Dynadot

discuss Have You Switched from Parking Landers to Sale Landers Yet?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Ok,

It's almost 1 month into my 'parking experiment'.

I have been out of domaining for many years and got back i to it around 1 month ago.

Bought/hand regged a bunch of domains (25 -30) roughly. Parked all at Sedo.

I do like to park first just to see if I stumbled upon any winners.

But even the best two will probably earn a combined total of about $1 this month. I think 8-9 years ago these 2 domains would have earned considerably more from Parking.

I had to ask myself, What Am I Doing This For? Naturally to earn money by reselling domains and, hopefully, trading up to improve the value and quality of my portfolio.

To that end, I am going to start pointing my domains from Sedo parking to Sales Landers.

Have you switched from Parking to Sales Landers yet?

Need advice on which Sales Landers to start with. My domains are Listed at Sedo, Afternic, DAN right now. Will add them to Domain Agents this weekend.

Would appreciate anyone who has made this change willing to share advice.

PS. Best parked names, in case you read this far, are: Invite dot TV and Lesbiams dot com (2nd domain is a typo)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thought this question would elicit more comments!!

Anyway, since my Domains are currently parked at Sedo, it was easiest to switch to Sedo Sales landers first.

What I have done so far is:

1- Identify names that I think are sellable, but aren't getting much parking traffic. In general, these are a few of my .orgs and .nets etc.

2 - Changed these domains from Parking Landers to Sales Landers v1 on Sedo

Comments so far: Obviously, too early to tell, but the basic Sedo Sales Lander is very bland (not exciting)

Also, my domains there are Make Offer only because I decided to place BIN prices on only one Marketplace (Afternic)

Anyone else notice an increase in inquiries sales after switching from Parking to Sales Landers?

Thanks!

•••
From my limited experience:

1. Bodis parking works the best for me. The pages are clean, customizable and very good analytics in terms of visits and revenue tracking. Great UI/UX as well.

2. If you have to move out of parking and use sales landers, DAN and NS3/NS4 landers of Afternic are amongst the favourites at NP. You will find a lot of discussion around those in other threads. One can expect more offers as compared to parking when you make a move to these landers.

3. DAN landers allow you to negotiate with the leads directly (in case of make offer). Afternic landers have a contact form which directs the lead to the Afternic agent. It has been observed that conversions might be better at Afternic (but you have no visibility on the stats/leads/offers).

Trust this is useful.

•••
Thanks, SD for your insightful reply.

I have read some of those threads regarding Afternic NS3/4 and DAN and will try them in the future

My thought process was to start with Sedo since my names were already there and didnt need to change nameservers, just click a button

Drawback is my namea are Make Offer at Sedo. I personally prefer BIN with all purchases I make in my life (eg when wife and I were looking for a new house, we eliminated ALL listings that didnt include price as I think most people do) Maybe not the very wealthy

Heard good things about Afternic NS3/4 but dont like the fact that potential buyers are forced to call a number. Maybe this is okay or preferred for very high priced domains.

Also like the DAN setup.

I will probably do some names with Sedo Landers, some NS3/4 and some with DAN

Will be interesting to see if one venue starts to stand out.

•••
Also, I wonder if certain extensions do better on certain Marketplaces?

For example, I believe Sedo is a German company so probably best for .de

I do not have any .de domains, but have a bunch of .tv and .com, with vey few .org and .net

•••
•••
Hi Biggie!!

Lol. Yes, that WAS me!

That was my initial intention, however I noticed a significant decrease in Parking traffic and revenue from 8-9 years ago when I was last involved in domaining.

Now, there are still a few names I will allow for my initial timeframe, but I had to ask myself what is my primary objective(s) for getting back into domaining?

1. To identify new areas of interest that have not been discovered by domainers yet. Think Cannabis 10 years ago.

2. To Re-Sharpen my skills. Do I still have an eye for domains that are undervalued? Can I still hand register winners?

3. Can I still earn money from Parking Revenue? The answer here is becoming very clear after 1 month: yes, but it's not worth it for the domains I have. It apoears Google no longer indexes parked pages, which has put a serious dent in parking earnings.

But my primary objective now is:
4. Sell domains for profit in order to upgrade my portfolio

To that end, I dont think I need the full 3 months with some of my names and want to position them for the highest liklihood of sale

Last edited:
•••
Some other observations for anyone who is interested in following along with my 'experiment'

Switching to NS3/4 Landers at Afternic provides a nice page with the GoDaddy logo top and center. I like this because people are familiar with GD.

As mentioned here and elsewhere, this parking page lander does NOT show BIN even if BIN set at Afternic.

Domainers know you can just go to the Genral GoDaddy homepage and search for the same domain and GET the BIN price that way (assuming the seller has set a BIN) on Afternic.

I assume most sales via Afternic probably occur as a result of end users trying to register the domain at GD, NetSol, elsewhere and seeing the price right there.

Will be interesting to see what channel(s) any offers may come through. Will be interesting to see if I GET any offers.

Lol

Last edited:
•••
Have also directed a couple domains to DAN NS1/NS2 landers, but particularly to test their 'automatic ownership verification' feature that you can enable by clicking this in your settings and adding their text string as your third nameserver.

This could really save time when you buy a previously listed domain, since this feature ,supposedly, identifies me as the new owner, deletes the current listing on DAN, if there is one, and adds the domain to my portfolio.

Will be mega cool if it works! I'm specifically testing this with domains I couldnt list because they were already listed by the prior owner(s)

•••
So I am still waiting to see if this DAN nameserver 3 verification/automatic removal plus adding to my account works.

They say they check daily. So far, it has not been delisted from old owner and automatically added to my accout.

BUT it hasnt been 24 hours yet.

I am specifically NOT mentioning the domain here.

This feature would be amazing and something Afternic should think about implementing...

•••
So I am still waiting to see if this DAN nameserver 3 verification/automatic removal plus adding to my account works.

They say they check daily. So far, it has not been delisted from old owner and automatically added to my accout.

BUT it hasnt been 24 hours yet.

I am specifically NOT mentioning the domain here.

This feature would be amazing and something Afternic should think about implementing...
I have tried it several times and it works. Just not instantly. More like an hour or two

•••
I have tried it several times and it works. Just not instantly. More like an hour or two
Hour or two??

It has now been almost 24 hours.

Just to be clear Did you do anything at all from your side? Other than just adding the 3rd Nameserver verification string

Thank you for responding!

Last edited:
•••
Hour or two??

It has now been almost 24 hours.

Just to be clear Did you do anything at all from your side?

Thank you for responding!
No. Just add the ns3 nameserver string for the verification provided in your dashboard.

Your domain nameservers should have this format

1st ns: ns1.dan.com
2nd ns: ns2.dan.com
3rd ns: the ns3 string found on your dashboard

Dan offers 2 methods: txt record and nameserver.

I always use the nameserver option

Last edited:
•••
Yes, that is exactly what I did.

Still no updates after about 24 hours.

The domain in question ia still listed in the former owners Dan portfolio.

I did not attempt to manually re-add it to my portfolio on Dan because I dont think thia is necessary.

Thank you!

•••
Right now, I am planning to give them the rest of today.

If I don't see the domain automatically added to my Portfolio or still listed by the prior owner, I will reach out to Dan customer service.

Perhaps I did something in the incorrect order, but my nameservers are exactly as you said above, with namserver 3 set to their verification-xxxxxxxxxx string

•••
Quick update.

Perhaps I had originally done something out of order.

I tried importing this domain again and it appeared immediately in my account this time and is no longer listed by the previous seller.

Last edited:
•••
I have now also added my domains to DomainAgents.com.

I like their interface. Was very easy to upload a text file with my domains (up to 40 roughly now).

From everything I've read since I've been back, the advice is to List, List, List Everywhere.

Have switched majority of domains except for the few earning a little parking revenue to Sales Landers at various Marketplaces.

•••
From my limited experience:

1. Bodis parking works the best for me. The pages are clean, customizable and very good analytics in terms of visits and revenue tracking. Great UI/UX as well.

2. If you have to move out of parking and use sales landers, DAN and NS3/NS4 landers of Afternic are amongst the favourites at NP. You will find a lot of discussion around those in other threads. One can expect more offers as compared to parking when you make a move to these landers.

3. DAN landers allow you to negotiate with the leads directly (in case of make offer). Afternic landers have a contact form which directs the lead to the Afternic agent. It has been observed that conversions might be better at Afternic (but you have no visibility on the stats/leads/offers).

Trust this is useful.
VERY Useful! 😁

•••
Right now, I am planning to give them the rest of today.

If I don't see the domain automatically added to my Portfolio or still listed by the prior owner, I will reach out to Dan customer service.

Perhaps I did something in the incorrect order, but my nameservers are exactly as you said above, with namserver 3 set to their verification-xxxxxxxxxx string

Hi @gericsb

The automatic verification at DAN.com always works like a charm. The order of your nameservers is not important, because DNS round robin is often used for load balancing purposes.

It may take some hours (DNS TTL) before the change in DNS will be noticed by DAN. As soon as it sees your verification NS listed and have this feature set to On, the domain will be added to your portfolio. You can speed this up by visiting the lander yourself.

One remark though: the "added date" will remain the same as the date the previous owner(s) added it to DAN. So the domain will not show at the top, when sorting by date added. This is a bug and has been reported by me earlier. No fix yet.

Finally, you might see some stats for the domain from the previous owner, which do not get a reset as well.

•••
Hi FutureSensors!!

Great to have your input, as always 😁

It is probably due to my impatience that I cannot seem to wait for this to happen automatically... Lol

•••
Alright, so for anyone following along, here's a summary:

Out of domaining for 8-9 years. Held about 5 domains over this time.

Just before Thanksgiving I noticed one of my domains that was parked at Sefo had a huge traffic spike and earned a couple dollars. This piqued my interest in parking and domains again.

Started researching, buying, hand regging and listing domains using a bunch of promotional deals for Turkey Day. Bought about 20 domains, cheapest 99 cents up to $4.99 until all the deals were used up.

Parked these at Sedo. Parking revenue either zero to not worth it for my domains.

Did more research and participation here on NP. Discovered new categories: CBD, crypto, etc.

Hand regged some more domains, favorites being: AcousticNight.com, SpecialtyLimos.com, CryptoDredges.com (because what do you use to mine crypto, right?).

Bought a couple domains from NP members, including what I felt was a very fair deal on my first 4 letter.com.

Regged a couple names that caught my eye from the deleted list:
BusyTots.com, PainReliefFast.com

There are more but the above are my favorites so far.

Listed on Sedo, Afternic, DAN, DomainAgents..so far.

Switched from primary objective: Parking to primary objective: Selling.

Swapped to Sales Landers for almost all domains.

Up to about 50 domains now and have to stop, for now.

Been back for about 1 full month now.

•••
Hi FutureSensors!!

Great to have your input, as always 😁

It is probably due to my impatience that I cannot seem to wait for this to happen automatically... Lol

You're welcome :xf.smile:

I agee that it's always frustrating to see that a domain was not properly removed by the previous owner. When you have a certain procedure for adding your new domains to different marketplaces and also register them properly in your own administration, the process is disturbed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back