Dynadot

Company Buys 23,000 Domain Names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Company Buys 23,000 Domain Names in one category

Interesting news on major domain portfolio purchase....This looks like a growing trend to puchasing large domain portfolios....

Company Buys 23,000 Domain Names

MINNEAPOLIS, June 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- BDC Capital, Inc. (OTC Bulletin Board: BDCI - News) today announced that BDC Partners, its wholly owned subsidiary, has completed the acquisition of more than 23,000 high school and college web domain names. It is believed to be one of the most comprehensive acquisitions of a single category of domain names in e-commerce history.

''We believe that both the individual and the aggregate values of these largely undeveloped domain names hold promise as marketing, communications and outreach vehicles,'' said Richard Pomije, president and CEO of BDC Capital. ''Most educational websites are designated by an '.edu' or '.org' suffix, which often are complex and difficult to remember. Ours are straightforward -- the name of the school and the mascot. And .com and .net remain the most easily memorized addresses.''

The company said uses range from sports reporting and marketing, integrated marketing, alumni association membership and communications and contact information.

About 90 percent of the 22,000-plus high schools' domain names acquired by BDC Partners end in ''.com,'' with a much lower percentage ending in ''.net''. Combined, this represents about 99 percent of all U.S. high schools -- as designated by the name of the high school and the high school's mascot name. For example, BDC now owns the names ''Edinahornets.com'' and ''Edenprairieeagles.com,'' the sites for Edina High School and Eden Prairie High School, in Edina and Eden Prairie, MN, respectively. It owns similar constructs for high schools in all 50 states.

Using a similar ''.com'' naming approach BDC Partners also has acquired approximately 97 percent of all the colleges and universities in primary athletic conference categories in the United States. This includes approximately:

-- 312 out of 327 Division I,
-- 320 out of 321 Division II,
-- 466 out of 468 Division III
-- And all 330 colleges registered as part of the National Association of
Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).

Among the prominent domain names acquired by BDC are: universityof notredamefightingirish.com; harvarduniversitycrimson.com; stanforduniversitycardinals.com; universityofmichiganwolverines.com; and universityofminnesotagophers.com, universityofminnesotagoldengophers.com, uofmgoldengophers.com and uofmgophers.com

The company plans work with private sector marketing organizations and with the schools themselves to develop effective strategies to communicate with current students and alumni and to promote easier and deeper contacts with the educational institutions.

''The success of meeting sites, such as 'classmates.com' and 'reunion.com,' are highly encouraging,'' Pomije said. ''We are equally excited about the potential for sports marketing and reporting given the growth of sites such as 'myteam.com,' 'eteamz.com,' 'collegesports.com' and 'onlinesports.com.'''

About BDC Capital, Inc.
BDC Capital, Inc., based in Burnsville, MN, is a Business Development Company under Section 54 of the Investment Company Act of 1940. BDC was established December 10, 2004, with the purpose of building an investment portfolio consisting of revenue generating assets and emerging companies well-positioned for future growth. The company's web site is at http://www.bdccapital.com/.

Posted on Wednesday, June 22 @ 09:43:33 EDT by Editor (Cheap Hosting Directory)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
:o

I'd be happy if I had 200!

Thanks for the article LeDomain :tu: !

True_Snake

•••
Awesome article :)

In the grand scheme of things, this amount is slightly less than tomorrow's expiring domains :hehe:

•••
This is crazy!

Thanks for the article tho :)

- SW

•••
UofM

Hmmm..so maybe these are the folks who have been looking at my UofMWolverines.com and UMWolverines.com

Thanks for the post!

Mark

•••
That is a lot of names. I guess it is a good thing

•••
wow ....

very interesting
thanks for sharing

•••
•••
Wow, thats a very interesting article. I wish I had all of those. :P

•••
True_Snake said:
:o

I'd be happy if I had 200!

Until renewals come due...

Good luck to them. I've only ever had one UDRP filed against me, and it was a TLA of a university in a non-edu TLD. Many colleges have their mascots, ancronyms, and names trademarked. The domains do little good at actually selling anything unless you are licensed to use the logos.

Of course $10 per name isn't all that big a deal except for the shear number of names.

•••
Very interesting article :) Renewal will definitely be a nightmare for them unless they have a very big budget :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back