NameSilo

How do you feel about Domain lists ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you like dropping domain lists being posted daily

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Like them

votes
    35.5%
  • Dislike them

votes
    22.6%
  • Don't care either which way

votes
    41.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Over the weekend there were a couple posts about Domain Lists, and which Domain Blogger put out the best.

ElliotsBlog has a poll going right now

A couple commenters posted they were sick of them or don't like them.

So instead of voting on who you think is the best.

Do you like these domain lists or do you dislike them ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"There is no rule."

Exactly. There are tools out there that will get you to those names. Try some out, invest in one that you think gets you those "best" names. I use a couple of paid ones, there are also some decent free ones out there. Don't rely on your competitors for that.

•••
LOL. I can't believe people are arguing about domain lists.

•••
LOL. I can't believe people are arguing about domain lists.

:talk:

i don't see it as an argument, but more like different "expressions of perceptions".

we all may perceive the same event differently, depending on personal preferences, personal loyalties, personal experiences, etc.

the underlying theme is:

these lists are being published by personalities in the industry and as such, these personalities rise to a level of notoriety.

many people who don't know jack from jill, will, typically associate notoriety with knowledge and expertise.

thus or therefore...these lists may typically been seen as premium, just by association of "who" published them, even if "premium" is never used in title or content.

theory example:
if shane, bill or any other blogger in the "agg" put it on a list...
then it must be worthy.

this publicity leads to traffic volume for their respective sites, which in turn leads to more potential revenue for the bloggers from advertisers, etc.

so, in effect they may/are generate/generating revenue while you may stand a chance of losing money, if you buy one of the names on these lists and can't sell it later.

though you are not obligated in any way to read them, the constant promotions by others trying to "latch" on to their (bloggers)notoriety, so they in turn can climb the same ladder.

(maybe we can talk about ladder climbing later)

to some extent the higher the blogger is elevated in the eyes of other domainers, the more accountable they should be to those they came up off of.

these lists can be seen as a form of paying it forward on the part of the blogger, but when/as you pay forward are you also skimping at the same time?

and i think that may be what some are alluding to.

from my perspective, from reading this thread and from watching in the cut ....

•••
Edited

Last edited:
•••
Personally I visit Shanes blog every day. I don't care much about the articles posted, for me it is just interesting to know what are the names on todays list and did I missed some when creating on my own list? I do much work to build the domain listing for my blog and I know how boring it can be sometimes, day after day you just sit behind computer and do the same thing from beginning till the end.
Just respect the work he and many other domainers do and of course everyone has a right to overlook some names, have to admit it is quite hard to do nowadays))))

•••
Biggie you bring up some good points, I know the person who I had writing the lists found it boring, so I am trying to come up with a new column for him to write.

I would like to hear more about climbing the ladder as you see that.

•••
Biggie you bring up some good points, I know the person who I had writing the lists found it boring, so I am trying to come up with a new column for him to write.

I would like to hear more about climbing the ladder as you see that.

:talk:

anytime...just let me know

•••
I don't mind people posting domain lists...Some users out there may find them helpful and may get a name or two from them..Pretty much, if you don't like them too bad. You'll never get rid of them and you'll never stop people from posting them. So you may as well just ignore them and move on.

•••
Sorry i didn't read all posts, just the first 3 or 4.

It is a misjudgement if people think that if names are posted in available lists then they must be junk, since if the name was good then the poster would have registered it himself.

First of all, one name might look not so valuable to the eye of the poster, whereas it can be valuable for someone else.

Secondly, no one can register each and every name out there.

Thirdly, i know people who don't register any domain for themselves, unless the name fits their business/blog, etc.

Fourthly, it all depends on your current interest and activity. There was a time when i shared really my best available .info domains, because i stopped registering them and focused on other things. I knew that those were good names (all of them were taken after 1 day) and today i would probably register them again myself, but i shared them anyway. Why not? After all, i learned my lessons and info from people who were kind
enough to share and not to hold back all the useful stuff and info.

I know there are many domainers out there who don't want to share anything useful and keep everything for themselves.
They just lurk and consume without giving anything back to the community.
I understand that up to a certain extent and i also don't share everything (specially those things for which i worked really hard for years and specially if a lazy noob comes to me and wants me to serve everything to him on a silver platter, in that case i just say f_ck off).
But sharing some good available names is not a big deal for me.
There are simply so many good names available that i am sometimes simply in the mood to share good things and i do it without thinking
too much about them.

I am sure many people who share useful lists feel the same.

Just last week i found a name in an available list, registered it for 5 dollars and sold it for $250 3 days later. And that was not the first time,

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back