IT.COM

.tv How is it going?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi guys,
really a calm period here in the dot tv section.
How is it going on your side?
On mine there is a reduced activity, few offers and most of them are low-balls.
Very few new registration for me also.
And you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now people are busy in buying and registering .io.....

•••
I've had a fair number of low $XXX sales in recent months with most of them being either keyword.TV or KeywordTV.com (plus a few .nets and misc .COM) but low $xxx sales are not anything to get too excited about. I believe the new TLDs have hurt domainer to domainer sales. My experience with .TV has kept me out of the new TLDs as $30 renewals get expensive rather quickly. I do see usage of .TV but quite often the domains are not aftermarket quality. Given the reduced number of registrations, it is rather easy to add a second word or come up with a brandable .TV for reg fee.

•••
Regtring new domains
stuck with new projects
stuck with new site redeisgn
thousand thought in mind
overall i like domaining

P.S i have 4ex .tv only tv domain i have

•••
I would say things are pretty much the same as last year although I have noticed that domainer to domainer sales have virtually disappeared.

It's still, all the luck of the draw. Those with really good names have winning lottery tickets - just the dates when they win are not in our control!

I have had some sales within the past few weeks. Not life changing, but still, with one being for $6500, another for EURO2000 ($2200) and one for £1750 ($2800), I'm not complaining.

If we were to listen solely to domainers then we'd have all have dropped all our portfolios a thousand times in the past - and also bought back as many as we could a thousand times as well! Forums do bring out the 'its crap' or 'it's wonderful' waves of emotion. The one thing my own sales do make me realise is that domainers views of what's happening don't actually count - real endusers tell the story of whether something is good or not. And they still say 'yes'.

Whether other extensions are having an impact. I'm sure they must be with regard to dom to dom sales as there is so much to pick up. But for endusers - they know exactly what they want - and for quite a few that includes .tv which they see in regular usage everywhere they go.

I think two things are not in good for .tv at the moment:

The first is we still have the ridiculous premium name system which still causes so much confusion. I actually saw a .tv name for sale only this weekend which I know is a premium renewal of $500 a year - but nothing was mentioned in the sales particulars. Shameful and bad for everyone.

The second thing is that we are now coming up for half a year where there has been no low prices for .tv at initial registration. A year ago we used to be able to get $10.99 regs which meant some people could register a name for five years for just $55. Now, we are lucky to get one year for $16.99 and renewals all seem to be a minimum of $23.99. Those prices ARE a game changer - but not in a good way.

On the up side, most domainers, seem to have stopped regging the crappy names and are sticking to the top quality names. And, there are some good bargains to be had.

.TV is really not for everyone - especially the hobbyist domainers. And anyone who wants to have a go at this .tv world should really make sure they do a LOT of homework before they try and join in. There are just too many nice people who have come along and got burnt badly thinking they could buy seemingly good names only to find they don't work for a televisual extension.

A final thing I have noticed is that old constant of seeing the established and successful .tv owners continually renewing their names. The WHOIS never lies - and people only renew things when they are stupid - or when they are making money. Others here can work out which is which!!!

•••
This may sound weird, but we turned down $25k for a two word .TV just a few months ago. We've also had a few low $x,xxx inquiries, but nothing worth mentioning.

•••
This may sound weird, but we turned down $25k for a two word .TV just a few months ago. We've also had a few low $x,xxx inquiries, but nothing worth mentioning.

Can you share which one?

•••
While I have generally found marketing domains to potential end users not worth the effort, I have gotten some "How much?" inquiries as a result of focusing my efforts. Many end users / developers don't care for .TV but if their domain name or website title has TV in it (either .TV or TV.com) I figured the odds might be better that they would be interested in a comparable or better quality domain which is .TV or TV.com. You can find these by going to Bing and typing in "keyword TV" and look for websites with a domain which contains TV or at least a website title with TV or channel in it.

•••
what end users? i still have 1000+ .tv - TOP QUALTY!! - and havnt received a serious end user inquiry in 2-3 years. as far as d2d sales i dont think those were ever very much to write home about, except maybe when i was the buyer. 8 years into it and so far .tv is one of the biggest financial mistakes of my life.

i said it a couple of years ago but will say it again for those who wernt paying attn - .tv is an easy way to lose a lot of money. unless you bought, or can buy, the very best (1 worders that fit, geos,?) for very cheap you will most likey lose your a$$. sorry if it hurts but the truth of that statement has proven already itself and only the delusional believe otherwise. i only hang on because i've sunk so much into it and still hope to put my "great plan" into place".

i'm not saying these are crap names. they obviously could be very useful if properly developed. but as a speculative vehicle i wish now that i'd looked more carefully for a more robust asset class. now i can only wish for luck. i'll wish the same for all the rest of us still holding on.

•••
I have to disagree. I think that most of the active members of this forum have earned money with .tv.
I'm not saying it's easy but there aren't many othere extensions where this happened.

•••
I have to disagree. I think that most of the active members of this forum have earned money with .tv.
I'm not saying it's easy but there aren't many othere extensions where this happened.

You don't know that for sure.Have they told you how much money they've put into .tv?They only share their sales(which most of the times are far from legit,just hype to push prices and drive attention to the market).Let's take Namejet for example... most of the "sales" (as publicized by them) are not such a thing.In most cases,the so called "sales" don't go through... Utah.tv,Illinois.tv... were at auction last month and they supposedly sold for 5k each.Well,it's been a month now and the whois data hasn't changed.I don't know if you recall that auction held by Breath Luxury...

https://www.namepros.com/threads/some-great-geo-tv-being-auctioned-at-world-travel-market.836887/

I watched that auction and there were many bids over reserve.Some names were at no reserve.Apparently the auction was such a success.This is what you posted back then:

"
Great news guys!
It really seems that some of them were sold.
I also saw that there is the video of the auction on YT but the audio isn't that good.
Keep us updated!!!!

"

Have you recently checked the whois data of any of these domains...?I did and I haven't seen any change in ownership.

Finster is the only one to trust on here.He's a big player in the .tv space... he has more to loose than anyone else by speaking out the truth.Others like GoneWalkabout (owner of Music.tv) have their personal agenda... He says that d2d market is pretty much dead at the moment regarding the .tv market.He says that the only thing that counts is the end user market.Well... in my opinion,there's no better mirror for the end user preferences than the d2d market.Look at the numeric market for instance and all those big players from China...
I find it a bit presumptuous to think that you're the only one getting it right and that everybody else is wrong.

•••
While I didn't enter the .TV space until latter 2008, since my entry point was during the financial crisis, I did acquire some decent though not necessarily category defining (sports, travel, health, beauty, fashion) .TV domains - well at least in English (in Spanish I do have some nice names but the market is not as active). I did avoid the premium renewals which did hurt a lot of early investors. Having seen that and the portfolio carrying costs of even $28-$30 renewals, I never ventured into the new TLDs. I am seeing some domain investors picking up .TV domains at low $XXX prices but those sales do not provide the sort of returns many .TV investors envisioned when entering the .TV space.

•••
I speak for what I see and I know it have been confirmed to DNJ and I also talk for my side (and for that I really don't need DNJ).
I've seen a lot of hand-regged domains goes for mid-high X.XXX or mid-low XX.XXX. I think that most of the people that have done this sale couldn't have spent more in acquiring new .tv domains so I really have to think that they are in profit.
Speaking for my self just with Furniture and Trader I've done far more than what I've spent in all my domainer activity (globally).

•••
I've seen a lot of hand-regged domains goes for mid-high X.XXX or mid-low XX.XXX. I think that most of the people that have done this sale couldn't have spent more in acquiring new .tv domains so I really have to think that they are in profit.

These are the type of things that lead newbies to lose their money.The chances for selling a hand regged domain for x,xxx / xx,xxx are less than 1%.You're selling it as if it was the norm and it isn't.It's like winning the lottery...
That could work in the late 90's when all this started but not now.It takes money to make money,it's that simple.There are people here that have spent 6 figures if not more in premium renewals + acquisition costs + ... Let's take for example a portfolio of 1,000 names (regular renewal),which is not that big for a big player, at $35 a piece.This is $35,000 in renewals every year,and we're not talking premium renewals,in which case costs would skyrocket.We've seen one more name selling for big bucks (€25,000 EUR).This is peanuts if you compare it to the selling numbers in the dot com world.These sales are isolated and in consequence can't be seen as indicators for future performance.

•••
I think that if you want to do the math you must use real figures. Nobody renew at 35$, and for sure not someone with 1000 .tv.
I think that selling a dot tv for X.XXX or XX.XXX is not the norm but at the same time it's not winning a lottery. It's a mid-high difficulty task.

•••
I have been receiving offers on my 2 letter .tv.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back