Dynadot

How do you feel about Domain lists ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you like dropping domain lists being posted daily

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Like them

votes
    35.5%
  • Dislike them

votes
    22.6%
  • Don't care either which way

votes
    41.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Over the weekend there were a couple posts about Domain Lists, and which Domain Blogger put out the best.

ElliotsBlog has a poll going right now

A couple commenters posted they were sick of them or don't like them.

So instead of voting on who you think is the best.

Do you like these domain lists or do you dislike them ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No Shane you are confusing RobbiesBlog.com with OnlineDomain.com.

•••
Result: You hide domains. I don't care how many you hide and don't know what domains and I don't care why. I only care about the result.
If you don't have a disclaimer then you are hiding from your readers. And they don't know if you are hiding your company name or 5000 domains every year.
Having the disclaimer is not that difficult.

Now to answer the "hiding". How in the hell can you hide public information? Not publicizing is correct, hiding? Wrong. I buy a grand total of 3 or 4 names on Namejet a month....at most. Last month I had 5 names that I would have put on the list that I didn't. I bought 2. One was All Green Lights dot com. The name of my new company. You want that one? So out of 500 names I posted I kept 5 off the list that I would have purchased.

"Open" and "honest" is judged by others usually. And honesty is judged by the results. See above.

I find it funny that I am one of the most open and honest bloggers out there and this guy has the audacity to say I'm shady. I share everything. Many things I shouldn't. I have absolutely nothing to hide and put everything I'm thinking and doing into written word.

I don't care about lists. I have glanced at a few to see what they are about. I just read the other day on a comment you made that you are hiding domains. I didn't read it on your blog.

I don't doubt that you only hide 5 domains last month but on the rare occasion that you hide a single domain then I am going to put you as pathetic. Your words.

So DVDrip you can like or dislike lists or my lists, I don't care. But if you want to accuse me of something that is not true I have an issue. I work hard at everything I do and my results are always somewhere in between pathetic effort to brilliant. Rarely touching the two extremes. People that claim either are either lackeys or naive. I am going to put you at naive

•••
Wow, quite the debate going on here.

I can only speak for myself and how I handle the lists I post on my blog.

1. Everything on my blog is "my opinion". If I post 100 domains than those are the 100 best domains I found "in my opinion". All lists are nothing more than opinions because that's what domain speculation is all about. It never occurred to me to post a disclaimer because it's also my opinion that people aren't stupid.

2. I haven't participated in drop auctions for awhile now and therefore I don't withhold domains from my lists. If I decide to start buying again, this may change.

3. As already pointed out, the really great domains usually have plenty of bids and are no secret. I take pride in finding and pointing out the quality ones that nobody has noticed.

•••
I have never done a list. Get your facts straight.

This is coming from the same man that said he doesn't do list and then next post is a list from Namejet (you took it down because you looked like an idiot). Arguing with you would be like two monkeys screwing a football. You have your opinion and it's not going to change. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and will continue to enjoy the success. We'll meet again

•••
Yeah wrong blog. My apologies. I guess hadn't heard of yours

•••
1. Bill I am not asking you to put a disclaimer. (Actually I am not "asking" anyone.) Every list is an opinion otherwise it would have been a copy and paste.
Readers are looking for opinion.

2. You say that you don't participate in auctions and I believe you. That is why you don't need any disclaimer.

3. I may not like the competition but I don't have a problem with this.

Wow, quite the debate going on here.

I can only speak for myself and how I handle the lists I post on my blog.

1. Everything on my blog is "my opinion". If I post 100 domains than those are the 100 best domains I found "in my opinion". All lists are nothing more than opinions because that's what domain speculation is all about. It never occurred to me to post a disclaimer because it's also my opinion that people aren't stupid.

2. I haven't participated in drop auctions for awhile now and therefore I don't withhold domains from my lists. If I decide to start buying again, this may change.

3. As already pointed out, the really great domains usually have plenty of bids and are no secret. I take pride in finding and pointing out the quality ones that nobody has noticed.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Np.
yeah wrong blog. My apologies. I guess hadn't heard of yours

•••
@DVDRIP It seems you have a problem that they are listed as the 'Best', yet you don't feel that is a true reflection of what is listed, if some are 'not noted' on the list. Is this correct? If so, you feel you are 'right' to call some one as not being truthful in regards to such. I guess, in your mind, you're right to feel you need to call them out on what you feel is a 'technicality'. But with this viewpoint, will you and do you, also call everyone out on the forums and blogs that note they are selling 'Premium' domains, that are nothing more than pigeon-shit domains? The forums are loaded with those misrepresentations, so you have lots of postings to 'call on the carpet' for their 'truthfulness'!

•••
Wait!! NameClerk are you saying that if you start buying you may hold back a name? Uh Oh. Get ready to feel the wrath :)

And we're done. Time to do something more constructive and go find some more names to hide

•••
A domainer needs a disclaimer that they buy domains? And best is relative. Of course they're not going to put up domains they're genuinely interested in, that wouldn't make any sense.

•••
Shane I always prefer crazy to dishonest.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Bill doesn't buy any.

People write about stocks. What would you say about a reporter that writes about the best opportunities every day but one day HE simply forgets to mention the stock he is buying that day?

A domainer needs a disclaimer that they buy domains? And best is relative. Of course they're not going to put up domains they're genuinely interested in, that wouldn't make any sense.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

I am only talking about domains that are not mentioned on purpose. Not if a writer missed one.

Drop lists are not a "sales" pitch. There are articles on blogs with readers and sponsors.

@DVDRIP It seems you have a problem that they are listed as the 'Best', yet you don't feel that is a true reflection of what is listed, if some are 'not noted' on the list. Is this correct? If so, you feel you are 'right' to call some one as not being truthful in regards to such. I guess, in your mind, you're right to feel you need to call them out on what you feel is a 'technicality'. But with this viewpoint, will you and do you, also call everyone out on the forums and blogs that note they are selling 'Premium' domains, that are nothing more than pigeon-shit domains? The forums are loaded with those misrepresentations, so you have lots of postings to 'call on the carpet' for their 'truthfulness'!

•••
One more.

As a former stock blogger I know the rules I promise. You are required to disclose positions on stocks you TALK ABOUT. No rules on stocks you don't talk about.

* I may or may not hold positions in stocks that I didn't discuss in today's post

Yeah, that makes sense.

•••
"People write about stocks. What would you say about a reporter that writes about the best opportunities every day but one day HE simply forgets to mention the stock he is buying that day?"

I wouldn't care. I would do my own homework when buying something. These are people's blogs, they don't have to tell you anything.

"As a former stock blogger I know the rules I promise. You are required to disclose positions on stocks you TALK ABOUT. No rules on stocks you don't talk about."

Link me to some rule where people who blog about domains, have to tell people what domains they buy. Go ahead.

•••
A few points of my own.

1. Anyone making and sharing domain lists: Want to call it the "big and best" or "huge and uncut", be my guest. From the perspective of accuracy, it has to be so. That's what dvdrip is trying to explain here. I had the same argument about Francois and his newsletter headlines being called "top headlines", despite lesser clicked headlines making it to the newsletter.

2. Lists are only useful if they have some stats about the domains they include: uniques, age, Google results etc. Something other than the "oh, this domain sounds hot" remark.

3. Lists do raise awareness - and hence, competition and price - to domains that might otherwise go for the basic dropcatch fee. Don't expect to be thanked by everyone, when you do post a hot domain that will be auctioned next week.

4. Finally those that don't care about lists, don't read them. At the same time, those that don't care about polls, should not bitch and whine about them if they don't want to vote.

•••
I LOVE domain lists!

I remember my first decent ($500) sale came from a domain purchased at reg fee from one of Bill's lists. I know he now focuses on Namejet and GoDaddy auctions, but I wish he would publish more of the reg fee names. Still, it is a great list.

I have purchased some names from TNT Names as well. David has a good mix of reg fee and auction names, most of which can be purchased for less than $30.

Shane also has a good list of names, although I consider his to be more "premium" names, at least for me. I have never bought a name from NameJet, and my usual limit to spend on a name is $69. But Shane's list is very informative; if nothing else you will learn what constitutes a good or "premium" domain name.

I've even gotten a domain from DropGrabs.com that I was able to sell to an end user for a small profit. While I feel that Patricia (I believe that's her name) should focus more on names that may have some value instead of junk .info, .us. and .tv names, it's her list so she can do as she pleases.

Jason Thompson used to have reg fee domain lists that featured good names, but he has not published a list in quite a while.

If I recall, all of this debate about the value of domain lists started when Shane criticized some of the other bloggers for publishing lists instead of in depth articles. I would say that Shane has a vision for his blog and his vision may not be shared by other bloggers. There is no right or wrong here. If a blogger wants do devote his/her entire blog to domain lists, that's their prerogative. I find value in ALL of the blogs. If I want domain news, I may choose one blog; if I want a list of names to register or backorder, I will choose a different blog. All of them are good, and they cater to different people with different needs. So to Shane, keep writing a great blog and publishing great lists, and let the other bloggers do their thing. All of you are needed.

•••
"From the perspective of accuracy, it has to be so."

And you were ripped for that view, because again, what's best to one person, might be garbage to another. These are just opinions. Best domains, what is that? Rick thinks the domains he picked are good, some I think are garbage.

•••
..Drop lists are not a "sales" pitch. There are articles on blogs with readers and sponsors.
So.., it's ok to be misleading on 'sales' pitches, but to not list every name one knows 'might' be available for others to try and buy is misleading. eeek..

Interesting perspective you have on things. :rolleyes:

•••
"From the perspective of accuracy, it has to be so."

And you were ripped for that view, because again, what's best to one person, might be garbage to another. These are just opinions. Best domains, what is that? Rick thinks the domains he picked are good, some I think are garbage.

Ripped? :) Don't forget to clean up the blood.

It's funny when the same argument has two separate points of view, depending on who starts the conversation.

•••
I like the name fixedpricedomains.com Hawkeye.

•••
•••
DvdRip to be fair you cast aspersions on the names calling them mediocre and implying the bloggers only made the lists to make money but don't think the domains are good.

DVDRIP said, "List of mediocre domains I don't really care for but you should buy so I make money".

and

"Best of the domains I don't like. Probably they are worthless or too expensive for me."

I don't think anyone is posting names they think are worthless.

•••
Anyone claiming they post the entire list of the 'gems' they found, is telling porkies.

Almost 10 years ago I generated - and sold on a regular basis - availability lists: 3-Char .com/.net's, domains existing in the early 90's and which had dropped, LLL .eu/.in/.info/.biz when they were first introduced, NNNN .com's etc.

Do you seriously think I did not skim the list myself? LMAO.

That's why all the so-called "top", "big", "huge" and "best" lists published by bloggers these days are just personal picks. Nothing more than that. And that's ok by me, I usually create art as a hobby.

•••
:talk:

i memba back in the day

we made a list of available names that had overture score with extension included, on dnf.

now that was a list!

and no i don't read them cuz i got my own list

:)

•••
I remember the DNF ovt with ext. They were really great lists.

•••
•••
I wouldn't care either but people that read them care.

There is no rule. But people writing about stocks always write a disclaimer if they buy a certain stock they talk about and they don't hide stocks. Nobody is going to punish them for that. But that doesn't mean they are going to get respect from their colleagues and readers if they do hide them.

"People write about stocks. What would you say about a reporter that writes about the best opportunities every day but one day HE simply forgets to mention the stock he is buying that day?"

I wouldn't care. I would do my own homework when buying something. These are people's blogs, they don't have to tell you anything.

"As a former stock blogger I know the rules I promise. You are required to disclose positions on stocks you TALK ABOUT. No rules on stocks you don't talk about."

Link me to some rule where people who blog about domains, have to tell people what domains they buy. Go ahead.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

You mixed different things here.

When a company tries to sell it's own stock it will say that their are most promising company in the world etc...

When you are a reporter or a blogger you can't hide the best stock from your readers and keep it to yourself without at least a disclaimer of some sort. Actually you can but people seem to not like it. Maybe I am wrong and people enjoy hidden domains. Who knows.

So.., it's ok to be misleading on 'sales' pitches, but to not list every name one knows 'might' be available for others to try and buy is misleading. eeek..

Interesting perspective you have on things. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

You took my quotes out of context.
I was saying exactly the opposite. I was telling that writers post the domains they like the most, not the mediocre ones. These were examples of sarcastic titles of posts.

DvdRip to be fair you cast aspersions on the names calling them mediocre and implying the bloggers only made the lists to make money but don't think the domains are good.

DVDRIP said, "List of mediocre domains I don't really care for but you should buy so I make money".

and

"Best of the domains I don't like. Probably they are worthless or too expensive for me."

I don't think anyone is posting names they think are worthless.

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

:)

And that's ok by me, I usually create art as a hobby.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back