NameSilo

How To Calculate my Domain Name’s Value

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

neckozenica

Established Member
Impact
hi,

domain name is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it... how I will check what is my Domain Name’s Value??

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
real value?

You yourself seem to run a server business. The price for your services is clear, but I wonder, what is their true value?

•••
hi, thanks for answers ...

but I'm still confused.... there is no some rule to determining the real value?

there is no such thing as "real value"

•••
I think "real value" actually might exist.. however if it exist you have to know all the related variables + know the future + figure out how to calculate it.. lol.. which is of cause impossible. You basically have to be God to know.

•••
I think "real value" actually might exist.. however if it exist you have to know all the related variables + know the future + figure out how to calculate it.. lol.. which is of cause impossible. You basically have to be God to know.

I'm out

•••
but I'm still confused.... there is no some rule to determining the real value?

rather then ask about "real value", you make it a lot easier asking "how do you figure out asking your prices for domains"

"Price" is very concrete and easy to grasp. "Value" is highly abstract, and truly a mystery :xf.smile:

•••
•••
•••
My best tip is to look at domains actually sold. I list a bunch of tools and sites but nothing compares to real history. Take into account fads trends keywords extensions. You can also ask for an appraisal in the appraisal section of this site.
How long is a piece of string and how bad does someone want it all contribute to price.

•••
"Price" is very concrete and easy to grasp. "Value" is highly abstract, and truly a mystery :xf.smile:

I agree with that, from the perspective where:
some things, like domains may have sentimental value or potential value, above what it may be worth, as is.

imo...

•••
usually if it is hand-regged and you are just getting started and you have no idea what the value is, in 99% of cases it is regfee.

that is why the most profitable strategy if you do not know the value is not to register/buy the name.

in investing, not doing something can be sometimes be very effective.

of course everyone including myself does not do it that way when we start in this biz. Instead we go on a handregging spree and lose a lot of money in the process.

Last edited:
•••
I use GoDaddy to get the estimation first before offering my customers. It works, I usually negotiate around this price and just reduce a bit to please the customer.

•••
My advice in case of not knowing a domain price
Set to MAKE OFFER
and wait... wait....lye down, have a coffe.

Step 1////
1 year or 2year with no offers? Let drop it.

Step 2/////
Still trust in your domain criteria? Wait 1 - 2 year more.still no offers? Drop it.

Then go to step 1- 2 again :)

Coffee and more coffee ;)

•••
I use GoDaddy to get the estimation first before offering my customers. It works, I usually negotiate around this price and just reduce a bit to please the customer.

I'd be catious with external appraisal :cyclops:

•••
I have played a fair amount the last week with GoValue from GoDaddy vs Estibot. I will probably write up a more full analysis somewhere if I get around with it, but thought these perceptions might be helpful.
  1. I agree with those who say that no algorithm based evaluation should be your only source of value information!
  2. Overall, I think GoValue is better than Estibot (I know many will disagree with that). It seems to me that Estibot is inappropriately extreme - it sets many to $0, but others way more than obviously worth.
  3. It is clear that Estibot mainly emphasizes search popularity, while GoValue primarily previous sales in closely similar domain names. Their huge database helps do this fairly well, and in general I find their comparators to be meaningful (Estibot less so).
  4. I find that GoValue tends to over value most domains, so while it is a good starting point, I doubt that you can get what it says (the exception is really high value domains, that may well be undervalued). For example they show almost any meaningful (or even non meaningful!) .com as about $1000 and clearly lots don't sell for that as Namebio reminds us every day!
  5. GoValue also overvalue domains where the name is good, but within new gTLDs GoValue seems to largely ignores the extension. If one extension, like com or net, sold for more than $25k they will make the other extensions, even when not meaningful, as moderately valuable (many hundreds to thousands of dollars). The user needs to evaluate which of these extensions make sense!
  6. Both have biases with respect to extensions. For example Estibot seem much kinder to .top than GoValue do, but some of the newer gTLDs Estibot make even great appropriate words $0. Almost every top I tried in Estibot I feel is way over valued. For example, I own kindness.top, which I like as a name, but I don't think I will get near the $3400 that Estibot list it at.
  7. To some degree both, but especially Estibot, seems clueless with respect to new developments in science and technology. For example CRISPR was the science breakthrough of the year more than two years ago, has huge search volume and lots being written, but enter it in Estibot and it doesn't even interpret the word right - it thinks it is crisp and r as a separate keyword. GoValue does better, making most of the new extensions from $600 to $900 recognizing that CRISPR.com sold for more than $25000. This is just one example, but Estibot is in my opinion almost worthless for new science and tech.
Anyway, I may make a more formal posting with quantitative data, but thought this might be useful. If both list a domain name as almost worthless (GoValue have the lowest category listed as <$100), or if both are consistent in a high value, I would have more confidence.

Best of luck valuing, and especially selling, everyone!

Bob

•••
I have played a fair amount the last week with GoValue from GoDaddy vs Estibot. I will probably write up a more full analysis somewhere if I get around with it, but thought these perceptions might be helpful.
  1. I agree with those who say that no algorithm based evaluation should be your only source of value information!
  2. Overall, I think GoValue is better than Estibot (I know many will disagree with that). It seems to me that Estibot is inappropriately extreme - it sets many to $0, but others way more than obviously worth.
  3. It is clear that Estibot mainly emphasizes search popularity, while GoValue primarily previous sales in closely similar domain names. Their huge database helps do this fairly well, and in general I find their comparators to be meaningful (Estibot less so).
  4. I find that GoValue tends to over value most domains, so while it is a good starting point, I doubt that you can get what it says (the exception is really high value domains, that may well be undervalued). For example they show almost any meaningful (or even non meaningful!) .com as about $1000 and clearly lots don't sell for that as Namebio reminds us every day!
  5. GoValue also overvalue domains where the name is good, but within new gTLDs GoValue seems to largely ignores the extension. If one extension, like com or net, sold for more than $25k they will make the other extensions, even when not meaningful, as moderately valuable (many hundreds to thousands of dollars). The user needs to evaluate which of these extensions make sense!
  6. Both have biases with respect to extensions. For example Estibot seem much kinder to .top than GoValue do, but some of the newer gTLDs Estibot make even great appropriate words $0. Almost every top I tried in Estibot I feel is way over valued. For example, I own kindness.top, which I like as a name, but I don't think I will get near the $3400 that Estibot list it at.
  7. To some degree both, but especially Estibot, seems clueless with respect to new developments in science and technology. For example CRISPR was the science breakthrough of the year more than two years ago, has huge search volume and lots being written, but enter it in Estibot and it doesn't even interpret the word right - it thinks it is crisp and r as a separate keyword. GoValue does better, making most of the new extensions from $600 to $900 recognizing that CRISPR.com sold for more than $25000. This is just one example, but Estibot is in my opinion almost worthless for new science and tech.
Anyway, I may make a more formal posting with quantitative data, but thought this might be useful. If both list a domain name as almost worthless (GoValue have the lowest category listed as <$100), or if both are consistent in a high value, I would have more confidence.

Bob

This is an absolutely fantastic write-up, Bob. I agree with many of the points that you've brought up.

Having to balance between the two tools is evidently a less-than-ideal solution to the problem. However, I think it only goes to show how complex the problem of pricing intangibles like domains really is. Ultimately, experience and knowledge will afford you the opportunity to find the right ballpark - but even then, you don't always get it right.

You have to both value the historical sales + comparables, while also gauging the future value the domains hold. It's a difficult problem, though one that I enjoy exploring, daily.

•••
I find myself agreeing with every post by @Joe Nichols and @DzAH in the thread. You can clearly tell that both of them have educational and/or professional background in the subject to discuss it as experts. And I admire lots of patience they are showing in their desire to share the knowledge.

Thank you both.

•••
Every domain will have value in GoDaddy because they are trying to get you to REGISTER the domain. That's why they have that "Add to Cart" right next to value. Duhh.

There is a pretty big conflict of interest there. If you sell domain registrations then obviously you want to show that every domain has some value above that registration fee.

•••
Every domain will have value in GoDaddy because they are trying to get you to REGISTER the domain. That's why they have that "Add to Cart" right next to value. Duhh.

There is a pretty big conflict of interest there. If you sell domain registrations then obviously you want to show that every domain has some value above that registration fee.

I don't think they show values next to unregistered names, Frank. Just in GD auctions.

•••
It is very simple if you are a programmer :

Code:
FUNCTION GetDomainValue(DOMAIN_NAME dn)
{
    INTEGER CurrentBestOffer = 0;

FOR_EACH (Individual I on Earth)
    {
        INTEGER  ThisOffer = ASK_WHAT_IS_YOUR_BEST_OFFER(I, dn);
        VERIFY_TRUTH(I, dn, ThisOffer);
        IF (ThisOffer > CurrentBestOffer) THEN CurrentBestOffer = ThisOffer;
    }

RETURN CurrentBestOffer;
}

Thanks for a good laugh. It's funny because it's true.

•••

Bob

It is true that Estibot oe valuate.com are bad, but check Govalue prices have not sense, here an example :
healtyspace.com value in $1225 vs

healthyspace.com sold in $4,000

------

With 2 of my domains. check this.

DOT CO VS DOT COM SALES.

promed in dot co value in $952 ------------ telemar dot co value un $100

vs

promed dot com sold in $17k --------------- Telemar dot com sold in $16K

have no sense

•••
I don't think they show values next to unregistered names, Frank. Just in GD auctions.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean @Joe Nichols , but the GoValue beta at GoDaddy will evaluate and provide a value for any domain name, whether it is currently registered or available.

Bob

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back