NameSilo

discuss When did you start domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

When did you start domaining?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 1990s (Early Bird)

votes
    7.5%
  • 2000-2005 (Better late than never)

votes
    11.2%
  • 2005-2008 (Finally managed to start)

votes
    10.5%
  • 2008-2012 (OMG! Those parking revenues)

votes
    11.4%
  • 2012-2016 (Normal domaining and Chinese boom)

votes
    23.7%
  • 2016 or after (I scale up real fast)

votes
    35.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
June 2015. Registered a portfolio of nearly 500 DNs. As of this morning, I've culled my portfolio to 65 1-2 word dot-Com domain names. I think was the worst year to start as a newbie, the new gTLD hype and propaganda was everywhere. Quality over quantity...

•••
Which year did you start domaining?

Bought my first domain name in 1997 but didnt realize the investment potential until many years later.

•••
1999, I made a lot of beginners mistake with that one!
Used a number instead of a word (thought it was cool!), registered it in (dot)info (was told because it was a "informational" site, use (dot)info.
(dot)com = commercial)...if I would have bought the (dot)com,...
Still have the old girl, don't want to retire her because of sentimental feelings (another mistake, putting a emotional attachment to a name..but the "old" girl earned her keep, lots of mortgage payments made cause of her,

, the universe has a strange way of delivering dreams after ones been put through a ringer.

I like that expression..my adaptation!

Old-School-Cheese-Grinder.png

•••
April 2014- if only I'd known about it earlier...

M88

•••
•••
I'm dealing with domains and websites since 1996 - started domaining in 2017 :), when I sold one of my hand regs from 2002. I was just aware of domain auctions but honestly didn't know about "domaining" in this form (aftermarket, trading, community etc).

•••
•••
•••
(First registration: 2005) - Here's when and how I got started: https://www.namepros.com/blog/how-i-broke-free-from-the-chains-and-got-my-start.848899/

As an added note to the last paragraph in that 2015 article, the wife and I are now full-time in a 30ft Winnebago brave (Thanks to the domain industry). It didn't quite happen the way we envisioned it to and it was actually a bit tragic, but then, the universe has a strange way of delivering dreams after ones been put through a ringer.
2005 too here, selling some each year but not getting seriously about selling domains since 2016, too bad
because have another revenue streaming & lost 4 years time just to get a girl :(

damn, i should simulating my life that year for the next 10 years, choose that making money & decline that making lost money

•••
•••
I bought my first website in 2005 or 2006. It came with a registered domain.
I am against to hand register :)

•••
Wow. Many peoples started after 2016

•••
Started around 2010; then there was no known place to study domaining but based on google and around websites I regged so many pigeon shIts as it is called . I began to learn domaining through namepros.com and domainsherpa recently when I stumbled on them and after that have opened my eyes by so many blogs written by so domaining gurus.

Last edited:
•••
•••
2000-2005 (Better late than never) for me :-D

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back