Domain Empire

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
meta-quest-downloads.png

•••
Intel Project Alloy - A Must Read
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3108...first-open-source-third-party-vr-headset.html

The pace of change with new VR product designs is about to increase exponentially.
And while this is one thing to move that along, it's not the only thing.

...MORE...
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-project-alloy-vr-ar-merged-reality
Merged reality has to be the worst reality based name around but hang on only one was worse than it transmogrified reality

•••
Merged reality has to be the worst reality based name around but hang on only one was worse than it transmogrified reality
I agree somewhat, but to put it into context, Everyone was creating their own terminology for their own platforms.
Hence XR and Qualcomm. You should well remember some of the tangents names was taking on these announcements. Most not from major chip manufactures though.

Intel never wanted to go consumer level. They were just creating a open source hardware and software platform for development. They just wanted to sell the chips, and giving you the tools to create the need and demand.
If you look at the architecture of what was in the pipeline, it was not much different from what Apple is actually doing with external cams for enviroment and hand tracking as well as pass-through AR.

If you look at Qualcomm and XR , they mimicked Intel without going totally open-source.
Intel dropped out because Qualcomm was just beating them in the cost of production of small scale cpu/gpu SOC and if you look at the timing, they dropped out of the cell market at the same time.
The Snapdragon chip they use for XR is nothing more than a cellphone chip cpu/gpu SOC even though recent versions are more specialize for VR/AR than the early ones.

So for Apple and Qualcomm, the 5G cell tech is on the SOC.

It remains to be seen if Intel will re-enter this market when they finish building new chip fabs in Columbus, Ohio and perhaps some other location. They are trying to get back in the game of making cutting edge (3-4nm) chips. Something Apple has secured by designing their own chip and having it produced by the leader, TSMC, who is also building a US based production facility. So you can see why I think Apple is untouchable and will lead for the next 3-5 years.

I still think even with the recent cuts at MS, the timing is right for a Alfa of Hololens made with Intel chips.
But likely not for about 2 years. Could be interesting but MS and Intel have always had a good relationship.
And there is enough bad blood between Apple and MS that they will never follow Apple in anything more than form. (unless they can steal it and get away with it)

It could be we see one more major strange dev platform name (or more) in the medium term.

Like everyone else, I am just anxious for this to get rolling well with competition. It's just not good for us if one or even two dominate.

Last edited:
•••
I agree somewhat, but to put it into context, Everyone was creating their own terminology for their own platforms.
Hence XR and Qualcomm. You should well remember some of the tangents names was taking on these announcements. Most not from major chip manufactures though.

Intel never wanted to go consumer level. They were just creating a open source hardware and software platform for development. They just wanted to sell the chips, and giving you the tools to create the need and demand.
If you look at the architecture of what was in the pipeline, it was not much different from what Apple is actually doing with external cams for enviroment and hand tracking as well as pass-through AR.

If you look at Qualcomm and XR , they mimicked Intel without going totally open-source.
Intel dropped out because Qualcomm was just beating them in the cost of production of small scale cpu/gpu SOC and if you look at the timing, they dropped out of the cell market at the same time.
The Snapdragon chip they use for XR is nothing more than a cellphone chip cpu/gpu SOC even though recent versions are more specialize for VR/AR than the early ones.

So for Apple and Qualcomm, the 5G cell tech is on the SOC.

It remains to be seen if Intel will re-enter this market when they finish building new chip fabs in Columbus, Ohio and perhaps some other location. They are trying to get back in the game of making cutting edge (3-4nm) chips. Something Apple has secured by designing their own chip and having it produced by the leader, TSMC, who is also building a US based production facility. So you can see why I think Apple is untouchable and will lead for the next 3-5 years.

I still think even with the recent cuts at MS, the timing is right for a Alfa of Hololens made with Intel chips.
But likely not for about 2 years. Could be interesting but MS and Intel have always had a good relationship.
And there is enough bad blood between Apple and MS that they will never follow Apple in anything more than form. (unless they can steal it and get away with it)

It could be we see one more major strange dev platform name (or more) in the medium term.

Like everyone else, I am just anxious for this to get rolling well with competition. It's just not good for us if one or even two dominate.
At least this is the year things are starting to move although slowly . Most are waiting to see what apple brings but from all indications an expensive model designed to get into the right hands first but the year after a cheaper version for all of us

•••
If you are not a fan of 'merged' what do you think of 'mixed' to describe VR/AR wiithin the real world? It's basically the same meaning.

When i bought the 'merged' domain i never bought it for what Intel was promoting it for, i bought it because it made sense and i believe 'merged reality/realities' will have some relevancy due to techs 'merging' (VR/AR/metaverse/AI/Iot/crypto/NFTs etc), some companies still promote 'merged reality', Ericcson for one and if company of Ericcson's size still use this term and Intel have in the past, there is something in it, i agree with you that transmogrified reality (your example) and things like hyper reality are nonsense terms.

I regret some of my buys, but the merged domain i have is not one of them.

Ps:- the one i bought from you i don't regret either *please don't type the domain in full* I might have overpaid slightly (was in my noob days), but love the name as a brand, gets used a lot now on social media/news articles and domain extentions outside of .com are starting to be registered.

Last edited:
•••
If you are not a fan of 'merged' what do you think of 'mixed' to describe VR/AR wiithin the real world? It's basically the same meaning.

When i bought the 'merged' domain i never bought it for what Intel was promoting it for, i bought it because it made sense and i believe 'merged reality/realities' will have some relevancy due to techs 'merging' (VR/AR/metaverse/AI/Iot/crypto/NFTs etc), some companies still promote 'merged reality', Ericcson for one and if company of Ericcson's size still use this term and Intel have in the past, there is something in it, i agree with you that transmogrified reality (your example) and things like hyper reality are nonsense terms.

I regret some of my buys, but the merged domain i have is not one of them.

Ps:- the one i bought from you i don't regret either *please don't type the domain in full* I might have overpaid slightly (was in my noob days), but love the name as a brand, gets used a lot now on social media/news articles and other domain extentions of it are starting to be registered.
For sure mate mixed seems to be thrown more and more around . I personally just want the majority to say xr either call it mixed , extended etc etc . We tend to shorten things such as vr , ar , ai etc so i feel personally xr will become the catch all term . But best of luck mate with merged i hope you make bank on it.

Getting closer and closer each day a big jump from 2016 time so i hope all here realize a return on years of investment

•••
There is also Simulated Reality SR, heard it on CES for some SR monitors.
I prefer AR for All Realities although XR can mean the same thing like in place of X Any Reality and again AR for it.

Last edited:
•••
There is also Simulated Reality SR, heard it on CES for some SR monitors.
I prefer AR for All Realities although XR can mean the same thing like in place of X Any Reality and again AR for it.
Samsung did announce early mention xr 2 days ago

Attachments

• A5FEA8B9-9B48-4992-848E-2F110B303E89.webp
    17 KB · Views: 41
•••

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I always follow the hardware, as it tells you what might be possible in the software and then NAMES.

While this sub-niche does not seem to make much news anymore, it is alive and well in new hardware since it was last any kind of a issue in this thread. Take a look...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/360-spherical-cameras/ci/29202/N/3705627360

I have 3 large heavy lifter drones/UAV's and looking for a better 360/3D cam to play with.
It is remarkable how cool this is when filming in a city and some wilderness areas.
So, much to my surprise, the amount of choices at all levels.
I did start making my bets on this sub-niche about 10 years ago.
I still can't see the demand for names here until there are plenty of HMD's in the field.
It's a logical assumption that it will eventually flourish. I am priced to HOLD'm .

•••
Last edited:
•••
No, merged reality was something different. It was having real objects placed (virtually) into your virtual world. Mixed/augmented reality is virtual objects placed in your real world.

•••
@cordoba I hope you bought some XR names besides the passthrough ones.

•••
•••
So the review embargo was lifted on the new PSVR and is set for the public unavailing on feb 22.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-are-in-amazing-vr-tech-but-not-enough-games/

2 of the largest complaints were the price when you include the PS5 and the fact you are still teathered.
And to that I would say that so far no VR HMD that has shown high performance has not been. That is because a stand-alone has to have the CPU/GPU on it and that is what creates the issues with size and weight (extra battery and heatsinks), so lesser CPU/GPU's are used which lower the power consumption and cures all.
That may continue to be the case until Apple releases it's HMD.

Speaking of which

Apple's AR/VR Headset Will Reportedly Be Revealed at WWDC​

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/apples-arvr-headset-will-reportedly-be-revealed-at-wwdc/

If you keep guessing it will be announced at their next event, you will eventually be right !
But it makes perfect sense this time. And I didn't need some Bloomberg reporter to rumor me that.

I am ready for the high speculation name buys on the announcement. But somehow, I am always surprised.

Last edited:
•••
I'm now able to report a recent "Holo" related sale...

HoloClass / com out the door at DAN for $3k USD... (Admittedly, a smallish sale, but still serves as near-term validation for the future branding value of "Holo" names...IMHO... (y) :xf.wink: )

Last edited:
•••

HoloClass / com out the door at DAN for $3k USD... (Admittedly, a smallish sale, but still serves as near-term validation for the future branding value of "Holo" names...IMHO... (y) :xf.wink: )

hey bud nice sale... but the name is good too... I have bout 15 holo... hoping big for hologram.,one some day...else its half decent stuff holopixels and few more...

•••
quiet with vr but recently regged fresh expire longtail... virtual reality matrix...... happy days..

oh and just today a rare offer gd...100 for kingdomvr... which is nice bransable or otherwise... countered round 5k... .see what happens

•••

Nothin smallish about it unless you paid 2k for it. LOL
They all can't be 5 figures. Good for you. Thanks for sharing.

•••
Nothin smallish about it unless you paid 2k for it. LOL
They all can't be 5 figures. Good for you. Thanks for sharing.
Hand reg, so a very long hold (regged 2009), but all good! :giggle:

Last edited:
•••

I'm sure this will keep @cordoba happy for a little while.
I believe he is or was holding quite a few HOLO's
I'm just wait'n to see if/ how they use it.

•••
@Elad n I see that XRP*rn sold on dropcatch for 5k. Wasn't that your domain?

•••
@Elad n I see that XRP*rn sold on dropcatch for 5k. Wasn't that your domain?

Was mine between 2017 and 2019.
Sold it in 2019 and bought it back now for 5k

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back