IT.COM

How much do you typically sell your domains for?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

morf13

Top Member
Impact
I'm relatively new to domaining, and I am curious, what do people here try and get for a domain, especially if it has a good estibot value?

If I spent $10 or $15 to get a domain, and it was worth(according to estibot)$1000-$1500, what should I expect to try and get, and what would you try and get?

A few examples of domains I have, that I think sound like good ones, and have good estimates on Estibot:

pug2 $1000 Estibot Value
z508.com $1600 "
powerfulblog.com $900 "
wordand.com $1000 "
dictionaryhelp.com $1000 "
kisslesbians.com $1800 "

I look forward to seeing some opinions.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
estibot is not human, therefore it cannot evaluate domains

do not purchase any domains, based solely on it's findings.

•••
Judging by your regs, you're not relatively new to domaining, you're brand new. Which is of course totally fine. Anyway, back to the drawing board. NamePros is a great resource for learning about domain names. Spend a little time reading it before buying more domains.

•••
I'm relatively new to domaining, and I am curious, what do people here try and get for a domain, especially if it has a good estibot value?

If I spent $10 or $15 to get a domain, and it was worth(according to estibot)$1000-$1500, what should I expect to try and get, and what would you try and get?

A few examples of domains I have, that I think sound like good ones, and have good estimates on Estibot:

pug2 $1000 Estibot Value
z508.com $1600 "
powerfulblog.com $900 "
wordand.com $1000 "
dictionaryhelp.com $1000 "
kisslesbians.com $1800 "

I look forward to seeing some opinions.

Some questions you want to ask yourself before making a purchase:

1) Does the domain make sense ( eg what does "wordand " mean?) ?

2) What kind of business would buy my domain?

3) How many existing businesses can I identify that would derive an obvious benefit from purchasing my domain?

4) Is there any evidence that end users are using comparable domains for their businesses?

5) Is there any evidence that end users have purchased comparable domains in the aftermarket and spent good money on them?

6) Is the domain I'm offering unique or can something equivalent be readily found ( eg why would someone spend $1000 for pug2, if pug1 is unregistered and available to purchase for $8 )?

There's more you could look at but that's a good place to start.

As far as estibot, the dollar figures they attach to domains are pretty close to meaningless. Don't waste your time using it to assess value. Unfortunately, there's really no way to get around the fact that you're going to have to learn to appraise domains for yourself.

Good luck to you.

•••
Thanks for the replies. I definitely want to do some reading here and learn some stuff. The reason I used the Estibot value, is because after reading many sites and opinions, it seems to be the most commonly mentioned or used appraisal site. I also have read that many of these appraisals are worthless.

But, for example, dictionaryhelp.com seems like that could be a good one, based on the value of dictionary.com.

A couple questions still, if you invest $10-$15 in a domain, what do you try to sell them for?

•••
Use coupon codes to save you some money on regs. You could get those for 99 cents.

•••
Estibot is not that bad to be honest but you should use it in appraising descriptive domain names (e.g. bars.com, bananas.com, etc.) and not brandable names (e.g. flyhigh.com, bestcomputerintheworld.com).

To answer your second question, it really depends on my mood and financial need. If I want a fast flip I'd be happy to turn a $10-15 investment into $50-60$ in less than a week.

•••
A couple questions still, if you invest $10-$15 in a domain, what do you try to sell them for?

1-10k is my sweet spot. If I don't think a business would pay 1k+ I generally don't own it.

•••
Low $XXX sales are more common than high $xxx sales which are more common than low $XXXX sales. In eight years sales over $1500 have been rare (even though a store in a shopping center with customers in a max 3-5 mile radius will pay more that monthly to lease their space).

•••
You should always aim high, but if you can turn $1.99 (with GoDaddy coupon) into $300-500 frequently, it would make the wait for the four or five figure sales more bearable.

•••
For many years my goal was to sell a name for 20x what I got it for.

Routinely I would buy them for under $20 in the Closeout section of Godaddy and then aim to sell them for around $400, with a fairly high volume of turnover.

As I learned more, I invested more of the profits into higher class names where the sales brought a higher $ amount rather than a specific multiple of the purchase price.

As always the key is to getting names that someone actually wants and which will be useful for their business :)

•••
•••
But, for example, dictionaryhelp.com seems like that could be a good one, based on the value of dictionary.com.

No offense, but you're going to be wasting a lot of money if you continue to think in these simple terms. Picking out good domains requires more thought than just choosing a phrase that includes a valuable word. I've provided you with some suggestions above on how to evaluate domains, and if we apply even one of those concepts here, we quickly realize that this is going to be a tough sell simply because you're going to have a difficult time justifying your price when dictionaryaid.com is available to register for just 8 bucks. "Aid" was the first synonym for "help" that popped into my head and the only one I looked up. There are probably a lot more...

I'm also having a problem figuring out what sort of business could be built around this domain. To me "dictionary help" means help with using a dictionary. What does it mean to you? Anyhow, I might be wrong, but I'm having a tough time imagining that there are tons of people out there struggling to figure out how to use a dictionary and clamoring for a site to help them with this problem.

•••
I'm also having a problem figuring out what sort of business could be built around this domain. To me "dictionary help" means help with using a dictionary. What does it mean to you? Anyhow, I might be wrong, but I'm having a tough time imagining that there are tons of people out there struggling to figure out how to use a dictionary and clamoring for a site to help them with this problem.

disco expresses sound reasoning, OP should heed this advice.

imo...

•••
You should always aim high, but if you can turn $1.99 (with GoDaddy coupon) into $300-500 frequently, it would make the wait for the four or five figure sales more bearable.

Thanks for all the replies I will do some more research and reading.

RE: this Godaddy coupon, I know of a lot of promo code sites that will likely have this coupon code, but a couple questions about the coupon itself if you don't mind,
1) Is it only for a single domain or as many as you want?
2) Do you get the $1.99 price ONLY if you agree to a hosting plan with them?

Thanks again Everybody

•••
those $1.99 coupons can get a newbie in trouble real fast

why?

selectivity is lost, as you may only see it as a small expenditure when registering at that price.

but come renewal time it will look quite differently.

2014 went by real fast, expect 2015 to be a blur.

:)

imo....

•••
Back