Top Bottom
Dan.com

discuss How much did you start domaining with?

NameSilo

How much did you start domaining with?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • < $500

votes
    64.9%
  • $500 - $1500

votes
    13.4%
  • $1500 - $5,000

votes
    8.2%
  • $5,000 - $10,000

votes
    5.2%
  • $10,000+

votes
    8.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I started with 10K around July 2020, and wasted most of it on crappy hand reg and overpriced auctions.
Had a surprise sales of around 10K in Nov/Dec 2021 combined, and this was when I didn't want to invest any more money. So it came as a blessing. I spent that 10K plus another 5 K in the next couple months on fresh buying which set the path for my current domaining business.

So my out of Pocket was around 15K. And just to make sure I play with house money, I took out 15K from my domaining business account, and I have another 20K in reserve which I plan to continue to grow so that I can acquire a nice one word .com. All these generated from my sales.

Last edited:

J.R.

Established Member
Impact
I started with 10K around July 2020, and wasted most of it on crappy hand reg and overpriced auctions.
Had a surprise sales of around 10K in Nov/Dec 2021 combined, and this was when I didn't want to invest any more money. So it came as a blessing. I spent that 10K plus another 5 K in the next couple months on fresh buying which set the path for my current domaining business.

So my out of Pocket was around 15K. And just to make sure I play with house money, I took out 15K from my domaining business account, and I have another 20K in reserve which I plan to continue to grow so that I can acquire a nice one word .com. All these generated from my sales.

What @blogspotter said was similar to my scenario.

When I started in domain speculation in 2015-2016, I spent about $5K - $6K in the first year registering and over paying for useless or inferior URLs until I reached around 400 names. After taking my newbie strategy to near failure, I made a purchase from GoDaddy auction for $1K and sold the asset for $7K less than 60 days later.

Had it not been for that sell, I was finished with speculating on URLs. That successful sell made it possible for me to shrink my portfolio to 100 high quality URLs over the last few years making about 2-5 $xxxx sells per year.

Its not much but its a steady side income, and it only a matter of time before I make a sale over $25K. So, I'd say a starting budget of $5K-$10K is needed, but having the right information about building a quality portfolio is more important than your budget.

Many started with a high budget, but low information and ended up losing it all on domain speculation. Others have started with small budgets, and built six figure incomes.

How you spend is key.

freety85

Established Member
Impact
I started with 300 USD 2015, from sales I slowly managed to build up my portfolio as a part time investor.
Since 2019 I take domaining more seriously, reinvesting the majority of my sales income and scaling gradually.
Luckily I never had a negative year. My ultimate goal eventually is to switch 100% full time domaining.

I've seen so many posts over the years here and on sites for other industries. I don't think I've ever gone into a venture with a fixed amount in mind and maybe that's a bad thing.

In the past when I would dabble in new ventures, I would never invest more than I could afford to lose entirely.

1Darko

Top Contributor
Impact
In October 2015 I searched for a domain to start a small website and I accidentally stumbled into domaining. Somehow decided to handreg a few domains and spend about €300 (approx. $360). That was the only money I did put into domains. A few domains from this initial batch sold for a few hundered bucks and I repeated the process over and over. Here I am 7 years later and I can tell you a lot of has changed in this time and I make a nice small side income year after year. I do enjoy it because I learn each day some new stuff and I'm able to connect with people on namepros who share the same passion. :xf.smile:👍❤️

FolioTeam

AMDB.tv
Impact
In October 2015 I searched for a domain to start a small website and I accidentally stumbled into domaining. Somehow decided to handreg a few domains and spend about €300 (approx. $360). That was the only money I did put into domains. A few domains from this initial batch sold for a few hundered bucks and I repeated the process over and over. Here I am 7 years later and I can tell you a lot of has changed in this time and I make a nice small side income year after year. I do enjoy it because I learn each day some new stuff and I'm able to connect with people on namepros who share the same passion. :xf.smile:👍❤️
Similar story here. Was searching for a name for a website and stumbled onto domaining

Last edited:
biix