IT.COM

strategy How to Find Potential End Users?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi,

Do any of you has regularly sell your domain to end users? If so, do you mind share with me in this thread on how find potential end users for your domain?

Regards,
Sjarief

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another strategy you might consider:

Have them offer that amount on Sedo, and accept it. Send it to auction, then email your other prospects that had expressed an interest and let them know that someone has made an offer on the domain for $xx, but that they still have a chance to acquire it, and give them a link to the auction.

ripley.

•••
ripley said:
Another strategy you might consider:

Have them offer that amount on Sedo, and accept it. Send it to auction, then email your other prospects that had expressed an interest and let them know that someone has made an offer on the domain for $xx, but that they still have a chance to acquire it, and give them a link to the auction.

ripley.
You should tell who will submit Sedo offer that you will send it auction. Otherwise, It's not fair. IMO

•••
EG.domains said:
You should tell who will submit Sedo offer that you will send it auction. Otherwise, It's not fair. IMO

Yes, of course that's a conversation you'd want to have. I merely offered it as a solution, it automates the process and gives transparency to all your prospective buyers (i.e. proof that there's interest from multiple parties). And, naturally, it potentially benefits the seller by exposing the auction to a larger audience.

ripley.

Last edited:
•••
After one week of a concerted effort to sell domains direct to end users, here are my results. I started off with two domains.

Each domain's batch of pitch letters (~25) received one email response within about a day, asking for the price of the domain.

When I mentioned the price (along with the reasons why buying benefitted them), I got no response. (One I pitched higher than I should've, one lower.) Which says to me that they're willing to pay SOMETHING -- just not that. Probably.

Still plugging away -- sent out rounds on two more domains today and working on a third.

How's everyone else doing?

ripley.

•••
Don't neglect to pick up the phone. MUCH high closing rate.

People will delete or archive emails within seconds. If you call at least you have them for a couple minutes.

•••
DomainBuyerBroker said:
Don't neglect to pick up the phone. MUCH high closing rate.

People will delete or archive emails within seconds. If you call at least you have them for a couple minutes.

I'm sure the phone does help, unfortunately I'm usually at work at my day job during regular business hours, so that's less of an option for me. But certainly a preferable option otherwise.

ripley.

•••
UPDATE....

Sold first domain using the methods listed here for $200 sent LOTS of emails though so still not on path for what I want BUT its $200 more then if I did nothing at all.....

On avg so far Im getting 2 replies back from an avg of 25 emails for 1 domain. This does not take in account for out of those 25 emails 3-4 are returned due to the whois info not current anymore.

Have some more domains im goin to send away so will see......

•••
Nattydomain said:
UPDATE....

Sold first domain using the methods listed here for $200 sent LOTS of emails though so still not on path for what I want BUT its $200 more then if I did nothing at all.....

On avg so far Im getting 2 replies back from an avg of 25 emails for 1 domain. This does not take in account for out of those 25 emails 3-4 are returned due to the whois info not current anymore.

Have some more domains im goin to send away so will see......

For those emails that come back undelivered, contact the company by phone

•••
do you guys use escrow to transfering domains to big end-users?

•••
d0main said:
do you guys use escrow to transfering domains to big end-users?
I use Sedo.

•••
When it rains it pours...

The domain I sold for $200 a few days ago im still getting back responses from others on it. Who knows could of got a lot more...And today out of the blue I get an old reply back for a "I will take it at your asking price" and another one from a medium size cable company offering me $1,000 for a so so domain....man these are the days that get you goin 1000% into buying and searhing for domains!

•••
Go man go!

You must be doing something right.

•••
Which domains have you been successful in selling?

Cheers!

ripley.

•••
I've had some luck lately, when the enduser asks for price I listed the benefit of the domain name ( adword and ccp ) and write that I've found a site ( dnsaleprice.com ) where there are a lot of similar sales useful for the deal ( this source can justify better my asking price for a domain name ). Remeber that endusers are not domainers, so in most cases they don't understand the value of a domain name.

last sales: 3 words dot com handregged some weeks ago, 800$

•••
Nullmind,

where did you list your domain name for sale? I thought the price is written together with the domain name. I tried to purchase a domain name from a seller previously. When he replied, the price was about 6 times more than the listed price.

I ignored the seller because of the price which was 6 times higher. However... he emailed more than 5 times and kept reducing the price each time. By the time he emailed me the first and original listed price, I have already purchase another domain name. Timing is always an issue.

•••
Well done you guys whose efforts are paying off. I have just put together a letter which I shall be sending out Monday morning to a number of potential clients for a name which I believe could be very useful to them, in fact I am rather reluctant to sell it but don't have the expertise needed to do it justice by developing a website and marketing it.

I have pasted the letter here, so any comments/suggestions will be very welcome. My thanks go to all those who posted here whose ideas I have borrowed and particularly to Rob at http://searchdomainsforsale.com/why-buy-domain-names.htm

" Dear xxxxx,

I am the owner of the domain xxxxxxx.com. I originally acquired this name with the intention of developing it, as I considered it to be an excellent name for an “off-brand” website which, using the principle of creative domain name marketing, could serve as a dominant information portal on xxxxxx and the various kinds of xxxxxx available.

I now believe, however, that the name has even greater potential for a company directly involved in the xxxxxx sector, consequently I have decided to seek a buyer for the domain name that is directly involved in the industry.

As your company is one of the world leaders in the area of xxxxxx, I thought that you might like to know that this name is now available for purchase.

A domain name such as xxxxxx.com rarely becomes available. It is a powerful keyword domain name that needs no explanation, that is non brand specific, easily retained, emotionally positive and covers the whole of the industry with one simple concept. It could clearly be developed to be a leading industry website that could be aggressively promoted and advertised to become the number one point of reference for potential customers and for the xxxxxx industry in general and would, I believe, give your company a clear competitive edge.

I am actively marketing this domain name and am seeking offers in the region of $xx,xxx. This truly is a unique opportunity to acquire a highly memorable name, as there can obviously be only one xxxxxx.com.

If you believe you may be interested in purchasing this domain name, I would be pleased to discuss the matter with you at your earliest convenience.

I thank you for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Mr. P. Smith "

Last edited:
•••
Very well-crafted letter you got there. One thing I might watch out for is that, from my experience, large company sales directors receive hundreds of e-mails like that one each day. As such, they typically just hit some "save for later" button without reading the letter the moment they observe it's more than a few sentences long. I'd at least mention the domain name you're selling within the first sentence or two, else the receiver's hand might quickly gravitate towards the "mark as spam" button.

That being said, I might be completely wrong, and it could turn out your letter will prove incredibly effective. I'd be curious to hear of peoples' response rates that result from using your template.

•••
Thanks for the suggestion Joshua - I'll take a look to see if I can move it up a bit, but the letter looks better with the actual domain name included and without the xxxxxxs which tend to detract from the immediacy of the effect

•••
Looks and sounds good if you could break it down in 2-3 sentences. I too feel the longer it looks the more of a spam/scam letter it looks like.

I been having good response with the letter Joshua posted with a minor tweak in wording here and there. almost getting back a few respones (wether a no thank you or how much)

Also LOL NEVER NEVER try to sell a domain to a ProLife group...harsh bastards LOL

•••
can someone kindly link to the original letter that joshua posted? I can't seem to find it :)

•••
Im on mobile, so I cant post a link, but Im pretty sure its on page 14 or 15 :)

•••
•••
Still knocking on doors -- sent out about 200 emails for a domain, got about 8 responses saying "no thanks," one price inquiry as yet unanswered.

ripley.

•••
FYI,

I've been following this thread for some time and have tried various emails to endusers. The most effective, by far, is a slightly modified and truncated version of Joshua's email.

Yesterday afternoon I emailed approx. 25 attorney endusers and have already received 4 responses asking for the price of the domain. I am working on my 3rd domain sale this month.

•••
kjwalton said:
FYI,

I've been following this thread for some time and have tried various emails to endusers. The most effective, by far, is a slightly modified and truncated version of Joshua's email.

Yesterday afternoon I emailed approx. 25 attorney endusers and have already received 4 responses asking for the price of the domain. I am working on my 3rd domain sale this month.

Care to share? If so, thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back