Dynadot

question How is this domain still listed for sale after I bought it from Sedo

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

2 weeks ago I found a premium domain at sedo.com
The buy now price was at $995

I immediately clicked on "buy now" and made $995 + whatever sedo charges extra to get the domain.

Sedo informed me that, they will now contact the seller and ask him to transfer the domain to my registrar.
Its been 2 weeks now and we haven't heard anything from the seller yet.
I have contacted sedo multiple times on this and all they say every time is "we are still waiting to hear back from the seller"

Is this normal?

ALSO, something weird I noticed is that:
I can see the domain is showing for sale at AFTERNIC.com
How can it be listed there for sale when I made a full payment for the domain at SEDO.com?

I'm kind of confused here.
Can someone please throw some light on this.

(please don't ask me for the domain name - I still haven't got it yet)

Questions:
1. Is there no guarantee that we get the domain even if we make a full payment at the "buy now" price at sites like SEDO.com
2. Once we make payment for a domain at its "buy now" price - is it normal to see the same domain listed for sale at other reputable sites like afternic.com etc ?
3. I need to get this domain - anyone know a better way to contact the seller? Any domain brokers out there who is good at this? I am ready to pay extra if someone can help me get this domain,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. Is there no guarantee that we get the domain even if we make a full payment at the "buy now" price at sites like SEDO.com

Nope. No guarantee. Sometimes the domain might have changed hands on another marketplace or privately but the seller forgot to remove the listing.

2. Once we make payment for a domain at its "buy now" price - is it normal to see the same domain listed for sale at other reputable sites like afternic.com etc ?

They are independent sites. Sellers can simultaneously list their domains on multiple sites (and it is recommended as well) to get maximum exposure. Aftermarket sites don't cross-reference other sites to check if a domain is listed elsewhere. It does not serve a purpose for them as they only earn when a sale goes through their site.

3. I need to get this domain - anyone know a better way to contact the seller? Any domain brokers out there who is good at this? I am ready to pay extra if someone can help me get this domain,

A broker is definitely a good idea. So is potentially direct contact with the seller. Try to look up the whois of the domain and if it is not under privacy, the current owner's email will be listed. Whether they check that e-mail and/or respond there is a wholly different matter.

NB: I'm not sure if Sedo has an interface to communicate with sellers directly but if they do, that might be another option.

Last, depending on where the domain is registered, AF might have fast transfer enabled which (Sedo in this case, obviously does not). When sedo refunds the payment (if the txn does not conclude), you might try purchasing from AF. Not a huge possibility but you never know.

•••
Thanks for your detailed response.
That makes sense.

Yes I checked the whois - its whois protected.

•••
If you really want the domain that bad, and it seems like you do, purchase it on Afternic as well. It's a small insurance policy, (price to pay temporarily) to secure the name. Your credit card bill won't be due for 30 days so you buy yourself that much time to track the seller down and then collect a refund from the aftermarket that didn't deliver the goods! Good Luck to you!

•••
If you really want the domain that bad, and it seems like you do, purchase it on Afternic as well. It's a small insurance policy, (price to pay temporarily) to secure the name. Your credit card bill won't be due for 30 days so you buy yourself that much time to track the seller down and then collect a refund from the aftermarket that didn't deliver the goods! Good Luck to you!

How is that done?
I just checked the AFTERNIC site - it says "buy now" for $995
And I'm guessing they will immediately charge me $995
Or is there any other way to do this such that they don't charge me the full amount "like you said above"

•••
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Buy it on Afternic too, this way you have both Afternic and SEDO trying to track down the seller. Whichever aftermarket delivers the name first the other will have to refund your other $995. Hopefully it would be before the second $995 becomes due on your credit card. If I wanted the name that badly, that's what I would do to lock it down. There's no guarantee that either SEDO or Afternic will deliver the name as in the slim chance the seller is deceased or some other analomy, but most likely, the seller just hasn't seen your bid yet.

•••
Cool - I get your point now.
Nice idea.

•••
Sedo ToS allow them to penalise a seller who does not deliver.

https://sedo.com/us/about-us/policies/rules-for-domain-sellers/

Non-selling seller
If your offer to transfer the Domain is accepted, you must complete the transaction with a ready, willing, and able buyer. Accepting an offer constitutes a legally binding agreement and should be given serious consideration. Once an offer has been accepted the buyer has a legal right they can seek to have enforced in a court of law. Sellers who refuse to complete an accepted transaction risk having their Sedo accounts cancelled.

•••
Thanks Carob.

I can see that the whois was updated today:

Registrar URL: godaddy
Registrant Name: Transfer Service
Registrant Organization: Sedo LLC

Does this mean that - Sedo was able to contact the seller and the transfer thing is in progress?

•••
Does this mean that - Sedo was able to contact the seller and the transfer thing is in progress?
It means Sedo have received the domain from the seller - so you are more than halfway there, if you want it quickly they just push it into your Godaddy account. Next step should be a Sedo Transfer Agent asking you for the necessary account details for the push - probably email address and account number.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Can you share the name after the domain is in your account.?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back