NameSilo

How important to register .net if you own .com?

Labeled as advice in Domain Extensions, started by PatrickV, May 16, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. PatrickV

PatrickV Established Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and own some .com domains, how important is it to get also .net?

Thanks a lot!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. korganian

korganian Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I don't feel like it's important at all, since there are now over 1000 extensions.

3. EP2020

EP2020 Established Member

I don't think it matters at all.

4. jmcc

jmcc Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If you are developing a website or service, it is best to register .COM/NET/ORG. If you are registering for a future sale, sometimes business purchasers will want the .NET as well. The downside is that it is an extra renewal fee until that sale.

Regards...jmcc

5. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Reminds me of this January 7, 2020 Uni piece;

https://uniregistry.com/blog/post/domain-trinity-when-to-get-the-com-net-and-org

Samer

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. Brian L.

Brian L. Top Contributor VIP ICA Member

For investment purposes I don’t think it matters, but I acquire the .com, .net, .org and .us for myself and clients that are building out a brand.

7. Austin Ikemefuna

Austin Ikemefuna New Member

8. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

A a bit of brand protection and ability to use another extension for the guts of programming few splash pages. All doesn't hurt to have more other than the outlay.

9. garptrader

garptrader Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

For brand protection it makes sense but as an investment it does not. Buyers willing to pay for an aftermarket domain want the .COM. If they are looking for a reg fee alternative there are hundreds of extensions to choose from.

10. Indianad

Indianad Upgraded Member Gold Account

Welcome to NP's! Read and learn from some of the best thought minds "in my opinion." :xf.smile:

11. BrandCollectors.com

BrandCollectors.com Restricted (DM)

no need to register a dot net if you own a. org or. com

net is like a. info. biz just an another extention..

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  12. Peak.Domains

Peak.Domains Account Closed (Requested) VIP

If you're actually developing the .com, having the .net isn't a bad idea at all, esp if it's a more generic term you can't really trademark. You might wake up someday and see a competitor operating on that extension and think, "dang, I wish I had vanquished them to the realm of needing to use .info, or choosing a different name." In that case, it's definitely worth the $10.

If your .com is REALLY good, and you're able to get the .net, it just means any end-user has one less path to take that doesn't lead directly to your door.

I know somebody with a god-tier .com, who recently paid a few grand for the matching .net, and I think it was a very wise investment. It's kind of like collecting property in the board game Monopoly, once you have one of them, I think the others can become more valuable to own... but only if your .com is good enough. I wouldn't go and start buying the .net's for every .com that I'm hoping to sell for $300 or $1000.

13. Samer

Tell that to Slideshare.com
    Go ahead and go there...
    leads to .net!

Just kiddin, my friend it’s anomaly, only 1 i kno.

Samer

14. BrandCollectors.com

haha the same with hexonet.com

15. Samer

Nice, Finally! Another one added to the list :)

Samer

16. Peak.Domains

Peak.Domains Account Closed (Requested) VIP

Myself and a partner had developed a site that was listed on flippa, once the auction price hit 6 figures, someone cloned the entire site on the .net of our brand because we didn't secure it. We had potential bidders asking about that, it severely jeopardized the sale until we were finally able to get their webhost to take it down. Just food for thought! (I didn't own a huge portion of this site, just to be upfront haha)

I don't grab the .net right away for everything I do, but once a project is off the ground I can't imagine why you would want to give anyone else the opportunity to own it. It's an insurance policy against headaches.

17. BrandCollectors.com

another one internic.net 😅 the main domain in the industry

internic.com has no redirect just disabled 😅

18. Amar D

Amar D Established Member

I've registered for me SwissInformatics in both (com/net).

The .org is in ownership of state Switzerlands IT association :D

19. MadAboutDomains

MadAboutDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It's only as important as you feel it is.

If you're going to be annoyed when someone registers the same name in .Net then it may be fortituous to register it.

20. LUP

LUP Top Contributor VIP

if you want to build a brand, it is important to secure all related domain extensions.

If it's just for flipping a domain or buy and hold it's not important to have it

21. krishmk

krishmk Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Assuming you are asking this question purely on Domain Investing perspective (not for your own Brand protection), I would say if you have the $$ and feel the domain is worth investing go ahead and register the main ones like .net, .org etc.... This creates an artificial demand and can aid in selling your .com extension.

22. Amar D

Amar D Established Member

Btw. I'm using Amadex com for personal website, and Amadex net for nameservers and other backend things :D

23. Shaan Chopra

Shaan Chopra Established Member

It all boils down to the actual usage of the name if it's a personal domain, not required. Some very high worth business you might want to protect your brand go ahead and do it.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice