NameSilo

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pokemon Go boss is afraid of a dystopian VR future

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pokemon-go-boss-is-afraid-of-a-dystopian-vr-future/0181253

Meh, that's what i like most about the potenital of VR, escaping this reality whenever i like
bcc91e8e9041b388a64f6c583e96b6f6.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
Pokemon Go boss is afraid of a dystopian VR future

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pokemon-go-boss-is-afraid-of-a-dystopian-vr-future/0181253

Meh, that's what i like most about the potenital of VR, escaping this reality whenever i like
bcc91e8e9041b388a64f6c583e96b6f6.png

Yea, I posted some on that interview a few pages back. I'm not afraid of VR in any way.

The problem I see with VR/AR/MR's future is that a bunch of other tech will find it's way into VR very soon.
Things like eye and face tracking. I know that does not sound like any big deal and even a plus because it is a plus as publicly stated.
But I have been watching the research on this stuff for a very long time and it has got to be a very solid science to be able to nearly read your mind with it. (make you predictable)
Harmless enough it seems for advertisers to know how effective their advertising is but more important, they are effective by evoking a emotional response in some way positive for their objective after they have learned your characteristics..
My issue with it is not the initial premise... but this tech will get better ! How much better will it get how fast ?
But this additional tech going in will most likely not be known to the consumer in it's full context till it is well into everyone's hands and well used.
I won't go into a rant with this but just remember I told ya so in a few years.
It's getting like 1984/minority report in a real way, only worse.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yea, I posted some on that interview a few pages back. I'm not afraid of VR in any way.

The problem I see with VR/AR/MR's future is that a bunch of other tech will find it's way into VR very soon.
Things like eye and face tracking. I know that does not sound like any big deal and even a plus because it is a plus as publicly stated.
But I have been watching the research on this stuff for a very long time and it has got to be a very solid science to be able to nearly read your mind with it. (make you predictable)
Harmless enough it seems for advertisers to know how effective their advertising is but more important, they are effective by evoking a emotional response in some way positive for their objective after they have learned your characteristics..
My issue with it is not the initial premise... but this tech will get better ! How much better will it get how fast ?
But this additional tech going in will most likely not be known to the consumer in it's full context till it is well into everyone's hands and well used.

Yes, things like facial recognition and biometric reading at a distance frightens me too, and it's likely that public concern about these things will be drowned out by the simplistic moral panics over VR smut and the like.

It's been widely quoted that the average person in London is recorded and tracked by something like 300 cameras in a single day. They'll come a point when all these cameras come equipped with facial recognition software, ability to read heart rate etc, even possibly scanning the person's brain and 'mind reading'. Some of this might be good for stopping terrorists at airports etc but it's a frightening prospect for privacy. I think VR will be a place that people will want to escape from all this intrusion and monitoring, but as you say, advertisers will probably lead the way with this tech and force it into the virtual world too.

As for fears over people spending too much time in virtual worlds, people already spend so much of their lives online staring at a screen, VR will simply make the online experience 'more real'.

•••
•••
Today's handregs:

Music XR (.com)

Holo Chatroom (.com)

•••
IMG_1298.PNG
Conversation published here with Taylor Freeman absolute permission . Uploadxr.com was registered by uploadvr.com Taylor Freeman . They decided to use upload.io for the main site for the moment but keep uploadxr.com as a later option if the term gains public acceptance. It shows how the people behind the scenes are seeing a movement towards Xr and are covering there tracks by registering the domain name early. Xrstore.com was caught by another company getting near impossible now to catch a name .

•••
Show attachment 55300 Conversation published here with Taylor Freeman absolute permission . Uploadxr.com was registered by uploadvr.com Taylor Freeman . They decided to use upload.io for the main site for the moment but keep uploadxr.com as a later option if the term gains public acceptance. It shows how the people behind the scenes are seeing a movement towards Xr and are covering there tracks by registering the domain name early. Xrstore.com was caught by another company getting near impossible now to catch a name .

Nice Research.

keep it premium guys :)

•••
•••
Nice Research.

keep it premium guys :)

Well I do own XR Tetail (y) lol

Was trying to reg "Retail" and accidently pressed the "T" instead of the "R" :xf.eek: :facepalm:

•••
•••

@VRdommy I just talked to guys at VRLA who are involved with a start-up which is designing software to aggregate and utilize the metrics coming out of VR viewing... They "assure" me the data will all be anonymized and not user-specific, but as I said in a previous post about this subject "VR privacy" is a lot like the corpse at an Irish funeral... "It sure looks life-like, but everyone knows it's dead!" ;)

Last edited:
•••
Show attachment 55300 Conversation published here with Taylor Freeman absolute permission . Uploadxr.com was registered by uploadvr.com Taylor Freeman . They decided to use upload.io for the main site for the moment but keep uploadxr.com as a later option if the term gains public acceptance. It shows how the people behind the scenes are seeing a movement towards Xr and are covering there tracks by registering the domain name early. Xrstore.com was caught by another company getting near impossible now to catch a name .

The Upload guys were at VRLA - Nice crew! (And interesting they went with Upload.io for the time being...) This said, and not to rain on anyone's parade as it is early days, but I saw nary a single reference to XR on the VRLA exhibition floor. I think Upload regging the XR name is just a hedge. JMHO, but the "VR" term is king so far and if all the start-up businesses I saw incorporating the terminology are any indication, it will remain so for the foreseeable future... (In my experience once a certain term gets up a head of steam, it is very hard to "unring" the bell... ;)) In fact, if the upcoming Spielberg movie "Ready Player One" makes extensive use of the "VR" term, I'd say it's "game over" and the deal is sealed in the public's mind... (Again, JMHO...)

Last edited:
•••
The Upload guys were at VRLA - Nice crew! (And interesting they went with Upload.io for the time being...) This said, and not to rain on anyone's parade as it is early days, but I saw nary a single reference to XR on the VRLA exhibition floor. I think Upload regging the XR name is just a hedge. JMHO, but the "VR" term is king so far and if all the start-up businesses I saw incorporating the terminology are any indication, it will remain so for the foreseeable future... (In my experience once a certain term gets up a head of steam, it is very hard to "unring" the bell... ;)) In fact, if the upcoming Spielberg movie "Ready Player One" makes extensive use of the "VR" term, I'd say it's "game over" and the deal is sealed in the public's mind... (Again, JMHO...)
I think the next 6 months we will start to see xr used more from all my research and chatting behind the scenes but this is just my own opinion whatever wins i just hope we all have a piece of it but thanks for your opinion I appreciate it.

•••

Well I don't know but the news I kept seeing promoting the VRLA was a mixed reality easter egg hunt.

http://vrscout.com/news/vrla-2017-easter-egg-hunt-mixed-reality-afternow-hololens/

•••
Well I don't know but the news I kept seeing promoting the VRLA was a mixed reality easter egg hunt.

http://vrscout.com/news/vrla-2017-easter-egg-hunt-mixed-reality-afternow-hololens/

Yeah, the Easter Egg hunt exhibit was pretty cool...

But similar to XR, very few references to "mixed reality" at the booths that I visited overall... (But there were a few... Just like there were a smattering of "holo" names...) Anyway, one single VR convention does not a trend determine, but I'm just trying to share my observations... (As I said before, it's early days and everything could change... For instance, if Magic Leap or Apple comes out with some amazing new technology and terminology... Time will tell...)

Last edited:
•••

But similar to XR, very few references to "mixed reality" at the booths that I visited overall... (But there were a few... Just like there were a smattering of "holo" names...) Anyway, one single VR convention does not a trend determine, but I'm just trying to share my observations... (As I said before, it's early days and everything could change... For instance, if Magic Leap comes out with some amazing new technology and terminology... Time will tell...)

Well the one thing you are right about is VR is king. But in 2017 it is the only tech to really have had a commercial push.

I personally believe we will always have VR, but AR and MR will also come into play as time progresses.

But thanks for your observation, to be honest I would be 100% shocked if things were any differen't because the only tech really with is commercially at the moment is VR (y)

•••

But similar to XR, very few references to "mixed reality" at the booths that I visited overall... (But there were a few... Just like there were a smattering of "holo" names...) Anyway, one single VR convention does not a trend determine, but I'm just trying to share my observations... (As I said before, it's early days and everything could change... For instance, if Magic Leap or Apple comes out with some amazing new technology and terminology... Time will tell...)

Diversify :) , Spielbergs movie is coming on March 2018. We got a strong holiday season before.
It will be interesting for VR MR etc...

Last edited:
•••
@VRdommy I just talked to guys at VRLA who are involved with a start-up which is designing software to aggregate and utilize the metrics coming out of VR viewing... They "assure" me the data will all be anonymized and not user-specific, but as I said in a previous post about this subject "VR privacy" is a lot like the corpse at an Irish funeral... "It sure looks life-like, but everyone knows it's dead!" ;)
Google once told us the data they take is anonymized and it was, and then without anyone knowing, when they preformed streetview recording, they recorded the mac address of every wireless router.
Just one of the more famous statements that have shown that anonymous data captures can get very personal if you combined it with other anonymous data.
But it is like Pandora's box, it will be opened because it can. A inch at a time as nobody notices or cares.
Just a historical observation. I'm not asking if but when.
Thanks for the input from the show !

I might remind everyone that while we will see the MR Goggles hit the showroom floor in numbers this fall, 99% of the content viewed with them will be VR. It will take a few years before any MR content can show itself and the question then becomes 'is it compelling enough to grow ?'
But VR will probably outnumber MR content more than 30:1 2 years from now so it has a long way to go.
So the keyword decisions have a uphill battle with the consumer.
And that leaves a new keyword a lot of room to work itself in. JMHO
Anyone here still feel strong about 9D ? ...LOL...

•••
Google once told us the data they take is anonymized and it was, and then without anyone knowing, when they preformed streetview recording, they recorded the mac address of every wireless router.
Just one of the more famous statements that have shown that anonymous data captures can get very personal if you combined it with other anonymous data.
But it is like Pandora's box, it will be opened because it can. A inch at a time as nobody notices or cares.
Just a historical observation. I'm not asking if but when.
Thanks for the input from the show !

I might remind everyone that while we will see the MR Goggles hit the showroom floor in numbers this fall, 99% of the content viewed with them will be VR. It will take a few years before any MR content can show itself and the question then becomes 'is it compelling enough to grow ?'
But VR will probably outnumber MR content more than 30:1 2 years from now so it has a long way to go.
So the keyword decisions have a uphill battle with the consumer.
And that leaves a new keyword a lot of room to work itself in. JMHO
Anyone here still feel strong about 9D ? ...LOL...

Question is, if you call them MR goggles now and the consumer will call it MR goggles (because its written on it and a part of Windows MR) .. What would be the outcome.

•••
•••
IMG_1341.JPG
So much fun playing star wars on the htc vive i could play it for hours even though it was only a short version a full version would be awesome maybe someone has seen if one is coming out soon.

@VRdommy would probably be the best to know this

Last edited:
•••
Question is, if you call them MR goggles now and the consumer will call it MR goggles (because its written on it and a part of Windows MR) .. What would be the outcome.

It's a good point, but I still can't see MR replacing VR when all the content is VR. However, another word could (which describes both VR and MR content, especially when viewed in Microsoft headsets).

•••
It's a good point, but I still can't see MR replacing VR when all the content is VR. However, another word could (which describes both VR and MR content, especially when viewed in Microsoft headsets).

MR won't replace VR, they are two differen't experiences.

Microsoft are pushing the term Mixed Reality for an headset and OS that encompasses all realities from VR through to MR.

This was a quote from the CEO of Avegant a couple of days ago:

https://www.ft.com/content/9ce5b460-2299-11e7-a34a-538b4cb30025

“Mixed reality will become more of a general device and VR will become more of a niche application,” said Ed Tang, Avegant’s founder and chief technology officer. “MR is less of an isolating experience and more inclusionary.”

Even Magic Leap are still sticking with the MR terminology:

Screenshot_20170418-124306.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back