

etc etc.

Big business uses NO HYPHENS.

Are you Big Business? or plan to be? do you want to hang with the BIG BOYS or kindergarten.

NOW IS THE BEST TIME TO BUY THIS DOMAIN BEFORE YOU BECOME BIG.
NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY CHEAP.

10 years from now this will be EXPENSIVE.

Buy this domain now and I will give you a BONUS PRESS RELEASE for it's SALE.

This PR will boost this domains value 10 times overnight. it will increase your backlinks and go Viral.

But the purchase price needs to be SIGNIFICANT! like $xx,xxx.

In this scenario. you are NOT PAYING $xx,xxx for a domain. you are PAYING $xx,xxx for FREE VIRAL ADVERTISING via news outlets and social media. Effectively making this domain FREE.

ok that's it. I'm out. Peace!

The first line of your post almost made me choke on my dinner,,, BUAHAHAHAHA... Dude,so you took my words personal? Yay!

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

•••
The first line of your post almost made me choke on my dinner,,, BUAHAHAHAHA... Dude,so you took my words personal? Yay!

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

lol! I have no sense of humor. lol welcome Good luck!

•••
Would not bother responding. Ignorant people will not take advice, trust me I know.

•••
It might be worth to reply his mail explaining that having a dash in domain name is may mislead people when typing the domain name (i have read only in Germany dash version of dot.com is valueable). And close with the offer will be extended for next 7 days, otherwise will be offered to others.

•••
It might be worth to reply his mail explaining that having a dash in domain name is may mislead people when typing the domain name (i have read only in Germany dash version of dot.com is valueable). And close with the offer will be extended for next 7 days, otherwise will be offered to others.
Well, this dude is an American or a resident. Surprising, isn't it? It's a close chapter. He can keep enjoying his hyphenated domain name. You can't force a horse to drink water.

•••
A horse may suddenly die from being too thirsty.

•••
•••
•••
jideofor, check for trademark, develop the name, start getting money on it and send him the link.

•••
In response to his $30 offer.

Unfortunately your out of touch with reality, let's hope it's not to late when and if you do decide to make a fair offer. My time spent corresponding with you alone is worth more than your offer. My intention is not to be rude although I was insulted by your reply. If you do find yourself wanting to make a genuine fair offer please feel free to contact me, otherwise I wish you the best. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
•••
It is a common misconception amongst potential buyers that any domain they are interested in cost the investor $10. While handregs are part of the domain investors toolbox, domains are often backordered, acquired in auction and renewed for years before an interested end user comes along. Meanwhile typical portfolio turnover is around 1 percent meaning that one sale has to cover the renewal of another 99 domains which do not sell. The time spent researching, marketing and administering a domain portfolio requires more than merely recovering one domain's acquisition cost. How much will this domain be worth to your contact if it ends up in the hands of a competitor and potential business is redirected to the competition instead?

•••
It's been my very short experience that some business owners, and even small countries that represent big business are resentful when someone registers a name that they can identify their business with, the response is even more severe from business owners in other countries. For example, I read an article about the middle-east, specifically Arab countries, where the general attitude toward anyone who registered a name identifying their country of business was less than civil. I think specifically the business owners in Dubai referred to aftermarket domainers as "garage sale thiefs" or something tomthat effect. They are deeply resentful of the fact that the ability to purchase, and register just about any domain name by any citizen in the free world. Maybe because the classes of citizens are severely divided is the reason they are not used to the concept of free enterprise.
This response doesn't surprise me. The person sounds like they think you are holding their domain name hostage. Free enterprise people, free enterprise!

•••

Reading between the lines with the name being "sort of brandable" ...

This says that he's using a name that is likely #1 in google for local searches and they have no problem being found. Type-in probably isn't a big deal. They likely have a FB page generating large % of traffic. The web site is likely not their primary source of leads... and if anything is the place that people are specifically looking for (and find).

There is likely not a lot of competitors using the same name so it's not a huge risk to not pay for it. The drop to $250 and an offer of $30 says to me the name it not generically desirable.

Going way out on a limb (could be wrong) but to the point that @Kate always makes. Names with only a handful of end-users are not great investment vehicles.

Not saying this is the case but this is going to be a common scenario where you buy CompanyNameA.com with the sole intent of selling to Company-NameA.com. It's also why front-running is so prevalent.

I reiterate: This is interpreted and extrapolated and may not reflect the actual scenario!

•••
What was the domain by the way?

•••
@Eric Lyon didnt this thread get cleaned up once because these jokers are regurgitating old threads?

•••
It is a common misconception amongst potential buyers that any domain they are interested in cost the investor $10. While handregs are part of the domain investors toolbox, domains are often backordered, acquired in auction and renewed for years before an interested end user comes along. Meanwhile typical portfolio turnover is around 1 percent meaning that one sale has to cover the renewal of another 99 domains which do not sell. The time spent researching, marketing and administering a domain portfolio requires more than merely recovering one domain's acquisition cost. How much will this domain be worth to your contact if it ends up in the hands of a competitor and potential business is redirected to the competition instead?

Now this is the best smart response to a cheap potential buyer. Just needs a bit of tweaking but perfect . Will like to save for future use. Thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back