IT.COM

HostGator not releasing requested auth codes for anyone!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Allysin

Established Member
Impact
Hostgator seemed to go through a portal redesign. I have logged in to request auth codes for few of my domains I have with them and you go through several steps and at the end, you will see the following message:

Your request for an Auth Code has been received and your information will be validated to ensure the security of your account. If your request is approved, you will receive your Auth Code by email in 3 days.

To cancel this request, please call one of our Customer Service Representatives at 1-866-455-1655. .

Thank you.

This is very disturbing! Do ICANN rules allow this? Anything that could be done to speed things up? Does anyone even know how they 'validate to ensure the security of my account'? I mean they even say: IF your request is approved... ?!?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hostgator seemed to go through a portal redesign. I have logged in to request auth codes for few of my domains I have with them and you go through several steps and at the end, you will see the following message:

Your request for an Auth Code has been received and your information will be validated to ensure the security of your account. If your request is approved, you will receive your Auth Code by email in 3 days.

To cancel this request, please call one of our Customer Service Representatives at 1-866-455-1655. .

Thank you.

This is very disturbing! Do ICANN rules allow this? Anything that could be done to speed things up? Does anyone even know how they 'validate to ensure the security of my account'? I mean they even say: IF your request is approved... ?!?
I've talked to them on chat about this and this is what they said:

The code is being generated and validated with the help of ICANN. This s why it will take time to complete the EPP key request.
3 days is maximum, if there will be issues on it being requested. But if the domain is clear on checks, it will be faster than 3days of course.
Its not Hostgator but its Icann, it looks if there are any violations on the domain, if it is nearly expiring, if a suspension is present on the domain. Things like that.

Hmmm...

•••
I've talked to them on chat about this and this is what they said:

The code is being generated and validated with the help of ICANN. This s why it will take time to complete the EPP key request.
3 days is maximum, if there will be issues on it being requested. But if the domain is clear on checks, it will be faster than 3days of course.
Its not Hostgator but its Icann, it looks if there are any violations on the domain, if it is nearly expiring, if a suspension is present on the domain. Things like that.

Hmmm...
Well, that explanation is complete nonsense.

You can get the AUTH code almost immediately with most major registrars.

However, other registrars like Network Solutions have similar delays.

ICANN transfer policy - https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/transfer-policy-2016-06-01-en

Requirements for the "ClientTransferProhibited" Status and "AuthInfo" Codes​

5.1 Subject to ICANN specifications or policies and any applicable laws or regulations, Registrars must follow the requirements set forth below.

Registrars may only set a domain name in "ClientTransferProhibited" status upon registration or subsequent request by the Registered Name Holder, provided, however, that the Registrar includes in its registration agreement (obtaining the express consent of the Registered Name Holder) the terms and conditions upon which it prohibits transfer of the domain name. Further, the Registrar must remove the "ClientTransferProhibited" status within five (5) calendar days of the Registered Name Holder's initial request if the Registrar does not provide facilities for the Registered Name Holder to remove the "ClientTransferProhibited" status.

5.2 Registrars must provide the Registered Name Holder with the unique "AuthInfo" code and remove the "ClientTransferProhibited" within five (5) calendar days of the Registered Name Holder's initial request if the Registrar does not provide facilities for the Registered Name Holder to generate and manage their own unique "AuthInfo" code and to remove the "ClientTransferProhibited" status.

5.3 Registrars may not employ any mechanism for complying with a Registered Name Holder's request to remove the "ClientTransferProhibited" status or obtain the applicable "AuthInfo Code" that is more restrictive than the mechanisms used for changing any aspect of the Registered Name Holder's contact or name server information.

5.4 The Registrar of Record must not refuse to remove the "ClientTransferProhibited" status or release an "AuthInfo Code" to the Registered Name Holder solely because there is a dispute between the Registered Name Holder and the Registrar over payment.

5.5 Registrar-generated "AuthInfo" codes must be unique on a per-domain basis.

5.6 The "AuthInfo" codes must be used solely to identify a Registered Name Holder, whereas the FOAs still need to be used for authorization or confirmation of a transfer request, as described in Section I.A.2 and Section I.A.4 of this policy.

Last edited:
•••
sorry it won't help, but why anyone would keep domains at hostgator in year 2023 in the first place

•••
sorry it won't help, but why anyone would keep domains at hostgator in year 2023 in the first place
Cheapest prices on some domain extensions.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back