IT.COM

How long after expired does a domain take to drop?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have been speaking to a representative from godaddy, and they tell me the domain expired on September 26th. It's now in redemption period.

Whats the deal with all this? Ty

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is the domain registered at GoDaddy? If so, then right now the domain is at day 41 after expiry. Did you look for it in closeouts? If you can find it there, buy it and don't hassle with waiting for it to drop. Today would be the last day for closeouts if it hasn't already been taken out of closeouts by now, so be quick if it's still there.

Around day 44-45, the domain will go to 30 day mandatory Registry Redemption, and you can use the last updated date to know when that 30 day period started. After that there is 5 days Pending Delete, then it drops.

If you are curious about the process, wrote it up here:
https://www.namepros.com/posts/6315144/

For more specific help PM me the domain

Last edited:
•••
It is more than 30 days now. Yes it should be in redemption period for Godaddy. Uniregistry, if I dont remember wrong, is little longer than godaddy

sometime you can negotiate with godaddy people, they can give you 50% off to get the name back. around $50 fee

also, maybe you can try to transfer the name to another registrar- just try. and see if it can still be transferred. sometime it works. Nothing to lose.

if the name has no essential meanings for other people, you may want to wait for another 6-8 weeks, so that the name can be available again.

Just go to domainIQ to monitor the name

however, if the name is very good, and can not be transferred any more, you may want to pay the redemption fee to get it back. Dropcatch.com may grab it if you dont do

•••
Oh, yeah, @shane mac - are you trying to rescue your OWN domain, or are you trying to obtain a domain that is expired? I read it and answered the second way

•••
Is the domain registered at GoDaddy? If so, then right now the domain is at day 41 after expiry. Did you look for it in closeouts? If you can find it there, buy it and don't hassle with waiting for it to drop. Today would be the last day for closeouts if it hasn't already been taken out of closeouts by now, so be quick if it's still there.

Around day 44-45, the domain will go to 30 day mandatory Registry Redemption, and you can use the last updated date to know when that 30 day period started. After that there is 5 days Pending Delete, then it drops.

If you are curious about the process, wrote it up here:
https://www.namepros.com/posts/6315144/

For more specific help PM me the domain
If you put in a transfer at day 30, and it takes 2 weeks, u still ok? :)

•••
It was one of mine, I took all my domains off of auto renew and forgot to re register that one. Kinda peeved me off, as I had an intention to develop it, all good things an all, but any way they tried to charge $118 to get it back. No way im paying that for them to blackmail me, id rather lose it or re reg if for reg fee. If someone else buys it good luck is all ill say.

P.s checked closeouts its not there

Last edited:
•••
OK if you did NOT have privacy on, you can QUICK, like NOW, transfer away, unlock domain and get Auth Code and transfer somewhere fast like Epik. You can get Auth Codes by bulk if the individual isn't working

If you had privacy, you are out of luck

•••
I would have tried that but they do now even allow you to see the domain in your list, it simply is not here, has not been there all day.

•••
Last edited:
•••
YES. DO WHAT USER SAID CUZ IT WORKED FOR ME! ! GO TO THEORY EXPIRED DOMAINS LIST UNDER MY DOMSINS.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back