domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
how rare is your domain?

I always thought, that my domain
lotta.org was more rare .....

upload_2020-6-2_10-46-31.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Every domain is rare - they are one of a kind after all 🤔

Last edited:
•••
I own Rarer.com so I think it's definitely rarer than other domains... ;)

•••
Rare as the more letter combinations and length add to rarity it will never be found again.

•••
I don't know about anyone else, but all of my domains are 'rare as hens teeth' one-of-a-kind :xf.cool:

•••
I own Rarer.com so I think it's definitely rarer than other domains... ;)
Good point! (y)

However, I see that someone, not me, is currently selling rarest in .com, which is surely more rare than rarer!

But would the most rare be rarest in the TLD with fewest registrations? The word rarest is registered in 20 TLDs but I did not delve into which TLD rarest.

Bob

•••
Good point! (y)

However, I see that someone, not me, is currently selling rarest in .com, which is surely more rare than rarer!

But would the most rare be rarest in the TLD with fewest registrations? The word rarest is registered in 20 TLDs but I did not delve into which TLD rarest.

Bob
Would single letter .coms be the rarest? Or is there a rarer category?

•••
Would single letter .coms be the rarest? Or is there a rarer category?

Single number dot coms - there are only ten of them

•••
Single number dot coms - there are only ten of them
But only a few single .coms are available or in use :xf.smile:

Edit - cant remember how many, but Less than 10

Last edited:
•••
But only a few single .coms are available or in use :xf.smile:

Edit - cant remember how many, but Less than 10

Yeah I just tried a few and nothing. I imagine they were reserved for something at the outset.
Anyone?

•••
Yeah I just tried a few and nothing. I imagine they were reserved for something at the outset.
Anyone?
Just checked....Only 5

Last edited:
•••
•••
guys
in case your are not aware:

domains were created
because they are unique

there is no way to make that more unique

not even a little bit

Last edited:
•••
guys
in case your are not aware:

domains were created
because they are unique

there is no way to make that more unique

not even a little bit
Agree each domain is unique, might of gone off topic with which category is the rarest....sorry about that

Last edited:
•••
Sorry Frank.
Back on track :)

Last edited:
•••
If we could just make this thread about 'Me' again I would argue that the following is rare...

mememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememe.me

There are not many longer domain names that can contain the word 'Me' in either the domain name or the extension so if I decide to keep this domain forever no amount of money can buy a domain name that contains more words containing the word 'Me'.

Is it a good name? You decide. Is it rare? Absolutely.

•••
•••
•••
I think .arpa domains are pretty rare. Also .int. Not sure which ones are rarer.

•••
why am i saying rarer now? hmmmmm

•••
In stamp collecting they have a categorization system which not only applies to stamps but also for the cancellations that were put across stamps to clearly show that they had been used. if we take the Penny Red stamp we can see that 21 billion stamps were printed over time. Therefore in themselves Penny Reds are not rare but if you have one that was cancelled by a unique post office, maybe one that was only in existence for a short while they would be more rare.

The categorization for the cancellation marks are as follows:-

A - Abundant
B - Very common
C - Common
D - Less common
E - Scarce
F - Very scarce
G - Rare
H - Very rare

Maybe this is something that could easily be adopted for domain names but it would take someone far more experienced than me to set it in motion.

If there were a limited number of single letter dot.coms issued then there may be 5, 6 or 10 so does that make them more rare than a domain name that can be totally unique and one that is 1 of 1.

•••
•••
I have the most rare name S--E--X in King. why it's rare? because you can't register more than double hyphens. triple hyphens unavailable on registry side.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Anyone?
Yes they started a policy in1993 not to release more but grandfather those already released "Q, X and Z in .com, I, Q in .net and X in .org were already assigned at the time the policy came into force in 1993." I think as mentioned a couple more have been added, and a big block of single character .org were bought by Braden P and now potentially available. See A Look at Single-Character Domain Names including some additions in the comments section.
Bob

•••
Back