IT.COM

discuss Here's why .XYZ will fail

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
There has been a lot of hype lately for .xyz because of a small number of big sales. I see a lot of people overextending themselves and pouring a lot of their budget in this extension. Personally, I believe .xyz is doomed to fail. Maybe I'll eat my words, maybe I won't. Here is my case for why I think .xyz will fail:

1) Low number of sales

According to Namebio.com, in the last two years there have been only 867 sales. Only 359 of those have been over $1,000. Yes, these are only reported sales, but unimpressive none the less. Now, compare this with the number of .xyz registered in the past two years, and this number will seem even more minuscule. Most of the names that sold were also premium one word names.

2) No space for innovation

Which brings me to my next point. Because domainers are rushing to register every single available .xyz domain that is decent, it leaves little space for businesses to set up under the extension and promote the extension. This exposure is crucial in order for the TLD to grow. It's getting to the point where you can't find a decent two word .xyz and that's not because they are taken by businesses. Which will certainly stunt its growth.

3) It's ugly

Aesthetically and phonetically .xyz is ugly. It's three syllables, unlike .com, .me, .net, .co... Which makes it harder to say. It looks horrible when it's part of a design or even just typing it. It feels cheap.

4) People don't trust it

Because of all the reasons above and the cheap initial registration costs, there aren't enough legitimate businesses using the extension and there are lot of spammy sites. Starting to type in Google "is .xyz" gives a first suggestion of "is .xyz safe". Same goes for ".xyz domain" (third suggestion).

5) It's not early

I know many of you will say that it's still early for .xyz. But it isn't. It has been around since 2014. It had some initial hype because of Google using it and that hype hasn't materialized. I don't think it ever will.

That's just my two cents. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

•••
block.xyz.....
?

as crypto name it's quite interesting.

I however, like square.com a little better.
As it is already established.

And what is better to say:
I pay with square.
OR
I pay with block.xyz

Last edited:
•••
•••
Why the post says "will"? Imo it failed already. Taking in account .xyz reputation... starting with a famous netsol "deal" where a number of registrants were assigned a free matching .xyz if they did not explicitly optout...

Last edited:
•••
Why the post says "will"? Imo it failed already. Taking in account .xyz reputation... starting with a famous netsol "deal" where a number of registrants were assigned a free matching .xyz if they did not explicitly optout...
I say will, because in the last year the registrations and hype surrounding the extension have picked up. Just check around the forums. People are registering the extension like it's the next gold rush.

•••
Plenty of xyz threads no need for one specifically with your opinions. If you want to know what people think go to one of the existing threads or did you just want to stir the pot?

•••
Plenty of xyz threads no need for one specifically with your opinions. If you want to know what people think go to one of the existing threads or did you just want to stir the pot?
This is a section for "domain discussion". Or are we allowed one thread for the entire forums per extension? :zippermouth:

•••

The Queen of XYZ in namepros.
You got on the wave at the right time... the hight investment with more than 20k XYZ domains you have also helped.

Congrats!
I hope you are enjoying it in the maldives islands under a palm tree.
if there is a free place for me, call me.

•••
The truth is .com maxi mostly only attack .xyz but not .io(usually stands for tech company) or .co (users would accidentally type m after) etc. because in deep heart they knew .xyz is the only threat has chance to overturn .com status symbol.

Last edited:
•••
😂 Did you know your up to 150 K in xyz sales a week is a “small” amount of sales? If that is a downward trajectory I want to see what the opposite looks like. (Glad you have a sense of humor about this too.)

Last edited:
•••
😂 Did you know your up to 150 K in xyz sales a week is a “small” amount of sales? If that is a downward trajectory I want to see what the opposite looks like. (Glad you have a sense of humor about this too.)
My .xyz sales already reached 400K in 22 days. Let them troll and get peace.

•••
As a business man I don't really care much about the hype or the future.
As long as I get in and out at the right time and make some profit.
I think many people losing money because they think too much and dig the hole too big.
I am simple and don't dig hole.

•••
buy some of my good defi & nft xyz domains ;) i know only you can sell them
NFTZone
NFTCorp
DefiMedia
DefiGame
DefiGames

Last edited:
•••
My opinion about XYZ... Its hype!
Yes, the same hype for META Keywords, for .CO or .IO domains, etc...

How many namepros users make significant money with META keywords? A lot! and I sure that the 99% of this domains domains will end up at the bottom of the sea.

Such as marking the proverb: 'it's good fishing in troubled waters.

•••
I think many people losing money because they think too much and dig the hole too big.
great truth!
the text was written by your wife, right ?

•••
Don't wake her up. She is still sleeping! sh...

•••
I think it also has negative connotations. It says 'the end'. To me a company using 'xyz' is saying 'use us last' or 'we're behind everyone else'. I would rather be .abc
But the spam and freebies killed it almost immediately after it started. So it's not a case of 'will' fail.. it already has years ago.

•••
Just because something opposes your view, doesn't mean it's trolling. Like I said, it's my opinion. You may have another. Especially given the fact that you own a good lot of one word .xyz domains and have made some significant sales. However, this applies to people who are trying to get in on the "gold rush" of "xyz". Though you haven't really made any points on why ".xyz" will succeed as an extension.

Last edited:
•••
I agree and I think that's the case for most of the extensions.

•••
People are registering the extension like it's the next gold rush.
... and I really enjoy seeing this :xf.grin: People have the right to believe whatever they want to!

•••
just from reading the title of this thread, I just know the "XYZ" army will have a lot to say about this

Time for popcorn

•••
I think it also has negative connotations. It says 'the end'. To me a company using 'xyz' is saying 'use us last' or 'we're behind everyone else'. I would rather be .abc
But the spam and freebies killed it almost immediately after it started. So it's not a case of 'will' fail.. it already has years ago.
well, it depends on how you look at it.
I give you an opposite example:
.XYZ > The best company because the internet has gone. The ultimate enterprise, the premium service...
.ABC > A company with milk teeth. Small, new and with little history.

•••
hierarchy of domain endings:
com
org / io

now you can guess....

sometimes its good to have .app / .pro, (some cases even better than .xyz / .net)

So, what now??

xyz net info live me
if it doesn't fit the domain name, it's just hype.

•••
... and I really enjoy seeing this :xf.grin: People have the right to believe whatever they want to!
That's not what the discussion and what the post is about. My statement is that I think .xyz will fail as an extension. Not whether or not people are allowed to register or believe in something.

•••
Back