IT.COM

question How they know about my newly registrated domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lanti

Impact
Hi!

I'm new on this forum. I'm started to selling a few domains, but now I only interested from a website owner perspective.

A few days ago I registered a new domain for my future web blog and I got a spam where someone offering web development services. My question is, how they do it?

When I searching available domains to buy, I use my own algorithm, which is a basic bash script that returns "available" or "taken" to the command line. But to know what are the freshly registered domains, you have to query the data from the whois record somehow. Possible solution is using regex for this task also, but copy out the matched line, not just matching is it presented there or not?

But this is still not answering how they know about the new regs? They always buy the ENTIRE database from whois institutions like ICANN!? Probably not carrying through every LL, LLL, LLLL, LLLLL, LLLLLL (this one needs a supercomputer...) records, because even if it's just .com, this can take a lot of time (unfortunetly I know...). My domain name count is 12 letters. I think there's no way that someone querying whois data in a size like this!??? So probably someone sending them the new regs from official databases like ICANN. BUT, these spammers are not look like a company to me who can afford that. These are low level one person freelancer companies. So probably has to be a "middle man" in the process, a company who often querying the whois databases and sending the new regs to their customers.

What are your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Was wondering that myself. Every day I get emails about web development companies, one called my phone! Or bunch of emails that they added "the" in front of my domain or added 1-2 letters and trying to sell it to me. I don't mind that much if it was logical suggestions, but its really not. its pure nonsense. Guaranteed SPAM. They must have access to a whois database that keeps updating their system and I'm sure it's automated messages.

•••
Anybody can see the new registrations in global extensions like .com. Some sites have lists and you can also apply for zone file access and compile your own. New registrations are not stealth/secret.

•••
They definitely have access to whois database, i receive 20-30 such spam emails every day even with a strong filter.

•••
FOR INFORMATION PURPOSE ONLY

Got a mail today... and surprise: http://www.spiralbig.com/

This son of a gun is providing all the data of a newly registered domain for premium price... lol

I guess it is high time we start thinking about free privacy for domains. Some security improvement should be brought about the public who.is database. I really hate receiving 10mails a day and 4calls a weeks by random hosting and development people :/

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back