IT.COM

new gtlds How to use alternative domains for branding

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The digital landscape has evolved over the years to favor a very heavy social and video experience. Consumers have shorter attention spans now more than ever, so it’s a challenge for modern marketers to create fun, memorable brand messages that appeal to audiences in a very quick minute. The average person is bombarded with about 5,000 ads per day, so the question becomes: how do you stand out?
There is no easy answer, but I believe part of the solution lies in creative branding – for example, the use of creative branded domains. Using alternative domains has become one of the hottest industry trends out there in an age where—let’s face it—.COMs have become not only competitive, but downright expensive too (if your .COM is already taken by a 3rd party)! So I often recommend alternative domains to startups building their first websites. Yet, even for the established brand who has a .COM, there is room to strategically add alternative domains. Sure, everybody knows .COM but alternative domains can be memorable, fun, and inspire creativity on your part to expand and consolidate your content.
Alternative-Domains-TLD-branding.jpg

We’re not suggesting that the ONLY thing you have to do is buy a creative domain name in order to stand out from the competition or rank well for a keyword. But our decade of marketing and branding experience tells us that investing in alternative, branded domain names DOES HELP mobilize web traffic down your sales funnel because ultimately it’s what modern consumers want.
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
General article which says if .COM is not available than go for various available ngTLD.

•••
They even recommend using available ngTLD's if you have a .com domain, such as .LIVE, .SOCIAL as name-shorteners, AFAICT. And palm off parts of your website to these shorter domains. Which I don't get, apart from brand protection.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back