Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
here is how to make money with domains
Mike Man is the teacher again:

Mike Mann‏ @mikemanndotcom Oct 25 2017
Read about it on the pro pages. Sold http://ProPages.com $20,000. Purch 11.1.07 $2005.

he spend $2005 USD in 2007
and sold it now 10 years later for $20K USD

that domain buying decision obviously was not his best decision

but as the domain is good
holding it for 10 years
made it a decent investment

so lesson learned this time:

even if you overpaid
if the domain is good
holding and sticking to a high sale price
even for 10 years

is the way to do it

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You need to look at the roi for his whole portfolio to make a valid judgement. I could cherry pick a name to show a much better (and faster) return than that. I expect many other name pros members can do the same thing.

Having said that, I'm sure he is making more money than I am from his domain activities. :)

•••
(One thing to remember is that Mike Mann needs to sell about $2.5+ million worth of domains per year to break even and that he is NOT a flipper. The average holding time for his sold domains is usually more than 5 years.)

•••
No it is not the matter dear rather it you think practically.
There are many examples that make the profit due to duration gap of saleout a domain.

•••
To put it differently:
To make good sales, you need to make good buys.

•••
You need to look at the roi for his whole portfolio to make a valid judgement. I could cherry pick a name to show a much better (and faster) return than that. I expect many other name pros members can do the same thing.

Having said that, I'm sure he is making more money than I am from his domain activities. :)

you missed the message my friend

he paid by far to much
and the domain was sitting unsold for years

now as he sold it
it was worth it nevertheless

by the way:
doing well is overestimated

thats the latest tweet

Mike Mann‏ @mikemanndotcom 24m24 minutes ago
All my domain sales are way too cheap. Needed cashflow for years, but now that I'm past breakeven as of today no more major discounting.

•••
I reckon he got a better return than if he had invested the money in a pension fund. :)

•••
Holding onto a domain for long period of times doesn't necessarily make it more valuable or increase the likely hood that it will sale. A crappy name today will still be a crappy name 10 years from now. Many domainers falsely believe their domains are like fine wine that gets better with time. Sometimes, you have to face reality that either your domain is overpriced or no one wants it.

•••
when i decide on buying names; i factor in that i may be holding the name for 1-10years in order to maximize my ROI

•••
Holding onto a domain for long period of times doesn't necessarily make it more valuable or increase the likely hood that it will sale. A crappy name today will still be a crappy name 10 years from now. Many domainers falsely believe their domains are like fine wine that gets better with time. Sometimes, you have to face reality that either your domain is overpriced or no one wants it.
In my opinion , times change. Do you remember the chips and numerics craze? Suddenly they were valuable or even 4Ls which were at times going for 30-40 here (2006 for example). No many valued them at the time. Now, you cant even get them for 200.

As for the domain that sold, it is a great sale and was even a great sale at 2007.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back