Dynadot

How Reliable is Estibot Valuation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Haroon Basha

Service.xyzTop Member
Impact
Please share your views on the following Estibot valuation:

I recently bought a 4 Letter dot com domain named EFZG.COM, I wanted to have it estimated in Estibot.beta. The result bewildered me (may be it it true value?). It says the value of EFZG.COM is $ 40,000.
Please see the following proof:
efzg.JPG

COMPARABLE DOMAIN SALES

Domain Price Date
orbs.com $50,000 2018-01-23
mild.com $45,200 2017-12-19
toll.com $50,000 2017-12-05
smil.com $30,000 2017-02-17
oboz.com $30,000 2017-03-17

I REQUEST you all to give me your true valuation for this domain name.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First Rule of domaining: Never use Estibot

•••
•••
Estibot is useless.

Their appraisal have no value in real market.

•••
If Esibot was reliable we would all be millionaires

•••

You can use it to motivate potential buyers by showing it to them :D
Or
When you are feeling bad about your investment. You can look at estibot $$$to elevate your mood :D

Last edited:
•••
•••
GoDaddy Valuation says $1,808 - and uses these comparables:

elzg.com$750
ebzg.com $245
ecjg.com $2,111

(and more)

efcp.com
Sold for $1,500
efzu.com
Sold for $498
ebsg.com
Sold for $1,788
efxl.com
Sold for $1,250
ezbg.com
Sold for $2,399
erzw.com
Sold for $1,095
efsb.com
Sold for $1,000

•••
•••
If you want to know the amount of end user demand in a domain...don't bother with estibot...it's all about the comps+tlds taken. More comps+tlds taken...the more premium the name imho.

•••
I pass all the domains from my daily lists through Estibot .. it's a great tool for getting search data and other info. As for the actual estimated value .. it's still helpful .. but you absolutely need to take it with a grain of salt and be smart enough to know it's impossible for even a complex algorithm to fully understand the intricate complexity of language and keywords/terms and how they apply to end user demand for domains.

You also need to be particularly aware that it's virtually impossible for an algorithm to ever grasp the concept of a made up brandable. All things considered it does do an impressive job sometimes at guesstimating .. but you shouldn't be using estibot for that reason.

Where Estibot shines is relativity. Meaning that if you have a bunch of similar type names that give a certain value .. then you have another domain much higher or lower it sends a red flag for you to manually do a quick google check or something to see if you missed something good about it .. or on the other side if it spits out a $0 value it can often save you from buying a typo.

Seriously .. Estibot is a fantastic tool if you're realistic with what is actually possible and know how to use it .. and most certainly that is not the case when people just use it for one random domain (particularly brandables) and only look at the "Estimated value" .. there is a ton of useful data that comes with Estibot .. and it's an absolutely fantastic tool .. particularly if you understand what is and isn't logically possible to estimate when it comes to algorithms and how they could ever pertain to domains.

In this specific case it might have associated the acronym with "Ekonomski Fakultet Zagreb (Croatian: Faculty of Economics Zagreb;)"
Which as an END USER in education and economics could certainly have that value to them. (I wouldn't bet on it .. but again .. I used that number as a red flag to go check for more info .. Estibot DID it's job)

It's important to see that the number that Estibot pops out is END USER pricing .. which for 4L .com's actually often can be in or near the 5 figure mark .. all those $xxx and low $xxxx comparables are mostly wholesale and auction pricing or even retail BIN pricing where the domain was priced to sell. If you download the full Estibot report it will also give a "wholesale value estimation" much smaller than that big number.

After everything above domainers also need to wake up to the fact that the biggest factor significantly more than anything else when it comes to domaining is LUCK .. pure and simple. Even the best domainers only sell a tiny fraction of their domains a year ... then add to that fact that maybe all a potential buyer has to spend is $5000 when the domain is clearly worth more .. and on the opposite side maybe a potential buyer is willing to spend way more than a domain is worth if faced with a particularly stubborn domainer. Where Estibot can truly help is helping you figure out domains relative to one an other .. and combined with very essential good judgement .. can maybe help you take your sales rate up from 2% to 2.5% .. or 3% to 4% .. and even more importantly .. it can often help you avoid domains that you shouldn't buy .. which can be very valuable in the long term.

Last edited:
•••
If Croatia is anything like Poland, national domain extension is much more valuable than .com. So if they already have .hr, they don't need your .com.

Also, a public university would never approve spending money on a domain name. Maybe $100-200, but no way they'd spend any big money, ESPECIALLY for a separate domain name for a single faculty whereas it has 29 faculties.

To sum up: I wouldn't link any hopes to University of Zagreb being your end customer.

•••
I was starting to compose a long post about Estibot, but then saw that @Ategy.com made almost all the points I was going to in his great response above, so I will keep this short!

Estibot and GoValue both have biases, but I think it is at our peril to ignore them as some have suggested. They provide an independent view of worth, that we should couple with our own analysis, other domainer opinions, other non-domainer opinions, and an analysis of comparable sales using Namebio and other sources.

Even if you don't like Estibot or GoValue, others will use them, and it is important to know the values for your portfolio. I would also say that despite the weaknesses and biases, they are far better than any of the other alternatives.

To @Haroon Basha OP, I am not an expert in short .com. From the comparable sales you list, it strikes me as order of magnitude correct, although in general you need to take maybe 1/2 of an Estibot or GoValue estimate to get what a domain name might really sell for. Good luck with it!

•••
I pass all the domains from my daily lists through Estibot .. it's a great tool for getting search data and other info. As for the actual estimated value .. it's still helpful .. but you absolutely need to take it with a grain of salt and be smart enough to know it's impossible for even a complex algorithm to fully understand the intricate complexity of language and keywords/terms and how they apply to end user demand for domains.

You also need to be particularly aware that it's virtually impossible for an algorithm to ever grasp the concept of a made up brandable. All things considered it does do an impressive job sometimes at guesstimating .. but you shouldn't be using estibot for that reason.

Where Estibot shines is relativity. Meaning that if you have a bunch of similar type names that give a certain value .. then you have another domain much higher or lower it sends a red flag for you to manually do a quick google check or something to see if you missed something good about it .. or on the other side if it spits out a $0 value it can often save you from buying a typo.

Seriously .. Estibot is a fantastic tool if you're realistic with what is actually possible and know how to use it .. and most certainly that is not the case when people just use it for one random domain (particularly brandables) and only look at the "Estimated value" .. there is a ton of useful data that comes with Estibot .. and it's an absolutely fantastic tool .. particularly if you understand what is and isn't logically possible to estimate when it comes to algorithms and how they could ever pertain to domains.

In this specific case it might have associated the acronym with "Ekonomski Fakultet Zagreb (Croatian: Faculty of Economics Zagreb;)"
Which as an END USER in education and economics could certainly have that value to them. (I wouldn't bet on it .. but again .. I used that number as a red flag to go check for more info .. Estibot DID it's job)

It's important to see that the number that Estibot pops out is END USER pricing .. which for 4L .com's actually often can be in or near the 5 figure mark .. all those $xxx and low $xxxx comparables are mostly wholesale and auction pricing or even retail BIN pricing where the domain was priced to sell. If you download the full Estibot report it will also give a "wholesale value estimation" much smaller than that big number.

After everything above domainers also need to wake up to the fact that the biggest factor significantly more than anything else when it comes to domaining is LUCK .. pure and simple. Even the best domainers only sell a tiny fraction of their domains a year ... then add to that fact that maybe all a potential buyer has to spend is $5000 when the domain is clearly worth more .. and on the opposite side maybe a potential buyer is willing to spend way more than a domain is worth if faced with a particularly stubborn domainer. Where Estibot can truly help is helping you figure out domains relative to one an other .. and combined with very essential good judgement .. can maybe help you take your sales rate up from 2% to 2.5% .. or 3% to 4% .. and even more importantly .. it can often help you avoid domains that you shouldn't buy .. which can be very valuable in the long term.

Thank you very much for your detailed post with regard to Estibot valuations. Your information is indeed very helpful and I too emphasis that Estibot tool cannot be avoided by domainers. Excellent post. Thank you very much.

•••
I was starting to compose a long post about Estibot, but then saw that @Ategy.com made almost all the points I was going to in his great response above, so I will keep this short!

Estibot and GoValue both have biases, but I think it is at our peril to ignore them as some have suggested. They provide an independent view of worth, that we should couple with our own analysis, other domainer opinions, other non-domainer opinions, and an analysis of comparable sales using Namebio and other sources.

Even if you don't like Estibot or GoValue, others will use them, and it is important to know the values for your portfolio. I would also say that despite the weaknesses and biases, they are far better than any of the other alternatives.

To @Haroon Basha OP, I am not an expert in short .com. From the comparable sales you list, it strikes me as order of magnitude correct, although in general you need to take maybe 1/2 of an Estibot or GoValue estimate to get what a domain name might really sell for. Good luck with it!

Yes, you are right again one cannot ignore it. It is doing a great job in seconds that we cannot do in hours or days. Thank you very much.

•••
Bah! All my Estibot valuations have been right on the money. Thanks Mom!

•••

Not only Estibot but none of the Robotic Appraisal sites..For valuation atleast..other features are good though..

Last edited:
•••
I used to use Estibot for appraisals and their CPC, until I realized they appraise a lot of the names based only on previous sales.

ex. I saw a name on an expired auction recently that was appraised for $XX,XXX on Estibot. The exact same amount it sold for a few years back. The name was bought for $XXX in the auction and now the Estibot appraisal is $XXX.

I think Peter Griffin could give me better appraisals than Estibot..

Meg & Chris too..

•••
Although GD appraisals aren't that much better in terms of accuracy, I actually tend to agree more with their appraisals and price range than any other current websites.

•••
I used to use Estibot for appraisals and their CPC, until I realized they appraise a lot of the names based only on previous sales.

ex. I saw a name on an expired auction recently that was appraised for $XX,XXX on Estibot. The exact same amount it sold for a few years back. The name was bought for $XXX in the auction and now the Estibot appraisal is $XXX.

Meg & Chris too..

Correct..the valuations are totally based on the sales data...after the sale is made they update the value in the system..before sale the amount shows less than $10 sometimes and even 0 but if the sale is made for $xxxxxx then the system shows the similar amount..

Even now if you appraise for some of the niche Crypto Currency domains the system appraises them 0$ because their system is not quickly adaptable to the modern technology changes and its rapid demand..

•••

Meg & Chris too..

I agree, Eszter Hazai did an analysis to show that happens exactly with Estibot (but not always). They (sometimes) adjust values to what they sold for. Now there is logic in doing this, but it means that a domain name may take a huge jump in value. I don't agree though that their values are based only on this (whether word in dictionary, and search stats and advert prices important too, along with how many extensions taken). Anyway, here is the data she uses to make the point, and link to article below.
EstibotStats.jpg

http://domain.tips/inclusion-of-sales-price-in-estibot-and-its-effect-on-appraisal/

•••
I think the best bet is to make an educated estimate based on similar name sales, market trends, and your end goal for the domain in question (like whether you want to sell it immediately for quick cash or whether you want to sit on it and sell it for top dollar)

Does anyone know how accurate or updated the CPC and monthly views are on Estibot?

•••
Does anyone know how accurate or updated the CPC and monthly views are on Estibot?

The new beta form of Estibot actually has dates if you slide along the graphs (at least for domains that have them). These seem to be right up to including the current day. So search data at least seems very up to date. Their sales data also seems in the beta Estibot to be very current - I noticed they showed sales from the day before I was looking in one case (and not major sales that might get fast-tracked).

•••
One thing I have noticed in the Estibot beta is they have incorrect information on what domains are available. I have encountered this multiple times where they say the .com is available, and therefore make the value very low on other extensions, even though it clearly is not. One example search for brains in some extension. It tells you the .com is available to hand register (it is not). If this was the only case it would not be serious, but it seems to have errors about 1/5 or so of the time. I am not sure how this arises, but they really need to look into it. Is anyone from Estibot management on NPs?

•••
So all of the above being said about Estibot and GoDaddy not being that much accurate etc, are there any other domain appraisal site, software or even a plugin that you guys would recommend better or more accurate than them or are they( Estibot& GoDaddy) the only ones available out there?
Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back