IT.COM

sales How do I get paid by the buyer of my domain without using a broker?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just curious how other people have done this. Most of my sales have been through auction websites or brokerages. I have had a couple of sales that were private with people I knew and trusted so the transfer was not a problem....

But just last week I had two different inbounds...both offering small amounts of money....which I wouldn't mind selling the domain names for, however if I were to use any of the usual "services" I would end up with next to nothing in my account.

For example, one of the names has a $75 offer. I don't mind selling it for this amount but I don't want to have to pay a service to broker it. Do I just transfer it to the guy and tust he's going to pay me? Or does the guy just have to trust I will transfer it and send me the money first?

What's the best way of doing this?

What are your experiences? (Good and Bad...)

Cheers!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Small amounts use paypal no great crime if lose money on charge back it has happened but it is a small amount. It will the hell you give them after so it isn't worth the hundred or so they gain.
Large amounts put it though escrow or godaddy that uses it the money in hand is always less than you dream after fees and taxes.

Last edited:
•••
I think a service like Epik escrow or Sav would be a safe, low-cost solution.

•••
I think a service like Epik escrow or Sav would be a safe, low-cost solution.

Yes.... but as per the heading of this thread.... I'm trying to avoid any cost. Such a low amount of money here that I don't really want to use any paid service at all if I can help it....

•••
Small amounts use paypal no great crime if lose money on charge back it has happened but it is a small amount. It will the hell you give them after so it isn't worth the hundred or so they gain.
Large amounts put it though escrow or godaddy that uses it the money in hand is always less than you dream after fees and taxes.
Thanks Lock. Have you made any private sales just using PayPal and the honour system?

•••
I have used PayPal for small sales had one person charge back over a list which one name had lapsed long ago.

•••
Hi

ask buyer to send via Paypal Friends and Family

or if you use escrow.com, ask buyer to pay the fee

or if you use any other marketplace, just increase price by 20%, so you can net full amount.

imo...

•••
For less than one hundred dollars I think PayPal (or something similar) is the only way.

For bigger amounts you can use both DAN and Sedo as escrow for external sales at a reduced %. I think also Epik do this but I never used them so far.

Last edited:
•••
Ask the buyer to use PayPal Mass Pay. The buyer can't chargeback if it's mass pay.

•••
Ask the buyer to use PayPal Mass Pay. The buyer can't chargeback if it's mass pay.
I have not heard of that before. Thank you for the heads up!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back