Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 1, 2026.

discuss How much did you start domaining with?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

How much did you start domaining with?

  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • < $500

    66 
    votes
    66.0%
  • $500 - $1500

    13 
    votes
    13.0%
  • $1500 - $5,000

    8 
    votes
    8.0%
  • $5,000 - $10,000

    5 
    votes
    5.0%
  • $10,000+

    8 
    votes
    8.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
1,887
What was your capital when you started domaining?
 
5
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Domains are cheap to hand reg, under $500 for me. What I would say is I wasn't thinking about domaining as a profession back then (even today, I don't). My first few regs aimed at businesses, different mindset. The domains themselves in terms of quality, I'd be lucky to get anything for them
 
3
•••
Like 100 bucks , I've spent about 1500 and made a profit of 1000 thus far. My first year I bought a lot of crap though.
 
9
•••
About $140 for one name for 2 years long before they became $10.
 
4
•••
I started with 10K around July 2020, and wasted most of it on crappy hand reg and overpriced auctions.
Had a surprise sales of around 10K in Nov/Dec 2021 combined, and this was when I didn't want to invest any more money. So it came as a blessing. I spent that 10K plus another 5 K in the next couple months on fresh buying which set the path for my current domaining business.

So my out of Pocket was around 15K. And just to make sure I play with house money, I took out 15K from my domaining business account, and I have another 20K in reserve which I plan to continue to grow so that I can acquire a nice one word .com. All these generated from my sales.
 
Last edited:
8
•••
Bought a domain in $1 (godaddy promo) and sold in $60
 
4
•••
Hand reg a 3 word cloud domain name for 99cent using GD promo code-the good old days and sold for 2500$
Put at Sedo and the next day got an email that says SOLD--- wtf....I said whatever- just send me the money and then I'll believe it
 
6
•••
I started with 10K around July 2020, and wasted most of it on crappy hand reg and overpriced auctions.
Had a surprise sales of around 10K in Nov/Dec 2021 combined, and this was when I didn't want to invest any more money. So it came as a blessing. I spent that 10K plus another 5 K in the next couple months on fresh buying which set the path for my current domaining business.

So my out of Pocket was around 15K. And just to make sure I play with house money, I took out 15K from my domaining business account, and I have another 20K in reserve which I plan to continue to grow so that I can acquire a nice one word .com. All these generated from my sales.

What @blogspotter said was similar to my scenario.

When I started in domain speculation in 2015-2016, I spent about $5K - $6K in the first year registering and over paying for useless or inferior URLs until I reached around 400 names. After taking my newbie strategy to near failure, I made a purchase from GoDaddy auction for $1K and sold the asset for $7K less than 60 days later.

Had it not been for that sell, I was finished with speculating on URLs. That successful sell made it possible for me to shrink my portfolio to 100 high quality URLs over the last few years making about 2-5 $xxxx sells per year.

Its not much but its a steady side income, and it only a matter of time before I make a sale over $25K. So, I'd say a starting budget of $5K-$10K is needed, but having the right information about building a quality portfolio is more important than your budget.

Many started with a high budget, but low information and ended up losing it all on domain speculation. Others have started with small budgets, and built six figure incomes.

How you spend is key.
 
9
•••
< $500
 
11
•••
I started with 300 USD 2015, from sales I slowly managed to build up my portfolio as a part time investor.
Since 2019 I take domaining more seriously, reinvesting the majority of my sales income and scaling gradually.
Luckily I never had a negative year. My ultimate goal eventually is to switch 100% full time domaining.
 
8
•••
$100 , Godaddy had a 0.99 sale , unlimited for 24 hours , so i bought 75 names. Godaddy did that 0.99 unlimited sale again in 2006 or 2007 I think it was , we were having a good time here at NamePros with that .
 
6
•••
$50. Bought 5 names at NameLiquidate and sold 1 of them for $350 in 2-3 hours :)
 
7
•••
hand reg 5 geo domains for $60, sold via outbound 3 domains for $250 each, total $750
 
Last edited:
7
•••
When I started domaining I started with $200. Today I am still investing $200 daily into domaining. My average profit per order is $500 – $600 per order. This is enough to invest in a new name. See the graph below to understand how much I have been making per month:
 
1
•••
Bought many domains but haven't sold one of them yet...
 
2
•••
A few hundreds
 
2
•••
presently less than <$100 and still counting.
Domaining is becoming more like an addiction to me now.
I learn new things everyday.
One day ill tell the story. :xf.cool:
 
4
•••
$2K starting in September 2020, but I went slow in order to avoid burning to much money in junk domains (≈ $200/$300 on a monthly basis).
 
1
•••
I didn't start out with a set amount, i made a few hand registrations whenever i thought of a good word to put next to VR (i ended up dropping most), i started investing in the aftermarket about 4 months after i registered my first domain.
 
1
•••
I've seen so many posts over the years here and on sites for other industries. I don't think I've ever gone into a venture with a fixed amount in mind and maybe that's a bad thing.

In the past when I would dabble in new ventures, I would never invest more than I could afford to lose entirely.
 
1
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back