Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 1, 2026.

How often do you reinstall Windows on your machine?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

trsaso

VIP Member
Impact
73
Hi everyone,

Just a question out there for you: How often do you reinstall windows on your computer? I would like to know if I am the only one that reinstalls it every 6 months to 1 year. Please post and let me know.

Thanks
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
yes

i usually reinstall my windows every 4 months, actually i like proper stability and speed, so format and reinstall always help!
 
0
•••
never, I have windows running in a VM when I need it, when it gets crappy I just revert to a snapshot
 
0
•••
Once every few months. After a while, all my DLL files seem to break, and reinstalling is the only option...
 
0
•••
never... once done by Dell runned smooth eversince... even after 2 years
 
0
•••
I make it a habit to backup everything and reformat once a year.
 
0
•••
every 4-5months, very hard to do tho, considering i have to tap my router in and that takes forever. :|
 
0
•••
Never. I have too much crap and it would be a pain to back everything up.
 
0
•••
I think I'm the one of the few who has kept my home computer's Windows OS unchanged for 3-4 years. The main reason is I don't have the time to backup everything, rather buy a new computer when I have the chance ;) Systems get outdated so quickly these days, it's hard to keep up!
 
0
•••
i usualy reinstall windows when it crashes or it cant boot up :D otherwise maybe every year or so
 
0
•••
Usually about every 6 months depending on how the pc is running.
 
0
•••
I use Norton Ghost (for DOS) to make an image of partition which has OS installed. Then I just expand this image everytime I saw there could be something wrong with system or after install a new software which I don't like.
I can say every 2 months.
 
0
•••
Haven't reformmated for 3 years...too lazy.
 
0
•••
I don't write down when I'm going to reformat -- I don't plan them. When something happens or something breaks, then I reformat. It's been almost a year since my last reformat, if I'm not mistaken. Before that, I've used the installed OS since 2002.
 
0
•••
XP has reduced the need for me to do that. Before XP I would do a reinstall every 6 months or so. Now I find the cleanup tools can work very well simply within XP. The uninstalls and msconfig can do wonders. I did get a new drive last year so I did a fresh install then.
 
0
•••
About every 6 months for me as well. It's a pain to get all the updates back though. :p
 
0
•••
Did re-installation about 2 times in the past ten years. Normally just upgrade to a newer version.
 
0
•••
never... am i supposed to? (oops!!)
 
0
•••
I don't see why you should have to reinstall, unless the system drive crashes or similar.
I've never had to, and I run *a lot* of applications on my computers, and use 3-4 systems at the same time, mostly working with software development of different kinds.
I just make sure I know what I install and how and where I do it, and the system will stay stable for the life of the computer.
 
0
•••
gorlov said:
I don't see why you should have to reinstall
My harddrive has some corrupted sectors, and windows likes to randomly try and move dll files into them - resulting in blue screen of death and the inability to boot windows without a reinstall.
 
0
•••
CatchedCatched

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back