IT.COM

Sold the domain which is going to expire

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Galaxy Traveller

Established Member
Impact
There are times you sold a domain which you kept in your not renewal list. Though it is rare but how you feel? For me it creates doubt about my not renewal list.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you be a bit clearer?

•••
I have 2 lists. One is I will renew and will not renew. Not renewal list is very confusing for me, if domain(s) sold from the list or receive offer.

•••
I have 2 lists. One is I will renew and will not renew. Not renewal list is very confusing for me, if domain(s) sold from the list or receive offer.

The problem is if the negotiation lasts beyond the expiration date...

•••

For me it casts doubt on my judgement. But if it's a rare occurrence then I'd just live with knowing your list will never be 100% perfect.

•••
There are times you sold a domain which you kept in your not renewal list. Though it is rare but how you feel? For me it creates doubt about my not renewal list.
I can relate..especially when you come across your domain a few month later sold for a high price...
Two things, I try to keep in mind when it comes to my portfolio,
(1) Stick tomy budget.
(2) Don't fall in "love" with my domains!
Business is busine$$

•••
(2) Don't fall in "love" with my domains!

I think this is the most important thing I've learned buying/selling domains (or anything for that matter). Always be ready to sell and/or let it go if it's not going to sell.
A few years ago I had a domain that I thought were INCREDIBLE and couldn't believe nobody wanted to buy it. It occurred to me after some that I was probably the only one who liked it. :xf.laugh:

•••
its rare. but happens.

I sold 2-4 domains already expired... say under -30 days old

and I once sold domain -50 days. which I paid $100 to recover.. from domain.com
still worth the bother.. it was like a $300 sale.

anything can happen... in domaining hahah

that being said.. I also got... and this in last 30 days... 2 offers of 400-500$ on two domains which I let expire in 2017. the makeoffer listings remained on afternic.. so someone made offers.

now THAT hurts. $1000 gone. just like that :)

Last edited:
•••

My top 3 skill sets for a good domainer....

1. Knows what to buy or register
2. Knows when to take the deal
3. Knows when to drop a domain

You are asking about #3

Welcome to the world of domaining, even the best in the business have made mistakes in all 3. The trick is to gain the experience to make more of the correct decisions and the mistakes will be a wash.

Wash, rinse, repeat...... eventually you will have a nice portfolio (y)

•••
that being said.. I also got... and this in last 30 days... 2 offers of 400-500$ on two domains which I let expire in 2017. the makeoffer listings remained on afternic.. so someone made offers.

now THAT hurts. $1000 gone. just like that :)

Aw man.. No chance they were still available to hand reg I guess? (n)

•••
•••
Aw man.. No chance they were still available to hand reg I guess? (n)
Methinks he would have, had they been. ;)

Though it is rare but how you feel?
You'd have to have an unlimited supply of funds to completely cover all your bases. Know when to hold em', know when to fold em'. If you fold, and it would have won, just move on. There's always another hand to play. That's what makes life life. If we knew what was going to happen may as well be a robot.

•••
Methinks he would have, had they been. ;)

You'd have to have an unlimited supply of funds to completely cover all your bases. Know when to hold em', know when to fold em'. If you fold, and it would have won, just move on. There's always another hand to play. That's what makes life life. If we knew what was going to happen may as well be a robot.

thats true
the nice thing about domaining is that opportuities are virtually limitless.. you can't say this about many other investment venues

still.. we would also be robot like if it left us without any emotion to get a 1k offer on a domain we dropped few months ago.. and forgot to remove from afternic :)

cheers

•••
its rare. but happens.

anything can happen... in domaining hahah

2 offers of 400-500$ on two domains which I let expire in 2017.

Never know when an enduser's going to come knocking, thats for sure. Come renewal time and you need to trim..theres always that "what if.."

Amazing how someone would get into a binding offer on an expired name, without first checking its whois.

•••
still.. we would also be robot like if it left us without any emotion to get a 1k offer on a domain we dropped few months ago.. and forgot to remove from afternic :)

cheers
Yeah, I hear ya, that would hurt.

•••
thats true
the nice thing about domaining is that opportuities are virtually limitless.. you can't say this about many other investment venues

cheers

Yes almost all the time it is Afternic.

•••
I think end users buy from Afternic which is the reason my calculation fail. I think that kind of sales are directly from end users (not domainers).

Last edited:
•••
Though it is rare but how you feel?

My domain recently sold for 288$ on afternic that I let expire.

It was sold exactly on 39th day after expiry. I paid renewal of 14$ on bigrock and the domain was transferred away 10 mins after renewal and I got paid a few days back.

Normally, I remove domains from marketplaces near expiry date. But I missed a few for the first time. It was a lucky mistake.

To my surprise it was a 200$ gift. It felt gr8.

Last edited:
•••
I've got some names that have just expired. I've renewed hald a dozen of them. Maybe I should list the others here.

•••
I've got some names that have just expired. I've renewed hald a dozen of them. Maybe I should list the others here.

That's exactly what I do :)

•••
I looked in the name silo market place, and they are asking $50 for them - no offers yet though.

•••
I hand reg an expired/dropped domain name in the new extension on February 9, under $4 @Uniregistry and sold it through direct inquiry from a broker, then Escrow for $5,000 USD all under a month.

•••
Sometimes the fact that the domain is at near or shortly after expiry is what attracts the buyer because there's a chance the seller is finally ready to let go of it at low price.

Buyers want domains for various reasons and sellers also sell (or let expire) for various reasons, so no, it doesn't make me doubt my 'do not renew' list.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back