IT.COM

advice How I lost 479 dollars. Don't repeat my mistake!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

golan

GolanMedia.comTop Member
Impact
In mid 2016 i made some outreach for one of my domains. It was [us state] [something] movers.com. Quite a long name but an EMD for quite an expensive market.

Some people answered, and with one company we exchanged few emails, and they showed a certain interest in the domain. Then they went silent for a few days, and i sent an email, asking what have they decided and bla bla. No reply, so i didnt bother them any more.

And later i let this domain drop. (Now it's some Japanese junk on it).

Today i wondered why i didn't get an email from my SEO domain shop about a new order. And i use the same email account for that that i communicate with my buyers about domains. And i use Rackspace for this account. So i thought - there should be some spam filter at Rackspace. I open my admin there - and GODS!! hundreds spam emails there, but among them also few good ones. Including that order from today, and including the reply from that my buyer from 20 months back!!! In which he said that he was willing to pay me $495 for that domain and asked how to pay.

Obviously i was freaked out and wondered - how the hell it could happen that an email from a legit existing chain went to spam. And i quickly realized that the problem was that they always replied to me from different emails, both corporate and private, and that last reply was made from the CEO's personal gmail which triggered Rackspace filters.

So, $495 - $16 that i purchased it for, $479 of pure loss...... Plus unhappy customer which is probably thinking i'm a rude pig now.

So i want to share this bitter experience with all of you, - ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SPAM, brothers, regularly.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I check my spam folders everyday because of these instances.

•••
Wow. I always check my spam (with caution though as a lot of fraud also from domain name deals). $495 was the opening offer, you may have been able to negotiate him higher.

Anyway $495 over 20 months is like $25 a month :) Not a huge loss but a good lesson learnt.

•••
I check and open the last spam, so next time, I know how much more have added. Your story reinstates that manual check is an important step to minimize losses.

•••
gmail spam filters work amazing for me
99.99% accurate in detecting bad stuff
maybe 1 out 500 spam emails slips into my inbox
thats for bad emails going to inbox

as for good emails going to spam.. its even more accurate on that

except one case I had where there was offer from some indian guy for a domain

good for me I picked it

ended in 400-500$ sale

cheers

•••
•••
$495 was the opening offer, you may have been able to negotiate him higher.
Actually not, we started higher and that was his final offer, i would not counter more.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back