IT.COM

question How do you see the future for .com.co based on the .co BOOM!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FavourB

Established Member
Impact
There have been some buzz around the .co extension and is really working for some investors who know there sauce.

You do agree with me that .co was meant for the people of colombia, well right now the rule is not firm.

Searching on google i see most colombia business migrating to .com.co, there major extension has been invaded by internet aliens so the have to move :xf.grin::xf.smile:

Not to waste time, what future do you see for .com.co?

Do you think this too will be a hot cake in the nearest feature.

As for me i think it's a yes, WHY? because the people of colombia will make it so.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.Com.CO is the cctld for Colombia and is quite common in Colombia. How many aftermarket sales do we hear about in that extension? I don't believe I have seen any. Spanish developers and businesses do not buy aftermarket domains as often as is the case for English keywords in .Com (which is actually still only a very small portion of domain purchases). Regardless, I look forward to visiting Medellin in the next 15 months or so after corona is history and travel restrictions are eased.

•••
Yeah not much sale, but i think it will kick off slowly, if domainers invest heavily on .com.co is going to pick because new business and startup must happen.

But like every other extension, we domainers love to see the green light before we take the risk, it happened with .co now is happening with .vc and lot more.

When you visit help us preach domains to the people:xf.grin:

•••
When you say migrating, do you mean Colombians are moving from their .co domains to .com.co? Or are these new businesses?

I am surprised we are still looking to sub-domains as investments, in 2020. I suppose you can try to follow the opportunity.. but I don't think the reward would be worth the time.

Personally I think it's a step back, moving from a first-level to a second-level domain. That goes for investing as well. Likely won't be anything like the success of the co.uk for example, because that particular second-level came way before the release of the .uk extension; that's all there was.

Also Colombia is a Spanish-speaking country, so something to keep in mind. Dot-co has been around for a while, and it's popularity has been due in fact because of its close relation to .com, thus English domains fit just fine and are usable around the world.

•••
Sorry, read it wrong

i will say this;

the longer one is a mouthful; i’d go .co here

Last edited:
•••
When you say migrating, do you mean Colombians are moving from their .co domains to .com.co? Or are these new businesses?

I am surprised we are still looking to sub-domains as investments, in 2020. I suppose you can try to follow the opportunity.. but I don't think the reward would be worth the time.

Personally I think it's a step back, moving from a first-level to a second-level domain. That goes for investing as well. Likely won't be anything like the success of the co.uk for example, because that particular second-level came way before the release of the .uk extension; that's all there was.

Also Colombia is a Spanish-speaking country, so something to keep in mind. Dot-co has been around for a while, and it's popularity has been due in fact because of its close relation to .com, thus English domains fit just fine and are usable around the world.

Yes Colombians seems to be moving to .com.co maybe because the can't afford the aftermarket prices for .co and i have a strong feeling the naturally love the .com.co more just like the Uk love .co.uk than to .uk

i also thought since the are spanish speaking countries long english words might not be a good investment, so am betting on 3L pronounceable english words and 2L to sell in the future.

•••
When there is only two alternative , its better to focus on .Co than Com.Co.

Com.Co look like a subdomain of .Co

•••
When there is only two alternative , its better to focus on .Co than Com.Co.

Com.Co look like a subdomain of .Co

I get your point, but i guess market is determined by endusers, so it might look like a subdomain but if they are ok with it and willing to pay for it then we have no choice right?

•••
I forgot to mention but years ago I sold CarroYa.com to a Colombian news publication (El Tiempo) and last year sold HagamosNegocios.com to the Barranquilla Chamber of Commerce. Both sales were BIN Godaddy / Afternic low $xxxx.

•••
I forgot to mention but years ago I sold CarroYa.com to a Colombian news publication (El Tiempo) and last year sold HagamosNegocios.com to the Barranquilla Chamber of Commerce. Both sales were BIN Godaddy / Afternic low $xxxx.

Interesting but am not suprised, definetly some people will always want the .com irrespective of country gtld, but if you check further the might also have the .com.co

•••
I mean, has there really been a "boom" in .CO sales?

In 2020 according to NameBio.com -

710 Total Sales

$1.3m Dollar Volume

$1,789 Average Price

Those numbers are decent, but not sure I would consider it some major boom.

As far as .COM.CO that is basically only used in the country. There is really no resale market for it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back