Dynadot

How Can I Remove A Page From Someone Else's Website?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I need a page removed from someone else's website. That page contains my client's URL. The site in which the URL is on contains illegal content and I fear it might damage the reputation of my client's site.

I've used who.is to contact them and they are not responding. I've used who.is to contact their registrar and their web hosting to see if they could forward my email to the owner (just in case the public email address is not his primary one).

Unfortunately, the registrar feels it's none of their business. If I were to issue a DCMA it would be the webhost's business. But the person is self-hosted.

How in the world, can I contact someone who is unreachable? I need that link removed ASAP.D-: It would not be enough if the page is removed from Google search engines, the link has to be removed from the person's site.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This would be an interesting test case for reputation.com's advertising claims.

•••
Didn't hear about that one.

•••
If they're hosting illegal content, doubtful they'll play nice even if you could contact them...

Reputation works more with bad reviews and that sort of thing. What they do is generate a lot of content/citations/pages to try to push the bad stuff down, or minimize the impact compared to the positive.

Is this pirated content? Any chance a heads up to the legit content owner would help? They may be able to get the registrar or the network provider to take action.

•••
If there is illegal content on that page, contact the party who's copyright is being infringed upon and maybe their lawyers will be able to send them the DMCA.

As it stands, I don't think you could issue the DMCA, if it's just your URL on the page that you are concerned with.

And I'm not even sure DMCA covers linking to a site?

•••
Someone had a link on one of my sites (they placed it there themselves). They issued my webhost with an unofficial DCMA notice or what I'd like to call an email with the title 'DCMA Takedown Notice' or something similar. My webhost panicked and warned me that I had 24 hours to remove their link from my site or my account will be suspended until I cooperate.

Can you believe that? I was forwarded the email that was sent. It wasn't even sent by an email with the domain name in question. It was sent using a free email address if I'm not mistaken.

Webhosts panic when they read 'DCMA Takedown Notice'. Check out the paragraph under 'controversy' of DCMA on Wikipedia. People are just sending it out like it's a joke and webhosts don't even ask for official documentation.

•••
You cannot remove by your own self but you can complain to Google that they are copying your content or you can contact the website owner and request them to remove.

•••
You can 'disavow' the link via Google Webmaster Tools - http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/disavow-links-main

Not sure if that would be enough for your requirements, but at least in terms of SEO it would help.

It's a DMCA notice, not a DCMA notice and it can not be used to have someone remove a link, only copied content, that too if the server is US based.

•••
So guys yeah.. i will need someone to take down site.. My brother died in car accident and someone is talking some sh*ts about him and others... So if someone have some free time i can give couple of bucks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back