IT.COM

question How can we market .edu.eu domains to European Education Sector?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dr. Aftab

Established Member
Impact
Hi,
Experts Please suggest how can we market .edu.eu domains to schools, colleges, organizations in European union ? What is the most effective way to market ?
Should we partner with local registrars / resellers or market it ourselves ?
It is a regulated domain space for European education sector and we verify each registration before activation.
European union is home to over 600 Million population and around 30 countries, There should be thousands of schools, colleges, universities, educational organizations ? If email marketing, how can we get lists for schools, colleges, educational organizations? We have data for universities but couldn't find schools, colleges

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Honestly I don't think there is any demand for a private subdomain like this one. .eu is not very popular on its own, and I doubt a lot of eligible entities would want one .edu.eu, even for free.
And registrants are not interested in coping with red tape and vetting procedures like you suggest. If at least the reward was a desirable/memorable domain it could be worth the hassle but this is not the case here. And €59 is not cheap or competitive.

The idea has been tried many times in different extensions.

Also, you have to be aware that some extensions do not allow the model of domain name leasing at the third level (the Centralnic model). As far as I know it's not explicitly forbidden in .eu but you have to make sure before you sell any names.

But I think it's a terrible idea and it is unfortunate that you seem to have put a lot of effort in it. You are trying to do what 98% of domainers are doing: trying to sell stuff that nobody wants, and selling subdomains in a not so popular extension is definitely challenging to say the least.
IMO you should stop, do some research and then reconsider your plans. Good luck.

•••
More than 20 universities have Registered in less than 3 months. Some for 10 years already. Giving up is absolutely no option. Even if we have to bear loss and even there was a single domain operating because of trust registrants have shown in us. There are thousands of potential customers and we need only 200 to cover costs. 201st registration goes to 100% profit.
EURID management is all aware about it and I had already consulted with EURID legal department before launching registrations.
There is no.hassale for registrants as we are offering free personal service in transition from old domain or any settings.
We verify registrants by our own mechanism and they don't have to do any paper work etc.
We just need help to market and reach out schools, colleges, organizations. In case of universities we have contact details for some and we are trying to reach out

Last edited:
•••
The best advice I could give then, is to diversify. If you have a turnkey registrar solution working you could accommodate more extensions. I understand that you already offer .eu registrations but this is not enough to compete on the market. At a minimum you should add .com and a few mainstream extensions.
I would treat this as a pet project strictly. It will have to be subsidized by other sources of revenue. You are going to spend a lot of time and energy to get people on board but among the potential customers very few are actually willing to buy and you'll find out over time how tiny the market is. I'm talking about customer acquisition cost here.

•••
@Kate Thanks for your support. I'm considering to add atleast European ccTLDs and .com and an admissions consultancy website on admissions.edu.eu to generate revenue.
I hope if we are able to get some 40-50 universities, their websites on .edu.eu, It will attract more registrants.
I understand it is a long term project to work hard and maybe I will have to bear loss during first few years.
Can you please suggest how to get contact data for schools, colleges in Europe ?
We want to target small schools with packages like domain+webhosting+web development.

•••
•••
@siravi That I know already. I just wanna get suggestions and help with ideas to market it in European education sector. For example how and where can I get contact detail lists for schools in European countries ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back