IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ya know.. with all the talks we have had over terms,
I don't think that it will be over for the introduction of new terms even in the near term.
But it is a balancing act between popularity and the need for them in the marketplace.
This story, or fight, will continue. Just the names will change.
But I hope everyone will focus on the need for the name in the marketplace.
That comes from understanding what it is and how it will be used.
Buying into a term before it is actually used in real biz is a risk of it's own.
You do need to ask yourself 'how many' of those types is appropriate to buy/hold.

Most of the names I hold will not find the value I seek for a few years and I know that in advance.
Everyone needs to be complacent with patients.
Save your money for now and be ready to jump on opportunity's in the near future.

However, depending on the level of advertising this xmas and beyond, we are likely to see a wave of investor activity late Q1. So, if you are looking to pop a few sales under your declared value, it will be the best time to do it. Perhaps that will allow you to hold-on to some longer bets.
On the other side of things, if you feel you want to drop a term, it can be a opportunity to off-load some to a investor who got sucked-in to it as you did.

Just presenting options for those disenfranchised a bit.

Most new media name investors have no cash to spare, so it does limit investor sales for now, till some fresh money comes around. A couple of good reported sales would help with that.

•••
Disagree they've got more in common than you may think.

. Both comparable in terms of domains extensions registered.

. Both have/had 2 major companies backing the term.

. Mixed and Merged, both are similar sounding/similar meaning.

. Both seemingly marketing terms.

'Mixed Reality' becoming a separate reality from VR/AR was finished as soon as Microsoft started calling their VR devices ‘Mixed Reality’, in same was 'Merged Reality' was at Intel’s 2nd press conference when you realized, they wasn’t promoting 'Merged Reality' what XR is promoted as which looked like the was at their first conference but just as a company marketing term for VR.

For 'Mixed Reality' to have a chance as a new reality and as far as domains is concerned a bigger chance for them to sell, you’ve got to hope Microsoft drop the term ‘Mixed Reality’ in the same way Intel seemingly have done with 'Merged' and 'Mixed Reality' goes back to the drawing board what Paul Milgram described 'Mixed Reality' as and then hope people forget the damage Microsoft did with it and start using the term.

We better stop here lol. Way off.

•••
Most new media name investors have no cash to spare, so it does limit investor sales for now, till some fresh money comes around. A couple of good reported sales would help with that.

This brings up up a good point on realistic pricing. Domainers have to understand the VR market as a whole and it's intricacies and it's audience and how to price their names for such. You can't just tag on an arbitrarily and extortionately high price with the mindset of "I'll lower it later" .... you will lose. Getting the price right is bigger than you think and it matters. Boy did I have an interesting interaction recently.
just my opinion

•••
We better stop here lol. Way off.

It's not way off at all, look on social media to see how much hate 'Mixed Reality' as a term gets, look on social media to see when ever someone mentions 'Mixed Reality' it's about Microsoft.

I do my research mate as i always have a open mind on things, looking for any changes in the industry to make me invest in something new and with 'Mixed Reality' I've just never seen anything to make me invest other than trying to buy Mixed Reality dot com itself.

Just looking on Twitter now, there is nothing on 'Mixed Reality' at all today other than people retweeting a 'Microsoft is having a Mixed Reality event on October 3rd'.

If Mixed Reality is going to be a separate reality alongside Virtual and Augmented, more people/companies should be using it, ever since Microsoft started calling their VR headsets 'Mixed Reality', one of Mixed Reality's biggest advocates Robert Scoble made a video looking like his dog had died at this move by Microsoft/backed away from the term completely and is now all for Apple and ARKit and usage of the term as decreased not increased, that's never a good sign.

Last edited:
•••
This brings up up a good point on realistic pricing. Domainers have to understand the VR market as a whole and it's intricacies and it's audience and how to price their names for such. You can't just tag on an arbitrarily and extortionately high price with the mindset of "I'll lower it later" .... you will lose. Getting the price right is bigger than you think and it matters. Boy did I have an interesting interaction recently.
just my opinion
Pricing ?....As I say from time to time...
Sometimes, you only get the opportunity to sell ONCE ! (narrow sub-niche names)

I have seen plenty of members in other threads miss-out on their less than stellar names.
But sometimes you may have a stellar name but need to wait for similar names to be "used".
How much do you think the last trees in the forest will sell to the lumber yard even if full of insects ?
Or the last house for sale in your school district that happens to be a fixer-upper ?
The volume of need VS the volume of availability helps set the price. Quality 'may' go out the window.
Yes, we are a long way from a shrinking availability of fair names. It's part of the 'guessing game'.
Guess right and be rewarded.

EDIT: I should add that the general high pricing will force many to new options.
That might be a hand reg of a new generic tld.
And you can't corner that market. ...perhaps for a day... LOL

Last edited:
•••
Pricing ?....As I say from time to time...
Sometimes, you only get the opportunity to sell ONCE ! (narrow sub-niche names)

I have seen plenty of members in other threads miss-out on their less than stellar names.
But sometimes you may have a stellar name but need to wait for similar names to be "used".
How much do you think the last trees in the forest will sell to the lumber yard even if full of insects ?
Or the last house for sale in your school district that happens to be a fixer-upper ?
The volume of need VS the volume of availability helps set the price. Quality 'may' go out the window.
Yes, we are a long way from a shrinking availability of fair names. It's part of the 'guessing game'.
Guess right and be rewarded.

It's not a guessing game... If you've done this long enough and/or you've put in the work. It starts to be less of a guessing game and becomes measurable. That should be yours and every domainers goal- to stop guessing and get better at pricing- yes pricing. You think I sell at the frequency I do because I pull random numbers out my a$$... good luck playing your guessing games mate! I'll leave it at that. Price right and be rewarded. Speaking from experience.

•••
It's not a guessing game... If you've done this long enough and/or you've put in the work. It starts to be less of a guessing game and becomes measurable. That should be yours and every domainers goal- to stop guessing and get better at pricing- yes pricing. You think I sell at the frequency I do because I pull random numbers out my a$$... good luck playing your guessing games mate! I'll leave it at that. Price right and be rewarded. Speaking from experience.
I leave no money on the table.

I have promoted 'educate yourself' since I started posting in these threads.
If it were such a finite science as you describe, all of the best names would never get to a investors hands.
You can only work with odds, averages and trends. Hunches and some speculation. All of witch are derived from facts that you need to be aware of.
There are no mind readers in this world to know what someone is willing to pay and when is the best time that they would be willing to pay it.
It's more about 'knowing the potential value' and waiting on that to arrive.

Odds, Averages and Trends. Hunches and Speculation. And they are created from facts.
The better read on the facts the better the speculation.
Problem is the facts continue to change and multiply.
No hurry to sell 'appreciating assets' and my pricing reflects those odds, trends and hunches.
'I run a profitable operation' and that's all I'm willing to share about it.
I can't speak for others, but the fact that many want excessive amounts for less than stellar names helps me sell my less than stellar names easily. So I almost welcome/invite them.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
Augmedics gets $8.3M to bring AR to spine surgery

it looks like " Aug " + keywords is not bad at all.

I have:
aroperation.com.png

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Some may forget that I have barked about computing power and streaming rates for a while.
It will take time but it will come along.
When the great need is there, someone always removes the bottlenecks. Because someone will be willing to pay for their removal. Not until the hardware hits the streets will the need be great.
For now, we have to rely on compression and techniques and that is the smart move made by google to do a 180 video standard. Very important for this as it starts.

That will keep everyone happy and in VR for now till things get better.
Ultimately, we need a 220 degree for video (movies and the like).
Your not going to enjoy a movie if you have to look behind you much. You won't do that laying down either.
But it becomes more real if you do look 50 degrees to the left or right without the screen getting cut off.
probably not a issue for phones and current model HMD's where the FOV is only 100 degrees.
Generally, Only stand-up games and geo viewing really have a need (potentially) for 360 views.

But Oculus and Sony both have warned dev's about pushing the hardware beyond the limits for a degrading experience. It is not helpful to the industry as a whole. The minimum specs don't take things into account like all/any of the TSR's running in the background of any one computer eating up cpu cycles.

No surprise is that the PiMax 8k HMD is going to find a hard time finding a 8k (2x4k) stream to enjoy for a few years. But if you have downloaded content (overnight lol)... watch out. That will come also.
That's 2x4K x 360 degree sphere of the 200 degrees it can view at a time. The highest FOV with exception to StarVR (210) and that's not a consumer product and it's 2.5k x2. It's a massive stream to pull off. Unless you have a large fiber connection, forget it. You can only compress this so far.

I may join the pre-order on PiMax just to experiment with it. I have a project in mind for it. But, it's a bit ahead of it's time.
They are also bringing a 5k version to market and that is close to StarVR's specs.

But I doubt we really need to go past 3k per eye if we get rid of all the space between the pixels.
Samsung is working on it.
Patients, it all takes time and time falls like domino's. Sorry for the long one !

•••
•••
•••
Is Holographic Television Finally a Reality?

If true, this could be a real game-changer for Holo-names! ;)

Well this is good news as I certainly have some premium names in this field -
LightFieldP***
Holo-TV etc.

LightField is certainly the future of VR, and you can bet your bottom dollar that lightfield VR (and AR) will be branded as holo. The question is when will it be here, but from the article it says developer kits could be out in 2019! :D

BTW, on a similar note - does anybody know how to look at the Apple app store online? I don't have any Apple devices and I want to check on how the first AR apps are going to be branded.

Last edited:
•••
Holo.ai
$3,000
Not my sale

Nice. The name is resolving to an apparently Chinese reseller landing page. I don't know if that is the guy who has just sold it or the new owner.

•••
•••
I was considering whether to book an apartment by the beach in Tenerife for the winter today, but was baulking when considering my dwindling income. Having read the good Holo news today, I think I might just go ahead! At least I'll have one last winter where I can lie on the beach dreaming of being rich! :D

•••
•••
•••
I don't know if this was posted a couple of weeks back already, but the manufacturer of the 'holographic' smartphone have revealed what the technology is - and yes, it's also LightField :

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/8/16272838/red-hydrogen-one-holographic-display-leia

"Leia leverages recent breakthroughs in Nano-Photonic design and manufacturing to provide a complete lightfield “holographic” display solution for mobile devices, through proprietary hardware and software. The Silicon Valley firm commercializes LCD-based mobile screens able to synthesize lightfield holographic content while preserving the normal operation of the display.

.Even if the tech works great, though — and that’s a big if — RED and Leia will need to have a credible array of content lined up for the Hydrogen One if the screen is to be anything more than a gimmick. “The Hydrogen program will feature stunning holographic content and 3D sound for movie viewing, interactive gaming, social messaging and mixed reality,” according to RED’s statement today, but it’s not clear where any of that is going to come from.."

And here is the company behind the tech : https://www.leiainc.com/

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back