How long to wait for end user.

NameSilo
Watch

Umesh1

Established Member
Impact
Hello
guys

I am thinking today, that suppose i hand reg. domain name ABCDE.com, but when there is a possibility of some company or individual, want that domain, how long i have to wait for this.

As i have seen many experts say that, no body knows when the end user will come to you, it may be today, or they may come after years, or maybe not.
Anybody who is interested, in naming his company, will be come to you..

So its looks like there is very less chances that end user will come to us. so why we are booking brandable domains here.
So i am very confused here :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:, in buying a domain name, no matter of it is brand able or keyword domain, how much i have to wait.

Plz suggest , what is the actual thing here i have to do.
and sorry for my bad english
thx

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I wouldn't recommend domaining if you are looking for a steady source of daily income. For some it is a side income, and for a few it is a full-time occupation. But the majority of domainers are losing money.

You first need to learn the basics and acquire adequate inventory.
In a way it is very much like investing in stocks.
It takes money to make money, so if you don't have a lot of money to invest it will take a long time to build a healthy portfolio that will yield income.

And if you had a large sum of money at your disposal, you might very well waste it. We have seen a lot of people burning 5 or 6 figures on new extensions or all kinds of dubious names. I mean, people with zero previous experience of domain sales, jumping in with both feet without doing research.
Money obviously helps but only when you know what to buy and what not to buy.

My experience to newcomers would be to read, and refrain from buying, not more than just a few names, that you would be prepared to use for yourself. Read the forum and select blogs for at least a few months and suck up the knowledge.
People often lose interest after a few months and move on to something else. So the first test would be to hold on for a few months just to see if you are patient and determined enough to learn. Remember that a domain name is registered/renewed for at least one year, so you should be prepared to wait at least that long to see the result.

And to answer the original question: typical selling time for us is 3 years but sometimes up to 10 years and of course there are still names unsold after 10+ years. This is without doing outbound, passive sales only.

•••
Two of my biggest sales took 10 years to find the right end users.

But, because they were "keyword" dot com names in an industry that I was very familiar with, I knew they were good names and would be valuable to the right company.

So my recommendation would be to stick to names in a niche that you know something about, which would then put you ahead of probably 95% of the other domainers!

•••
I wouldn't recommend domaining if you are looking for a steady source of daily income. For some it is a side income, and for a few it is a full-time occupation. But the majority of domainers are losing money.

You first need to learn the basics and acquire adequate inventory.
In a way it is very much like investing in stocks.
It takes money to make money, so if you don't have a lot of money to invest it will take a long time to build a healthy portfolio that will yield income.

And if you had a large sum of money at your disposal, you might very well waste it. We have seen a lot of people burning 5 or 6 figures on new extensions or all kinds of dubious names. I mean, people with zero previous experience of domain sales, jumping in with both feet without doing research.
Money obviously helps but only when you know what to buy and what not to buy.

My experience to newcomers would be to read, and refrain from buying, not more than just a few names, that you would be prepared to use for yourself. Read the forum and select blogs for at least a few months and suck up the knowledge.
People often lose interest after a few months and move on to something else. So the first test would be to hold on for a few months just to see if you are patient and determined enough to learn. Remember that a domain name is registered/renewed for at least one year, so you should be prepared to wait at least that long to see the result.

And to answer the original question: typical selling time for us is 3 years but sometimes up to 10 years and of course there are still names unsold after 10+ years. This is without doing outbound, passive sales only.
appreciate ur answer, respect and thx

•••
•••
you must be a

But, because they were "keyword" dot com names in an industry that I was very familiar with, I knew they were good names and would be valuable to the right company.

So my recommendation would be to stick to names in a niche that you know something about, which would then put you ahead of probably 95% of the other domainers!

u must be very patience guy. hheeeeh

•••
you must be a

u must be very patience guy. hheeeeh

Patience is my second recommendation!!!

And never ever, ever appear desperate to sell a name, even if you absolutely have to have the money immediately!

•••
Patience is my second recommendation!!!

And never ever, ever appear desperate to sell a name, even if you absolutely have to have the money immediately!
my english is little weak, you mean to say , i have to never hurry to sell a domain name.

•••
yes i can undrstand that and i respect what u said here, but we need money daily, for day to day works, not after years, so how to manage that, so that we can get money passively, rather than after years.... i hope u getting my point.

thx

this industry is very unpredictable and sales volumes come and go in waves - so in order to be comfortable with daily consistent business you would need tens of thousand of good and great domain names at a minimum and have experience that you have built up over the years.

this industry is not easy nor is it a get rich quick business...

•••
The biggest trap a new domain investor can fall into, is thinking every domain will sell.

It takes time. Either you invest time in finding buyers or you wait, patiently.

•••
Well...This is what the Domain King Rick Schwartz posted today!

http://www.ricksblog.com/2018/06/do...rk-for-dennys-or-capital-grille/#.WxgJpEiFPIU

upload_2018-6-6_21-51-31.png

•••
It's all about name game, if you have a good name than wait for the good offer.

•••
why you not sell on flippa auction?

•••
•••
Hello
guys

I am thinking today, that suppose i hand reg. domain name ABCDE.com, but when there is a possibility of some company or individual, want that domain, how long i have to wait for this.

As i have seen many experts say that, no body knows when the end user will come to you, it may be today, or they may come after years, or maybe not.
Anybody who is interested, in naming his company, will be come to you..

So its looks like there is very less chances that end user will come to us. so why we are booking brandable domains here.
So i am very confused here :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:, in buying a domain name, no matter of it is brand able or keyword domain, how much i have to wait.

Plz suggest , what is the actual thing here i have to do.
and sorry for my bad english
thx

If you can't sale the name in a year let it go. Many domainers waste money and time waiting for a buyer that will never come. Some names will never sale no matter how long your wait.

•••
•••
bcse right now its locked for 60 days. so only i can sell it in godaddy

No, no. You can sell it wherever you want. It's only locked from transferring out for 60 days. If you sell within that time frame, just push it in the buyer's Godaddy account.

•••
I've waited as long as 15 years for a sale (some were long term holds with dev plans.)

•••
If you can't sale the name in a year let it go. Many domainers waste money and time waiting for a buyer that will never come. Some names will never sale no matter how long your wait.
Tell that to @Mike Mann lol
Poor advice.
Evaluate each name on an individual basis when time comes
90% of my portfolio i would renew no problem

•••
Tell that to @Mike Mann lol
Poor advice.
Evaluate each name on an individual basis when time comes
90% of my portfolio i would renew no problem
Yes, I thought the same thing too. "No interest within a year just drop it"
But looking back it is kinda bad advice because it depends.
I have names that I thought were pretty good but are crap and probably will be dropping.
On the other hand I have names that I feel are worth holding on to for a while as the industry has not yet taken off.
So it just depends if you have crap or not and that is all part of the learning curve imo.

•••
For me, the waiting period depended on the quality of the domain name and my asking price for it. Unpopular names will neither sell quickly nor at a high price.

Domaining is very much like real estate, buying houses in good location areas is a much better investment i terms of selling quickly at a profit despite the higher investment amount required initially.

•••
I've waited as long as 15 years for a sale

So it's not just me then! Some of my best sales over the last year have come from names I purchased 10-12 years ago, and just hung on to. I knew they were good and would sell eventually. I have let a small percentage of my portfolio go each year, and have regrets with a few (especially the ones that are now owned by Mike M)!

•••
•••

Hi @DavidH ,
Interested to know whether you sell your kw names via outbound or just wait for incoming offers? Thanks

•••
Hi @DavidH ,
Interested to know whether you sell your kw names via outbound or just wait for incoming offers? Thanks

All my higher value sales have been from incoming offers, via brokerage sites (eg Sedo, Godaddy) or by brokers contacting me direct.

•••
All my higher value sales have been from incoming offers, via brokerage sites (eg Sedo, Godaddy) or by brokers contacting me direct.
Thanks - much appreciated.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back