IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
With Sony about to release PS5-VR, perhaps before xmas, and oculus latest stand alone sales exploding, I was finding it hard to believe that Microsoft would be sitting this next wave of incremental boost to VR alone.

So, perhaps not...
https://uploadvr.com/xbox-vr-support-message/

It should be pointed out that platform only apps do not help names much. Sony, Apple, MS and FB
There are exceptions.
But when you look at Apple's 100's of thousands of apps, you will not find many with more than one web page normally created for the author/co who also freelances specialized apps..

•••
They've confirmed it's not about vr ...
The 2nd point you make is true and worrying..
Our success lies in the success of WebXR

•••
Facebook shows off how you’ll use its neural wristbands with AR glasses

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/18/...bs-emg-wristbands-ctrl-labs-ar-interface-demo

Visual_3.0.png

•••
Not sure how many follow football (soccer) here, but for those that don't you will have heard of Manchester United, one of the most recognisable sports brands in the world, a football team who claim they have over 1.1 billion fans worldwide.

Anyway they got a new shirt sponser yesterday for £275m ($326 million) over 5 years.

Looks like AR is going to be part of TeamViewers plan for the Manchester United deal:-

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/manutd/

Could be good for the potenital growth of virtual tech.

•••
Magic leap are changing the way they market themselves (for the better)

Instead of saying spatial computing they are now referring to the device as an Augmented Reality device+focus only on enterprise.

The whole site changed.

Last edited:
•••
Magic leap are changing the way they market themselves (for the better)

Instead of saying spatial computing they are now referring to the device as an Augmented Reality device+focus only on enterprise.

The whole site changed.
That is no surprise. It is a AR device, spatial computing or not.
They had targeted enterprise in the beginning, the medical field in particular.

I believe they still suffer from the same not so great field of view issues that could make it compelling for the money if they would fix that. They are not alone. And I have known it is not so easy to do and it would not make it any cheaper if they could.

I believe Microsoft has a advantage for enterprise. At least for now. There are other quite players.

•••
Apple could announce their headset as early as June : https://www.imore.com/apple-arvr-headset-be-announced-next-several-months-says-gurman

The next 12 months could see the Apple mixed reality headset, the PlayStation VR 2, a HTC rival for the Oculus Quest, an Oculus Quest 2 pro edition and perhaps an Oculus Quest 3.

In addition, several major AR glasses coming on to the market.

Things could start getting crazy very soon!

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Apple could announce their headset as early as June : https://www.imore.com/apple-arvr-headset-be-announced-next-several-months-says-gurman

The next 12 months could see the Apple mixed reality headset, the PlayStation VR 2, a HTC rival for the Oculus Quest, an Oculus Quest 2 pro edition and perhaps an Oculus Quest 3.

In addition, several major AR glasses coming on to the market.

Things could start getting crazy very soon!
Kinda expecting Apple VR/MR device before the year is out but we know they announce and preview months ahead. And of course, I want to see just what the polished product is capable of.

Crazy is good !

I do predict that it will cost over $750us

Last edited:
•••
I should have added that I expect Apple to release 2 versions.
But perhaps not at the same time and wide cost difference.
The cheaper one will be first to help build content out.

If the rumors are true and they are releasing a dual 8k hmd, you can bet that is going to cost over $900us
But I think that 'may' be gen2 or for some contract for the pentagon or other enterprises.

•••
Kinda expecting Apple VR/MR device before the year is out but we know they announce and preview months ahead. And of course, I want to see just what the polished product is capable of.

Crazy is good !

I do predict that it will cost over $750us

If it is as light as they say (lighter than an iphone!) And has pass through so I can watch movies while drinking or even eating, then I would buy it even at the $3,000 that has been quoted by a couple of insiders. If they get it right, they could almost make the TV, phone, and computer redundant (in the home) straight off the bat. I'd pay $3,000 for that.

•••
If it is as light as they say (lighter than an iphone!) And has pass through so I can watch movies while drinking or even eating, then I would buy it even at the $3,000 that has been quoted by a couple of insiders. If they get it right, they could almost make the TV, phone, and computer redundant (in the home) straight off the bat. I'd pay $3,000 for that.
I would agree if it were all those things, it would be worth the money.

But this device they are releasing first is not a visual pass-through AR as in glasses.
That is what the cams do for the AR.

It is full VR display with AR imposed from the cams.
Extra cams are used to determine size, distance, position, color, texture of objects (that can be used by computer code for enhanced effects) All the extra cams you hear about in the rumors are not exactly for direct visual, but that computer reading of objects. 'MAPPING'

So the real world is seen by the cams, imposed on the VR screen, and computer generated imagery used in front or 'OR IN PLACE OF' objects on that screen.

Through most of this thread, I have called it a 'psudo-AR' for understanding, while MS has called it mixed reality.
No matter what you call it, it is the first step to one of the oldest definitions we have which is virtuality.
I certainly do not expect it to do all the things I imagine later models with faster CPU/GPU's will be able to do, but it lays a very good foundation like none we have seen.

And we are going to know all about it this year !

The pass-through glasses AR device is not to be released for at least one more year, I suspect 2 more years. I think the app development on this years device will help in refining the final product in true AR glasses later. I suspect many are still expecting more than will be delivered with the glasses. But we shall see.
But at least something will be out there to build on.

•••
Couple of other things about the new Apple VR/AR device,
I expect it to work hand and hand with the phone, much like a apple watch.
But a complete stand alone I would doubt.
As we have seen, you just can't quite cram all the cpu/gpu for enough power most are expecting and lightweight and have enough battery to last a hour or more.
Offloading some of the work, and power requirements for it, to the phone is the only answer.
We shall see soon enough.

•••
•••
Microsoft signs a contract with the Us Army to supply them with 120.000 Hololens modified units, for a 10-year contract of 21.88 billion us dollars.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/31/22360786/microsoft-hololens-headset-us-army-contract
Well, those pentagon/military/government contracts are what is pushing development right now.
To expensive for the consumer.
Quality may not be what you would want but for their purpose,and specifications, it's just fine.
Think enterprise for the next 2 years.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I would agree if it were all those things, it would be worth the money.

But this device they are releasing first is not a visual pass-through AR as in glasses.
That is what the cams do for the AR.

It is full VR display with AR imposed from the cams.
Extra cams are used to determine size, distance, position, color, texture of objects (that can be used by computer code for enhanced effects) All the extra cams you hear about in the rumors are not exactly for direct visual, but that computer reading of objects. 'MAPPING'

So the real world is seen by the cams, imposed on the VR screen, and computer generated imagery used in front or 'OR IN PLACE OF' objects on that screen.

Through most of this thread, I have called it a 'psudo-AR' for understanding, while MS has called it mixed reality.
No matter what you call it, it is the first step to one of the oldest definitions we have which is virtuality.
I certainly do not expect it to do all the things I imagine later models with faster CPU/GPU's will be able to do, but it lays a very good foundation like none we have seen.

And we are going to know all about it this year !

The pass-through glasses AR device is not to be released for at least one more year, I suspect 2 more years. I think the app development on this years device will help in refining the final product in true AR glasses later. I suspect many are still expecting more than will be delivered with the glasses. But we shall see.
But at least something will be out there to build on.

Even if it just has the ability to impose your hands and cup or can of Budweiser into your VR view that would be enough for me. That and a headset lighter than the Oculus Quest 2 and I'd never have need of a TV again.

•••
•••
Oculus Quest 2 gets official wireless-VR mode, 120 Hz support via patch
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...ial-wireless-vr-mode-120hz-support-via-patch/

Just one more step making it more acceptable to more people.
And kinda cool.

I'm even more excited by the simultaneous announcement that they will be adding desk support. So on the Virtual Desktop app (which is amazing already) you can sit at your desk and type on your physical keyboard virtually represented (along with your hands). This is already mixed reality! You have a big monitor in front of you and you look to your right and see city skyscrapers with the flow of traffic down below. You look to your left and you have your virtual TV on which you can stream stuff or just use as a second work monitor. I guess you will soon be able to import your own scanned environments, so that you can work 'from home' while in a hotel room 1,000 miles away. You could even set up a live vr cam to record your living room so you can see your pet cat sleeping next to you while you work!

•••
I'm even more excited by the simultaneous announcement that they will be adding desk support. So on the Virtual Desktop app (which is amazing already) you can sit at your desk and type on your physical keyboard virtually represented (along with your hands). This is already mixed reality! You have a big monitor in front of you and you look to your right and see city skyscrapers with the flow of traffic down below. You look to your left and you have your virtual TV on which you can stream stuff or just use as a second work monitor. I guess you will soon be able to import your own scanned environments, so that you can work 'from home' while in a hotel room 1,000 miles away. You could even set up a live vr cam to record your living room so you can see your pet cat sleeping next to you while you work!
MS has been working on the 'scanned environment' directly from the glasses for over 5 years now.
That really takes a lot of computing power to continuously map a room on changing conditions like you turning your head provides a new perspective or a dog in the room, so, unless they find a way to off-board that cpu crunch, it may be a while. Mapping the near like a keyboard at arms length is a bit easier. But we can all hope. Advancements come everyday.
But that is how these things work.... one step at a time.
I will say, because everyone outside of MS is now using the Qualcomm chips, whenever they get that far along, everyone will be limited to their own software dev in scope. But I did catch a rumor that even MS was experimenting with them.
I would put my money on Qualcomm making this work in hardware before anything else really happens for the consumer.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Oculus Quest Pro will arrive long before any Oculus Quest 3 VR headset
https://www.techradar.com/news/ocul...ive-long-before-any-oculus-quest-3-vr-headset

Sounds to me like Carmac is trying to slow the sudden death of Quest 1, which probably will happen sooner than you might think if nobody is dev'ing for it. That's a new problem.
Likely the Quest2 will be around for 2 more years before Quest 3.
So, all eyes on the quest pro and what tricks it actually has up it's display...
With everyone at least 6 months+ behind them at this point, for a self contained unit, they are competing with themselves.
Just a interesting turn of events. Hopefully, development of programs will take off and that would be good for names.

•••
Regged last year in November with Mrdomain offer of 1,20 euro.
Sold for 400 minus commission and taxes, 327 euro.

C320680B-DFB6-43F9-9A43-0344F02A1898_1_201_a.jpeg

•••
HTC Vive Air Fitness-Focused VR Headset Leaks
https://www.pcmag.com/news/htc-vive-air-fitness-focused-vr-headset-leaks

While I knew Fitness niche was going to be a strong driving force in getting VR in homes,
I never thought anyone would design a HMD for it.
Perhaps this niche is stronger than we thought.
I do have plenty of names for it. Like'n FitnessHolodeck a bit more... VRFitnessRoom(s) as well LOL

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back